VEB Plasticart 1/100 Mil Mi-4 - Civil Scheme - Finished

Nice to see 1/100 represented Adrian, and with such a cool subject too :coolio:

I've got a few VEB kits in my stash, but for some reason have yet to start one..........

Cheers

• Haha 1

Having built three different models in a fortnight, I’m back on the case.

more sanding to get a better fit to the plan profile. I’m pretty happy now:

4359-DA89-4-BF4-459-B-AEA3-930-E7-C9-CB7

Scribe guidelines for the major features and start cutting them out:

6-D91-CA27-B46-D-4-C28-A8-B0-2-E232971-F

Maybe I should have represented the windows with black paint... too late now:

A0-C558-AB-D1-FE-420-A-A4-FF-F4774386-DE

Next steps are to re-do the cockpit interior, resist the temptation to open the passenger door and put some backing in for the engine cooling gills.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 5

Cockpit interior is re-done with the prop shaft housing and a more realistic standalone instrument panel:

6-C6-AA437-1-F96-4511-8296-206897-D59-E2

The front side will be painted to look like a canvas cover. Couldn’t resist some arm rests:

24-B4-DDC7-06-E5-4295-91-DA-E37-AC9-E468

And here’s why that door is staying firmly closed!

8-BC1-A2-DC-75-A8-4223-A467-393-C56-D225

Interior paint next, followed by nose weight, support for a relocated rotor axle, and passenger window glazing. Then I can button it up. I will leave the nose cap off as long as possible so I have a way of getting rid of construction dust and debris.

• Like 4

I get the feeling that I won’t be using much of the kit:

22468-AD5-D65-E-4695-B0-E3-327-ECEFD8-A5

The tail rotor looks usable and the main rotor hub has a good core shape but everything else is off or crude or both. I’m going to do a version with spats so I won’t even be using the wheels!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

I get the feeling that I won’t be using much of the kit

Adrian,

I was thinking the same thing. Doesn't matter. Some excellent corrective work underway. Entertaining to watch.

Ray 

• Thanks 1

Starting with the intakes. My daughter left behind her cooking blow torch (*) when she went back to college so I’m going to use it for it for plunge moulding:

9763250-B-3-B0-E-48-DF-B82-B-934-A676253

i started with 20 thou but stepped up to 40 thou. Cut out, lip added and drying before trimming and sanding:

FFE65-D12-333-D-4-D52-9-AF2-9-A8-C1567-D

(*) no, I never felt the need for one of those  either when I was at college!

• Like 5

I hadn’t spotted this until I was trying to line everything up just now. The window is much deeper than depicted in the kit. So I’ve cut over 2mm off the sill on the left half and need to do the same to the other one:

571396-B9-264-E-4136-8767-87-C4-CA4-A257

The kit windscreen will no longer fit, of course...

This explains why the sliding “side windows” have such small panes of glass, relatively speaking, because they are more like doors than windows. I wonder if I would have spotted this more readily in my usual 1/72 scale?

• Like 3

Of course, having deepened the side windows I realised they were also too short front to back, so I excised another 1.5mm from the rim of the opening and moved the panels further back.

Meanwhile, the nose weight is in with epoxy resin and I’ve been looking at windscreens:

F2-BB8732-5-C23-4-AB9-B733-88-AA74-C423-

Note how the cockpit roof is much too narrow. I am planning not to notice that!

• Like 7

On 9/6/2020 at 6:45 PM, AdrianMF said:

My daughter left behind her cooking blow torch (*)

when she went back to college

I have a dire suspicion about how they teach in college to use a blowtorch:

is this some kind of special college for secret agents?

😁

On 9/5/2020 at 10:09 PM, AdrianMF said:

Maybe I should have represented the windows with black paint...

No, no! Only not that .... it is better to use colored paper as it was in the Soviet era kit -  Mi-4 at a scale of 1:50, which was made by the Donetsk Toy Factory, it's authentically for that time!

😁😁

B.R.

Serge

• Haha 1

Hi Adrian,

Another enthusiastic demonstration of what you can achieve with any kit . I think your expectation of "slap it together for a bit of fun" was accurate for the Milliput used.

Ray

• Thanks 1

It’s been a busy week at work but back to the bench today. I think I’ve got the nose to the right shape in front of the cockpit now and I’m confident that I can make a windscreen that will fit:

3-D517-F26-EE5-A-49-DB-9-D1-D-7-DE3-EDDD

so the next step is to make the undercarriage and get the fuselage drilling out of the way before fitting the windows and closing it up.

• Like 6

Hi Adrian,

An interesting project!

At least the militaty version has stairs from the cargo bay to the cockpit behind right-hand side pilot seat. Might be in the civil birds too?

In general it would be much easier to built a Hound from either KP (dimensionally and shap-wise more accurate) or HobbyBoss (better detailing and likely easier to built) 1/72 kits or for best result combining them.

Cheers,

AaCee

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jinxman said:

will of iron

My wife prefers to describe it as “stubbornness of a mule”...

2 hours ago, AaCee26 said:

it would be much easier

I bought it on a whim to see what it was like. I know there are better and easier options, but I just like the challenge. I could have built it straight from the box and called it a Mil Mi-three-and-a-half...

• Haha 4