VJ. Day tribute

canberra kid

Very nice CBI Jug, John, and a wonderful tribute to your Dad; I have a very good friend whose uncle flew Hurricanes and then P-47's in the same theater. Sure do like Jugs in those colors!

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Very nice CBI Jug, John, and a wonderful tribute to your Dad; I have a very good friend whose uncle flew Hurricanes and then P-47's in the same theater. Sure do like Jugs in those colors!

Mike

Thanks very much Mike, it's a small thank you but it's well ment. Was your friends uncle in 34 Sqn too?

John 

14 minutes ago, canberra kid said:

Was your friends uncle in 34 Sqn too?

I don't recall, might have been No. 30 or 79 squadron, but I will ask him. He also flew Tomahawks and Neville Duke was his instructor. My friend said his uncle really liked the P-47. After the war, he was with 695 Squadron and flew Spitfire XVI's, IIRC  He's trying to match serials/code letters for his uncle's P-47s, a few of which I have been able to find photos for. I think he has his uncle's  logbook. Will get back to you as soon as I hear from him.

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
added text
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

I don't recall, might have been No. 30 or 79 squadron, but I will ask him. He also flew Tomahawks and Neville Duke was his instructor. My friend said his uncle really liked the P-47. After the war, he was with 695 Squadron and flew Spitfire XVI's, IIRC  He's trying to match serials/code letters for his uncle's P-47s, a few of which I have been able to find photos for. I think he has his uncle's  logbook. Will get back to you as soon as I hear from him.

Mike

Thanks Mike that would be interesting. My dad loved the Thunderbolt too, he flew spit's post war but still preferred the jug. 

John

5 hours ago, canberra kid said:

Thanks Mike that would be interesting.

John,

Just heard back from my friend- the other John! He said his uncle flew Hurricanes in  the CBI until 1944, when he underwent a 3-month training course on the Thunderbolt, flying with No. 79 Squadron until August, 1945, when he rotated home and finished his flying service with No. 695 Squadron and the Spitfire XVI. John is retired from being head of BAE North America, and has lived in Ft. Worth, TX for many years. His Dad worked for Hawker and John was an apprentice there. The man LOVES Hurricanes, Tempests, and Hunters.....once a Hawker man, always a Hawker man!  Best wishes to you and yours!

Mike

• Like 3

1 minute ago, 72modeler said:

John,

Just heard back from my friend- the other John! He said his uncle flew Hurricanes in  the CBI until 1944, when he underwent a 3-month training course on the Thunderbolt, flying with No. 79 Squadron until August, 1945, when he rotated home and finished his flying service with No. 695 Squadron and the Spitfire XVI. John is retired from being head of BAE North America, and has lived in Ft. Worth, TX for many years. His Dad worked for Hawker and John was an apprentice there. The man LOVES Hurricanes, Tempests, and Hunters.....once a Hawker man, always a Hawker man!  Best wishes to you and yours!

Mike

Thanks Mike, my dad was on 79 for a short time too, when he got to Burma he was transferred to 79 along with 4(?) other pilots as 79 was desperately short of pilots! I have serial numbers for the aircraft he flew with them, What was t'outher John's uncles name? I'll see if he's mentioned in the 79 Sqn ORB's I have.

John

• Like 1

17 hours ago, canberra kid said:

My dad loved the Thunderbolt too, he flew spit's post war but still preferred the jug. 

I wonder where did he stand on the Sprite vs. Charger R/T debate?  

Levity aside, a fine model and a touching memorial.   Have you considered using a scan or copy of the map on a permanent base for the model?  Maybe put your Dad's photograph on it?

4 hours ago, Jackson Duvalier said:

I wonder where did he stand on the Sprite vs. Charger R/T debate?  

Levity aside, a fine model and a touching memorial.   Have you considered using a scan or copy of the map on a permanent base for the model?  Maybe put your Dad's photograph on it?

Hi Jackson, yes I have thought about it, when things get back to 'normal ' I'll take it to a print shop and get it scanned reduced in size by about 50% and laminated. It should look good I think?

John

I'm no expert, but I'm of the opinion that an attractive base that utilises period maps and/or photos to frame the model within a specific spatio-temporal context can really elevate the effect.

For instance, I used a print of a scanned-and-sized National Geographic map of the Solomons on a base for an early Corsair flown by Ken Walsh.  I found online a photo of Walsh in the cockpit of an appropriate-looking Corsair (he went through five of them in this period so it may not be the precise one I modeled), printed it on glossy stock at an appropriate size to fit visually within the crook of the model's wing and empennage, and trimmed it with deckle-edge shears to represent a period photo print.  These were applied to one of the pre-finished circular bases I prep en masse to have available as a standardised display for my prouder modelling accomplishments.  

If you wanted to do something similar, you've certainly got a wealth of potential inclusions.  Your biggest problem might be visually overcrowding the display!  😎

If you have access to a female, they sometimes have useful scrapbooking and paper-crafty toys and materials available that one may use under supervision.  The ladies of House Duvalier have been most generous in humouring and assisting my base-decoration endeavours.  

• Like 4

On 8/17/2020 at 7:42 AM, Jackson Duvalier said:

I'm no expert, but I'm of the opinion that an attractive base that utilises period maps and/or photos to frame the model within a specific spatio-temporal context can really elevate the effect.

For instance, I used a print of a scanned-and-sized National Geographic map of the Solomons on a base for an early Corsair flown by Ken Walsh.  I found online a photo of Walsh in the cockpit of an appropriate-looking Corsair (he went through five of them in this period so it may not be the precise one I modeled), printed it on glossy stock at an appropriate size to fit visually within the crook of the model's wing and empennage, and trimmed it with deckle-edge shears to represent a period photo print.  These were applied to one of the pre-finished circular bases I prep en masse to have available as a standardised display for my prouder modelling accomplishments.  

If you wanted to do something similar, you've certainly got a wealth of potential inclusions.  Your biggest problem might be visually overcrowding the display!  😎

If you have access to a female, they sometimes have useful scrapbooking and paper-crafty toys and materials available that one may use under supervision.  The ladies of House Duvalier have been most generous in humouring and assisting my base-decoration endeavours.  

Thanks Jackson, I know what you mean about the risk of visual overcrowding, once I have the map scand and resized I can manipulate the other images over it on my laptop. then print it off as one image. 

John