Ford Fiesta S2000

Time to present my latest completion - Belkits Fiesta S2000. This one is their second kit, and there are indications that they are still finding their way a bit. One such example would be that many of the pegs are semi-circular which is very good for locating parts correctly, but a couple of the pegs are the wrong way around. Overall though, this is a very good kit with just a few bits which need trimming, but it's got a very good level of detail, 'proper' seatbelts, photoetch and lots and lots of decals. In fact, this would be close to being one of the best kits I've done if it wasn't for the niggles and anything related to paper- the instructions are based of CAD 3D line drawings and are really not clear in places (and the order for installing the rollcage in particular is questionable), and the decals are monstrouly thick for the curves they have to go around, albeit nicely opaque. If you want to build a Fiesta kit, I'd definitely go for this one as it builds up to a very nice result, just make sure you go in with your eyes open and try to plan ahead. This build, as is standard for me, is out of the box with the only extra bit being that I cut up the photo-etch fret to create the wing mirror glass.

If you haven't seen the build thread, it's linked below.

And now for the bit everyone wants to see - the photos. First up, a tour around the car from various heights and with various levels of lighting experimentation:

50234148521_8a2fa1c566_b.jpg

50234367852_1c665a4880_b.jpg

50233485603_be8ca33763_b.jpg

50234142821_93751358cd_b.jpg

50234142641_f809eaafb9_b.jpg

50233492463_9ca7f70d7c_b.jpg

50234149081_3c99468459_b.jpg

50234359777_d8232f50b2_b.jpg

Close-up pics weren't completely successful, but here goes anyway.

First up, I tried to get a pic of the roof showing the aerials (which make it awkward to pick up) - also has the added benefit of showing the mirrors:

50234189941_1c9ace606e_b.jpg

I tried to get a close-up of the wheel, which unfortunately just seems to highlight the issues I had with the front wing and doesn't show the suspension (which was a lot of work) at all :(

50234402402_dd72d0fb5f_b.jpg

This one was meant to be the shot of the mirrors, but instead ended up being just a view along the side of the car:

50234190056_f207aae2d2_b.jpg

And finally, I tried to get a shot of the interior. This is one of the most complex parts of the build, and isn't too easy to see when it's completed unless you look closely, and if very tricky to photograph, so I've included an in-progress shot too.

50234243461_5b8bd98f6d_b.jpg

50080613322_fd36357d59_b.jpg

Hope you like it. Thanks for looking.

• Like 12

Thanks for the responses and likes everyone, always good to feel that your work is appreciated.

14 hours ago, JeroenS said:

Another fine addition to your collection. As always I'm curious for your next one!

Thanks, the next one is in the WIP section now... and will be much, much quicker, simpler and more basic.

10 hours ago, CliffB said:

That looks great and I particularly like the full-frontal view :coolio:

Cheers

That was one I was pleased with how it came out too - even if it did need me balancing an inspection lamp on top of the camera while I took the photo!

• Haha 1

Really nice Spiny :)

I know you had some battles along the way but it has turned out looking great, well done :) 

Just off to the WIP section now to see what is next on the bench for you

Ian :) 

Ian

• Thanks 1

To be fair to Belkits, I may just have prematurely become a grumpy old git. ;) Yes, there were some issues along the way, and I definitely wouldn't call this a beginner's kit, but in the end it builds up into a very well-proportioned, good-looking model.

I tend to put any issues I come across into my build threads, not due to grumpiness or complaining, but because I know I've often appreciated the heads up from people who have build a model before me and feel it's only fair to warn anyone following in my footsteps what to look out for.

• Like 2

Thanks, I have to admit that clear-coating over the decals, then polishing the clearcoat has hidden quite a few of the sins in there. It'a also benefited from the favourable lighting during the photography, but even so apart from the bits around the front wings you do need to get quite close to see the flaws.

Partly as a result of these issues, I've ordered a set of Ultimate decal solutions - too late now but if I get more decals like these I'll be ready for them with the Extra Strong solution :laugh:

• Like 1

Very nice. I didn't pick up that the image in your avatar is actually your model.

One question I have for you... do the tyres stick themselves to your shelf? The reason I ask is that I fitted spare Belkits Manta 400 tyres to my yellow Celica and it welds itself to the spot.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Anteater said:

Very nice. I didn't pick up that the image in your avatar is actually your model.

Just tend to put it in there as a little demonstration of what I've just done. :)

As for the 'does it stick to the shelf?' question. The answer is sort of - there's a little resistance when you try to lift it off the glass, but nothing major and barely any more than I get with the Revell USA models which also have vinyl tyres. The Tamiya rubber effect tyres don't stick at all, nor does the Trabant so i guess it's something I'll have to put up with with any vinyl tyred models. Nothing to worry about I wouldn't have said, but glass is pretty unreactive - you may have a different reaction depending on what your shelf is made of.