Hobby Boss 1/350 Type VIIB U Boat

This is my first foray into maritime modelling so go easy. 😆

This won't be the last u boat as there have been a few lessons learnt that I'd like to put into practice on further projects.

p?i=5a298be0ee70b7e5b8e15d10083f9a7d

p?i=0aeee23050236cd0bacb6add70c35683

p?i=849c15797f7b0a1487dbbb8c0ef76961

Now the interesting bit. When I decided on this kit I did a bit of research on the internet. One of the decal options is the black cat x 3. One of the boats that wore that emblem, the first I think, was U-48. 

Reading up on U-48 one of the ships it sank was the Firby. Just about every day when I'm on leave I walk the dog across the fields to Firby, just a few houses and wouldn't even be described as a village. Surely a ship wasn't named after this Firby?

Well, the Firby was built by  W. Gray & Co Ltd, West Hartlepool who just happened to ownThorp Perrow a large house and estate a stones throw from Firby. The descendants of the owners,   Sir R. Ropner & Co Ltd, West Hartlepool, live there now. So the ship  was definitely named after Firby near Bedale. Quite a coincidence. 

Roger. 

• Like 29
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, beefy66 said:

Cracking job there Roger will you be sticking with 350 scale for your future builds 

beefy 

Thanks Beefy.

I have a Bronco 1/350 IXB, also the Revell 1/144 VIIC/41. Not entirely sure which will be next but tempted to have another go at 350. 

18 minutes ago, dolphin38 said:

Very nice U-Boat :thumbsup:

Thank you. 👍

2 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Now't wrong with your sub build Roger, up there with your other lovely builds. Good work.

Stuart

Cheers Stuart, maybe those three shore drafts to Fazzers has had some kind of sub conscious effect. See what I did there? Clever that for a skimmer. 😉 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, whitestar12chris said:

Cracking job Roger, welcome to the dark side (submarines), a lovely build of a VIIB, enjoy.

Ref the IXB, isnt that by Bronco, didnt know AFV did one?

All the best Chris

Thank you very much Chris.

Your absolutely right, it is a Bronco kit. I'll go back and amend that. I think it was because I had been looking st the AFV Club VIIC online.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ForestFan said:

Nice job and backstory! I must have a go at doing one of these, it’s just the rigging and railings that put me off....

Thanks very much.

That was exactly my fear too and they weren't without their difficulties but with a bit of care and forethought they aren't too bad. Having said that I'll have to build s couple more before I'm better at it.

Roger. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, clive_t said:

If this is your first crack at a maritime subject, it's not evident at all from the photos! Wonderful work !

Thanks very much Clive.

Unfortunately the second one has turned into a bit of a disaster...... however number three seems to be shaping up well.

Roger.