Airfix 1/72 Ford Tri-motor

Hello all.

Over the last few months (okay, years then), I have found great comfort in building old models. In the firing line this time was this beauty, the Airfix 1/72 Ford Tri-motor (originally issued 1968). I had an early boxing, and it was in pretty good condition. It even still had the old style written instructions. I needed help on this, and one of our BM'ers was able to send me an illustrated guide. Others helped out with their builds, and even some plans. The transfers (decals/stickers/markings) were unusable, so I hunted for an alternative. I found a lovely colourful sheet by Blue Rider (BR255) which gave a number of options for aircraft of the Gran Chaco War. These were Bolivian aircraft, so I ordered it. When the sheet arrived, I found that the Tri-motor markings were 2x Ford logos and 2x registration numbers! Anyway, enough waffle. If anyone is interested, the Comedy of Errors work in progress is here:

Here she is:

DSCN6304

Rigging was InfiniModel 75 denier rigging thread.

DSCN6305

DSCN6302

The three fuel filler caps were 1/350 scale HMS Dreadnought coaling scuttles.

DSCN6299

It was fun getting the markings down over the corrugations. I used 'Pledge' this side, and the Micro Set/Sol system the other.

DSCN6298

I brush painted the window surround Revell Silver acrylic, and rattle-can sprayed the Humbrol Aluminium. Engine pods were scribed for some approximate panel lines and screws, and were painted with Mr Metalizer Steel and buffed with a cotton bud.

DSCN6295 (2)

I modified the tail wheel with some brass rod bent to shape and fitted as a 'yoke' to the lower fuselage.

It was a tricky build, but I really had fun with it!

Thanks for looking, and for those who helped out!

All the best, Ray

• Like 47
  • Thanks 1

That is really nice. Everything about it says "great care taken in the process". You handled the decals superbly; details are awesome, the overall finish is very nice and the model overall is just wonderful!

• Thanks 1

That is lovely,.... really nice indeed. I bought the kit to make an RAAF one used in New Guinea during WW2,..... I`, just researching the camouflage scheme.

• Like 1

Beautiful work on your tri-motor - great to see you added the cable detail to control surfaces as well.

Regards

Dave

• Thanks 1

Thank you all for the very kind observations and 'likes'.

I first saw this kit in 1969 when I was twelve, and I always wanted to have one. Time passed and I never acquired it, but a couple of years ago I ordered a number of kits from KingKit that meant a lot from my past, and now I am very happy that I have been able to build it. It was tricky, and, with 51 years (I think!) hindsight, I am glad I did not try it when I was twelve!

I must say a big THANK YOU to @billn53 for his build which provided much of the inspiration, and @dogsbody for helping out with the pictorial instructions. You both helped enormously!

All the best everyone.

Ray

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Ray S said:

I must say a big THANK YOU to @billn53 for his build which provided much of the inspiration, and @dogsbody for helping out with the pictorial instructions. You both helped enormously!

All the best everyone.

Ray

T'was but a small thing. I was happy to be of assistance.

Chris

• Thanks 1

It's really cool to see people's builds of kits they either previously built or wanted to build in their younger days.

This Trimotor is just superb - you make it look like a Hasegawa or Tamiya offering!

Thanks for posting on BM, as it proves old kits don't have to end up in landfill!

:goodjob:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1