Dornier Do 17Z-2 KG3

Hello everyone!

Here is one of my two latest kits finished during this week, both being Mark I Model's 1:144 Dornier Do 17Z-2.
This one represents 5K+EA, Stab./KG3, Luftwaffe, based at Le Culot airfield, Belgium, during the Battle of Britain, summer 1940.

This wasn't an easy build due to poor fit of parts, especially the transparencies. Both together have been 2 months in the making! I made the following modifications/additions:
- The gun barrels were too thick so I cut them off and made thinner ones from stretched sprue.
- The exhausts were way too long. Initially this was helpful as it enabled me to hold them while removing them from the sprues and gluing them in place. I then sanded them down to size and shape.
- The rear underside clear part stood proud of the cockpit bottom. Sanding it down wasn't an option and besides this area slanted up rather than down as it should so I built it up with CA glue and sanded it to shape.
- The spinners were too short. I built up the tips with CA gel and then CA glue and sanded them to shape.
- The underside mast and "towel rack" aerial were made from stretched sprue. The latter suffered some damage from handling. The radio wires were also made from stretched sprue as was the missing wing pitot. After taking the photos, I realized the latter was bent at a steeper angle than it should be (probably due to handling). I fixed it afterwards.
- I added the wingtip lights with blobs of Kristal Klear.
- One of the kit's flaws I didn't correct because I realized it too late was the join of the engines to the nacelles. The engines were correctly round but the nacelles were oval. This meant that the sides have the correct gaps behind the cowlings but the top and bottom don't. I have an idea how to fix this next time I build this kit (I have more in my stash).

The kit was fully painted and varnished with brush.

The outlined "E"s have the white outline too thick and I later found out they should be dark blue not black. I found a profile that suggests the spinner tips should be dark blue too. I left things as they came.

It's not an easy kit and requires work but a decent result can be achieved. I'm pleased with how both came out. I'll be posting the other one in a few days' time.

Thank you for looking and all comments are welcome as always
Miguel

33ed65978cefdc3ac7064f6a4a2b230b.jpg

01dbc83108029f644e5d2aa7e1586db8.jpg

de89a0c70d26aa139424b2041be3b275.jpg

93a0e3f2383306a64e4cd005985d4a12.jpg

818912dd906bf30f99cf36a201c4b9e4.jpg

0592f1c6e4648077c5e7609032bcb1a5.jpg

74b772fac11644d58062665e6e06cb07.jpg

c4b9407f8fafeadc640fbade5d37c9d7.jpg

ee0230c70e239c81be2e00a70fa7df5c.jpg

• Like 37

Thank you very much @Booty003, @VolkerR. and @RMCS.

11 hours ago, Booty003 said:

That is incredible skill on such a small scale Miguel, very well done indeed.  I can barely see 72 stuff these days...!!

11 hours ago, VolkerR. said:

Great job! You are a brave man to tackle a model that small.

Volker

I use a headband with magnifying glasses 😉!

Miguel

Excellent build Miguel. The model looks more Accurate than the ICM 1/48 one. You have done a great job of bring it up to scratch.

I'm making a 1/48 one in my next build group. I have to replace the tail with a resin one to make it look like yours.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Greg Law said:

Excellent build Miguel. The model looks more Accurate than the ICM 1/48 one. You have done a great job of bring it up to scratch.

I'm making a 1/48 one in my next build group. I have to replace the tail with a resin one to make it look like yours.

Thank you very much Greg. One detail I forgot to add in the very tip of the tail was a little position light!

I look forward to seeing your build.

Cheers

Miguel

On 21/08/2020 at 18:39, WildeSau75 said:

Very nicwhat an elegant airplane when looking at it from the side, and what a sturdy looking plane when öooking from the,top. Excellent job!

Thanks a lot! Yes, it is. I was admiring that whilst I was building it.

Miguel