92 Squadron Spitfire Mk.I July 1940.

Hello everybody... as some of you know Im a fan of Robert Stanford Tuck. Last year I decided to start building collections of aircraft based on my favorite pilots. I started a build for Josef Pips Priller first and recently started the second series of builds dedicated to R.S.Tuck.

Aqt9htE.jpg
He for some reason has always struck me as the quintessential RAF pilot. My first build in the series was his Mk.Vb and was built for the recent Spitfire group build. I present to you one of his Mk.I Spitfires coded QJ*Z from 92 Squadron July 1940. To build this I used the 1/72 Airfix Mk.I and aftermarket code letters donated by another member from the Forum. cxLW07e.jpg

WiKqRoL.jpg

qrGzY5T.jpg

1OVxw32.jpg

tR61cV1.jpg

7J4Y60X.jpg

xLtdlXi.jpg

zxdgVNp.jpg

wPQPtiX.jpg

qAcNt5f.jpg

Please feel free to ask questions, post comments, and or add thoughts. Feel free to peruse the build WIP or the Tuck build thread. 

Dennis

• Like 52
  • Thanks 1

Very nice indeed Dennis and Tuck did come across as a really nice bloke and superb leader,..... as well as being a fantastic pilot and ace.... imagine how high his score would have been had he not been shot down? I look forward to seeing your other aircraft,...... even some pre war stuff,... Gauntlet or Gladiator,.... 65 Sqn?

Not sure if this is of interest or not?

http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/rstuckdt_1.htm

Cheers

Tony

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, tonyot said:

Very nice indeed Dennis and Tuck did come across as a really nice bloke and superb leader,..... as well as being a fantastic pilot and ace.... imagine how high his score would have been had he not been shot down? I look forward to seeing your other aircraft,...... even some pre war stuff,... Gauntlet or Gladiator,.... 65 Sqn?

Not sure if this is of interest or not?

http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/rstuckdt_1.htm

Cheers

Tony

Hello Tony.. Thank you yes thats another thing I’ve always liked and respected about Tuck. He cared about others and wasn't in it for glory. I agree his score would have climbed higher. I would love to do a few Gladiator’s but they're a bit thin on the ground locally. Hopefully someday that will change. A Gauntlet would also be nice as well. Thank you for the link, Ive got that one bookmarked. I have an Arma IIc on the way to do that plane and have decals for all of his planes. Did he continue flying after the war, that may be another set of aircraft I can consider.

Dennis

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello Tony.. Thank you yes thats another thing I’ve always liked and respected about Tuck. He cared about others and wasn't in it for glory. I agree his score would have climbed higher. I would love to do a few Gladiator’s but they're a bit thin on the ground locally. Hopefully someday that will change. A Gauntlet would also be nice as well. Thank you for the link, Ive got that one bookmarked. I have an Arma IIc on the way to do that plane and have decals for all of his planes. Did he continue flying after the war, that may be another set of aircraft I can consider.

Dennis

He retied from the RAF in 1949 as a Wing Commander,... not sure if he returned to an operational unit or not, he was Station Commander of RAF Coltishall beween 1947-49 and went on to be a civilian test pilot on the Canberra? This is quite an interesting link;

https://www.historynet.com/extraordinary-career-of-raf-ace-robert-stanford-tuck-january-98-aviation-history-feature.htm

and this;

Cheers,

Tony

• Thanks 1

That is a smashing build, what paints did you use? Did you use any aftermarket items or is it straight out of the box? 
   I have a Mk1a which I’m hoping to build as a 41 Sqn, Flt Lt Eric Stanley Lock airframe. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sluffer77 said:

That is a smashing build, what paints did you use? Did you use any aftermarket items or is it straight out of the box? 
   I have a Mk1a which I’m hoping to build as a 41 Sqn, Flt Lt Eric Stanley Lock airframe. 

Hello S77... Thank you for the kind words. No straight out of the box there was no aftermarket other than code letters. Paints were a bit of a mix. The Dark green is Tamiya XF-81 RAF Dk. Green, the Dark earth is Gunze Mr.Color dark earth I think the catalogue number is H72. Im away from my desk and can check again when I get there. The sky was a custom blend of 4 parts XF-2 white + 1 part XF-71 Interior green.

Dennis

4 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello S77... Thank you for the kind words. No straight out of the box there was no aftermarket other than code letters. Paints were a bit of a mix. The Dark green is Tamiya XF-81 RAF Dk. Green, the Dark earth is Gunze Mr.Color dark earth I think the catalogue number is H72. Im away from my desk and can check again when I get there. The sky was a custom blend of 4 parts XF-2 white + 1 part XF-71 Interior green.

Dennis

Thank you Dennis. I’m just starting to get back into kit building, so I’ve a long way to go before I’m up to the standards on here, but hopefully I can get it to look half decent. 

• Like 1

The Mark 1 Spitfire is really my favourite in the series and you  had done a grand job on the Airfix kit.

Regards

Dave

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Sluffer77 said:

I’m just starting to get back into kit building, so I’ve a long way to go before I’m up to the standards on here, but hopefully I can get it to look half decent. 

Don't knock yourself down, no one here makes a perfect build. I forget to put a control column in before adding the canopy on this. 

• 3 months later...

Boy that's terrific looking! I'm glad to hear you could get a hold of the right squadron codes to continue the series. That's a neat idea to do a series of aircraft flown by one pilot.

For all the discussion I've seen about the panel lines on the Airfix Mk. I, these don't look so bad.  I'm curious about how I'll feel about them when I get around to building mine.

Great job Dennis!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TonyOD said:

That's a fine looking Spit Dennis. I've wondered sometimes what the yellow diamond on the port wing is about, can you enlighten me?

AFAIK it's a gas warning panel.

Not sure how it was supposed to work - presumably it changed colour or something in the presence of poison gas.

Cheers,

Mark

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, TonyOD said:

I've wondered sometimes what the yellow diamond on the port wing is about, can you enlighten me?

It's a gas detector patch, it was supposed to change colour, to what I'm not sure, in the presence of gas that was expected to be used by the Germans. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2