1/32 Airfix Morris Cowley

Hi all.

Here's my latest excursion -  Airfix's venerable Morris 'Bullnose' Cowley.  To be more precise, it's their 1926 Cowley (Airfix also did a 1923 version, with same chassis but a different body).

P1110237.JPG

I built it pretty much straight out of the bag, with just a few additions like glazing and some stays for the dickey seat.  I particularly enjoyed the old 'locate and cement' written instructions!

I used Humbrol enamels for the glossy bits and Alclad for the metallics.

P1110579.JPG

P1110572.JPG

P1110580.JPG

P1110578.JPG

P1110575.JPG

Cheers

• Like 22

19 hours ago, keefr22 said:

That's very neat Cliff, lovely little build! That yellow really suits it!

Thanks Keith.  The instructions suggest maroon but, as I'd just finished a burgundy coloured Phantom 1, I fancied a change ;)

18 hours ago, Alpha Juliet said:

Turned out really well for an older model - well done mate!

Thank you AJ.  No real problems with the kit - just a few ejector pin marks and mould seams to deal with.

18 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

Lovely job,she's a beauty and complete with the 'mother in laws' seat...

Thanks Vince.  Speaking as a 'father-in-law', I'd rather put my bickering grand-kids in the back (and put the roof up) :winkgrin:

17 hours ago, johnlambert said:

What a lovely model.

Thanks John :thumbsup2:

13 hours ago, Spiny said:

Superb, it could easily pass for a larger model.:yes:

After your mention of the instructions being written instructions, perhaps I shouldn't have been so harsh on Belkit's instructions :)

Thanks Spiny.  The instructions do give you pictures too (mainly to show you what the parts look like), but you need to read the words to find out precisely where each bit goes.

P1110581.JPG

This style of instructions was the norm for most 60s kit manufacturers and is how many of us were first introduced to terms like 'pitot tube', 'aileron' and (as in this case) 'dickey seat'.

I've recently bought a modern boxing of Airfix's TR4A and was surprised to see that the instruction sheet now comprises the original drawings, but without the words!  I'll have fun with that one, when the time comes :winkgrin:

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, s.e.charles said:

excellent job. red plastic was never a good starting point.

Q: was this an ebay purchase?

thanks

Thank you s.e.c

Yes, I've bought two on eBay within the last few months - this bagged one and a more recent boxed example.  They were £15 and £14.50 respectively (plus postage).

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, CliffB said:

This style of instructions was the norm for most 60s kit manufacturers and is how many of us were first introduced to terms like 'pitot tube', 'aileron' and (as in this case) 'dickey seat'.

You still get these instructions on the Dapol reissues of the Airfix railway kits. I managed to locate the whole jib of a crane in completely the wrong place. I thought it a big odd that the picture of the finished model looked so different. It was only when I found I still had a pulley left at the end that I realized my error! Fortunately I could rescue it but did have to redo all of the rigging. They assume a level of knowledge of part names that very few people have today, which can sometimes make the assembly tricky.

Back to the original thread, nice build, very cleanly finished.

• Like 1

Lovely build and a smashing yellow!

I have built the Airfix 1923 Cowley (much to the annoyance of collectors) and have this one waiting in my stash. I love the old "Locate and Cement" instructions as you got to know what the real names of the parts were. Education as you built.

Dave

• Like 2

Good luck with that, Cliff!

Here is mine that I built eight years ago:

spacer.png

It does scrub up well for a kit issued in 1959!

Dave

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, davecov said:

Here is mine that I built eight years ago:

That looks really nice Dave and the extra detail that you've added to the tool/battery boxes makes a big difference.  That's something that I wish I'd done on my '26 (and probably will do now!).

Cheers

• Like 1

Lovely kit and build so nostalgic  as i built this in the late sixties as a teenager. Wish Airfix would  re-release these again.

• Like 1