1/72 Dragon/Cyber Hobby Sea Vixen FAW.2, XP922, 899 Sqn, HMS Eagle 1971

1/72 Dragon / Cyber Hobby Sea Vixen FAW.2, XP922, 899 Sqn, HMS Eagle 1971

I had this one sitting on the Shelf of Doom for quite some time so decided to show it some TLC.

Replacement resin nose and seats as the kit ones were awful.  I also extended the front gear a few mm to raise the nose and improve the sit to replicate the nose high look.

I have heard a few grumblings about this kit but I had a pleasant build overall and for me it looks every bit like the Vixen.

Airbrushed using Tamiya XF-24 for the EDSG and Tamiya white. Flory wash used to highlight the panel lines and add some general grubbiness to the belly.  Cartograph decals went on a treat.

I plan on building the new Airfix Buccaneer in the HMS Eagle scheme as I think that they will make a great looking pair.

Phil

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 34

Very nice.

I've got one in the stash complete with Pavla Nose Cone and a new set of seats. Hope it looks as good as yours.

Out of interest, how much weight did you have to put in the nose?

• Like 1

Cheers all.  The kit nose is too rounded at the tip - almost looks blunt compared to the sharp look of the real thing.  I would say that a resin replacement is a must have for this.  Both bang seats are way too small but you can easily get away with just replacing the pilots one if you wanted to build with canopies closed up. 

I can't recall how much weight I added up front as this had been sitting built for many months before I pulled my finger out and finished it. 

Good to hear that it has inspired a few of you to give one a build.  A very unique looking aircraft that would look great with other RN jets from that bygone era.

Phil

• Thanks 1