Using up spare sprues from quick-builds

We all have an extensive stash of kits in our lofts, garages, under the bed or wherever, but even if we hope one day to build them all , what about the leftovers? I was thinking this a while back when I unearthed an Armourfast Cromwell sprue and a few other unused sprues from other quick-builds which had donated one example to some other project. I decided to use this and other left over bits and pieces up in a micro-diorama inside a plant terrarium which was equally unemployed.  Now the Armourfast Cromwell isn't all that bad as far as shape goes, it does lack some necessary details which can be added, but the main issue is its size. Putting it simply it is a porker compared with say, the Revell 1/72 Cromwell or the PSC equivalent. This means it could only really appear in a diorama where there were no comparative vehicles in the scale. This is what I started with: 

spacer.png

The question was always going to be how much can I fit in a 12"x 10" box? watch this space...

Edited by Old Rastrickian
picture won't upload
  • Like 1

I know where you're coming from with this. I tend to cannibalise kits for parts and end up with a lot of spare sprues, and then build a model from what's left over.

BTW. I like your avatar. Sgt. Bullimore from The Army Game. Happy days.

John.

• Like 1

First of all I selected a base from 2cm polystyrene packaging(waste not , want not) to fit snugly inside the case. then I built it up with spray on polystyrene builders foam (first time I have used this after seeing railway modelling buffs do it on Youtube) Then I smoothed it off using plaster-impregnated bandage.

y4m-j1ICrmN-qDBQwW29APXCnW1UvmXkmgFPk7w4

spacer.png

That gives the basic shape which is to be a sunken road on a hillside overlooking a ruined farm building. the case is very deep so I wanted to maximise the depth to get more stuff in basically. next I added base colour and sprayed on a textured paint for the road. I then decided that the road wasn't convincing. I may have looked ok on a railway model in suburban England but not a loose surfaced road in 1944 Normandy.

spacer.png

The edge of the road which was to form the base of the hedgerow was added by adding scrapes of the spray filler with PVA glue.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...