The Summer Duck...finished (Merit Grumman J2F-5 in 1/48)

The aerial is mounted, I woudln't count on historical precision on this, but I wanted to test this construction. 

So, I guess I call this finished. Maybe a few touchups, but I'd say this is it.

Just a few more pictured from the workbench, before I move it to the RFI-Hangar, where I park it next and then move it to the cabinet.

41508679ib.jpg

41508672pv.jpg

41508675oj.jpg

41508674ii.jpg

[/img

]41508673jy.jpg

To sum this up; it could have been rather an easy build. The kit itself I'd say could be done OOTB in just a few days, give it an extra week with the PE set from Eduard.

The opened canopy did cause issues, sure, but mainly due to my lack of experience with it.

What did set me back was a line of mishaps, parts that dissappeared or that I clumsily fired into Nirvana (and some miraculously reappeared again - I'll never forget my wife asking me, if this tiny thingy, she found when cleaning the cat loo is something that I miss? It was the canopy cuff I thought I had forever lost... 🤪 )

But after this long and bumpy road, while not perfect I'm happy with the result.

So, thanks for joining and helping, your support and anticipation was reall helpful on this, both for facts and wisdom as well as for your encouragement.

And now for something completely different...

• Like 7

• Chief Cohiba changed the title to The Summer Duck...finished (Merit Grumman J2F-5 in 1/48)
36 minutes ago, dnl42 said:

That's a grand result! :thumbsup:

it does look good with the canopy open as contemporaneous photos do show that configuration. 

Many thanks! The harder the battle, the sweeter the victory... 😎

To be honest,  the inspiration for the open canopy was more the book in the initial post - I even thought to put some sort of pinup-figure in the passenger cabin. But I'm horrible in figure painting... 😉

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Lovely Duck sir ! :thumbsup: … Whats up next ? 

Many ideas what to start, but I think I will continue the Sopwith Double build. Good modellers finish their work. *cough*

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Martian said:

I like this. So much so that you have me wondering where I put my kit of the Duck. :hmmm:

Martian 👽

Go for it - it can be fun! And if you happen to miss a PE part - I have spares! 😇

• Like 1