This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

bigbadbadge

Scratch building question

Hi all.

I have what you may well class as a stupid question.   I have been modelling for a long time and scratchbuild bits and bobs for my models.  Recently I have purchased a Vacform model for the first time and will be having a bash at that one day soon   I have a wanted thread for a DH90 Dragonfly on BM and have been checking Ebay and Kingkit and the like however no joy.  I am starting to think that the only way I might get one may be to scratch build one.  

What I am wondering is where would you scratch builders start with plans and the like, is there any recommended site or store I should go to for this? I told you it was a stupid question!!!

Thanks in advance 

Chris

Chris,

Not a dumb question. I've been down this road myself off and on for a vast number of years. Since the internet has been an every day tool I start there. search question the aircraft in question. Most of the time the first page will get you some information. Found this as a conversion, but you've came across this I think

From the RC side

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?3057683-DH90-Dragonfly-from-Ivan-Pettigrew-s-plans

https://www.airagestore.com/planes/plans/dh-90-dragonfly.html

I use this site a lot.

https://www.the-blueprints.com/

Does require registration to get the large size drawings, it's a free site except for the vector drawings.

This may help. I'm on a new computer and have not imported anything from my windows 7 machine

All The Best,

Ron VanDerwarker

Hi,

In my build quoted above I used Spanish drawings from a book on SCW British, Czech and Polish airplanes 

51fTXkXwC+L.jpg .

Nice set of details drawings are available here 

http://aviadejavu.ru/Site/Crafts/Craft26441.htm

and very  interestink set of photos is here

https://www.dehavilland.co.za/DH90_Dragonfly.html

In net there are easily available drawings like those:

de_havilland_dh_90_dragonfly_1935-36383.

normal_Dragonfly.gif

DH90-b.jpg

Chris, I keep my fingers crossed for you :)

Regards

J-W

Thank you  @f111guru and @JWM, Ron and Jerzy .  That is great there is some info there for me to digest.  I am at work at the moment so will  have to look at later on.  

Thank you both 

All the best 

Chris

Once again thank you @f111guru and @JWM.  Ron , the plans that are sent to you from blueprints.com for example can they be resized easily to 1/72 scale?  Again another stupid question.   I only ask as I am not that great with Maths in working out formulas etc so just wondering how this is done are they sized so when you print out they are the the correct size?

Thanks 

Chris

Posted (edited)

Do you know the size of the wing span ? 

In 72nd, you want to obtain a 36ft span (an example )so  multiply by 4 (mm) giving a measurement of 144mm.

A good print shop will allow you to attempt a few copies before they get the actual size.

For example if the plan has a wingspan of 52mm, (for the 36ft) they will calculate the % increase to obtain 144mm

That has been my experience anyhow  . . . . and now I have a camouflage mask for a 32nd scale aeroplane (972mm)

Edited by Mancunian airman

Just check the dimensions as should be in given scale. Please note, that usually there is a small difference in scale of drawing if you count it from length or from wingspan, so either you can correct it in some graphical software (by appropriate shrinking in one direction by for example 1%) or just accept as one of manifestation of world imperfection  :)

Regards

J-W

Chris,

Blue print site has some scale drawings but most are not. As said above is the dimensions are known the scale values can be converted using math. My apologies for being late on the response and not up to speed on the metric system. Wasn't taught metric system much when I was in school. What I do is take the feet (meters) and inches (centimeters)multiply the feet by 12 add the inches to the sum and divide by the scale. Most what I do is 1/48th scale. So would be divided by 48. I have also used a pentagraph to scale up or down scale drawings. If there is an easier formula out there I'm in the dark on that. But reading the responses you should find what you may need.

All The Best

Ron VanDerwarker

I sometimes have to reduce drawings from 7mm/foot down to 4mm/foot (model railway stuff). To do that I use a photocopier, using this bit of maths;

4 x 100 / 7 = 57

4 being 4mm/ft and 7 being 7mm/ft.

Using that I set the machine to reduce by 57%. So if you know how many millimetres to the foot your original drawing uses you can alter that formula to suit your needs, but remember that 1:72 is 4.23mm/foot, so that should be the first number. Works for me!

A scale rule is useful for double checking the resulting print!

Hope that helps.

Thanks guys will see how it goes, I have bought my first Vacform so thought I would try and master ghat then move onto some scratch stuff.

Thanks all

Chris

Good luck @bigbadbadge 

That’s a challenging but very beautiful and worthwhile subject. I hope to see a WIP on this one. 👍

2 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Good luck @bigbadbadge 

That’s a challenging but very beautiful and worthwhile subject. I hope to see a WIP on this one. 👍

Hi Steve 

I am a bit anxious about it having never done anything like that before and will no doubt put it off as long as I can!!!

I do have another project I am thinking about which is a larger scale project,  but will not say anything else yet incase it all goes pear shaped. 

Thanks 

Chris