Pat Hughes Aussie Ace - Spitfire MkI X4009 AZ*Q - Eduard 1/48 ***FINISHED***

With the 110 complete, I have declared today as the official construction start day on Pat's Spitfire and what better way to start than clean bench top, new subject, open the instructions and ready to rip into or, rather, open carefully the resealable bags. 

SpitfireMkI_X4009_PatHughes_Construction_22

I'm going to do this one as a full build. Hopefully not too boring for those who may choose to follow along.

Ray

• Like 8

First thing I did was the usual, removed the fuselage and wings and dry fit to check. Based on the Mk IX we would expect the Mk I fit to be exemplary, which it is. Still I want to check my clean up and get these things right before I start adding fine detail in the fuselage.

SpitfireMkI_X4009_PatHughes_Construction_23

I filled the IFF fuselage insulator locations and the port side wing root socket. Not required for this build.  Probably a good job for the likes of Perfect Plastic Putty with a water clean up. I don't have any so had to fall back on the usual CA/Talc. While I had some mixed I also filled the sink marks on the exhausts. I did a 50:50 mix to make sanding easier. I really like how the performance of CA/Talc varies by type of CA and ratio. You can have a lot of fun making your own designer fillers based on what performance you want  - strength, workability, curing time . 

SpitfireMkI_X4009_PatHughes_Construction_24

Fuselage halves filled and cleaned up nicely. So did the exhausts just forgot to add them in the photo.

SpitfireMkI_X4009_PatHughes_Construction_25

I glued the lower cockpit side panels into the fuselage halves rather than make up the cockpit bucket per the instructions. My preferred way of working. I put a touch of glue on the top of each side wall so I can adjust the bottom later if needed. Here is the port side panel glued in as described.

SpitfireMkI_X4009_PatHughes_Construction_28

I wanted that Instrument Panel Bulkhead in place for the starboard sidewall detail. Once the lower sidewalls were in place I assembled the fuselage with the bulkhead and glued it being careful to keep the glue on that starboard side only. Doesn't need much. Not structural. Just a touch.

SpitfireMkI_X4009_PatHughes_Construction_27

Pulled it apart, had the IP bulkhead in place and then could get into that starboard sidewall.

Based on my best information, I decided to set-up the cockpit sidewall detail on Pat's Spitfire as follows:

1. Motorised Hydraulic Undercarriage Pump so needs a Cockpit Selector.

2. Grainy aircraft image appears to show streamlined aerial mask with triangular aerial wire attachment so go for HF TR9D radio.

3. Need a Remote Contactor for simple Pip/Squeak IFF through the HF system. Wires from fuselage to horizontal stabilisers not required. 

4. No windscreen de-icing or if an early de-icing system then it does not seem very visible unlike the standardised Spitfire system that came into use later and and is very obvious on the starboard lower sidewall.

This would involve the following work on that starboard side wall.

1. Firstly remove the Indicator Light Morse Key and Spare Gunsight Lamps. Both are mounted on the lower sidewall and interfere with the undercarriage selector so they were moved to what was to become the final position on later marks, high up near the windscreen on the starboard side. Here it is unmodified.

SpitfireMkI_X4009_PatHughes_Construction_29

2. Eduard provide on fret "R" their titled "Mk I-V" fret the Morse Key, Lamps and Remote Contactor. Excellent, I did not have to scratch build those. They also have location pins to locate on the fuselage so I positioned these where they need to go. I did separate the Morse Key and Lamps and glued them in place separately. Added the Morse key cables with lead wire.

3. I added the pilot low pressure oxygen piping and bayonet fitting that snakes up around the relocated Morse key and lamps. Also piped in the high pressure oxygen supply through the valve further back on the side wall.

4. Scratch built the Undercarriage Selector. I am still surprised this is not included in Fret "R" when you see the other components - strange. You can see why I wanted that bulkhead in place so I could pipe everything in.

Here it is complete. I could add a couple more minor details like Weight and Airspeed Computer, Harness Release and IP Lamp. Knowing me, I will.

SpitfireMkI_X4009_PatHughes_Construction_26

Next the port side wall.

Ray

Edited by Ray_W
typo
  • Like 11

The port sidewall did not need much. I was ready to launch into fabricating a TR9D radio controller when I thought I should check the sprues and there it was. Thank you Eduard. Oh well, I should read the instructions more carefully. That certainly saved me some work. I just had to add the Bowden cables out of stretched sprue and the gun camera mounting bracket and socket. Done for now.

SpitfireMkI_X4009_PatHughes_Construction_30

Also, added a little more piping to the other half and it too is ready ... for now.

SpitfireMkI_X4009_PatHughes_Construction_31

I am starting to get a collection of sub-assemblies and sundry items all getting ready for the black undercoat that I will use as a base coat in the cockpit. No prizes for guessing - Black Gunze Mr Finishing Surfacer 1500. 

SpitfireMkI_X4009_PatHughes_Construction_32

You can see I did the usual and drilled out the lightening holes in the seat bulkhead most of which is hidden behind the armour plate (shrugs shoulders).

What a pleasure to have a one colour prop and spinner. All assembled ready for basic black. Tamiya Flat Yellow XF-3 (with the smallest amount of Flat Red XF-7 to shift the yellow to more of an ID Yellow colour) covers Black Mr Finishing Surfacing very well so I can do the blade tips last - just like a kid again. 

The seat? Eduard use the metal seat in this boxing for all subjects. Pat's Spitfire was delivered in July 1940 after the May 1940 introduction of the Paper Resin Bonded Seat. Probably a toss of the coin as to which but I decided to go red rather than green or black. So another Spitfire build with a synthetic seat. Thankfully the resin seat is provided in the kit on another sprue.

Big question remains flare racks - yes, no or maybe? Eduard provide a PE flare rack and they look very cool. I have used them before.  I'll just have to fit it unless I get shouted down.

The seat stuck on its totem pole ready to get into painting. Seat sides have been thinned. Improves every kit seat - ugly un-thinned flare rack brackets stick out the front to be cut off.

SpitfireMkI_X4009_PatHughes_Construction_33

Well not much to show for another short burst of concentrated effort. Hopefully black is back in fashion tomorrow.

Ray

• Like 10

36 minutes ago, Olmec Head said:

Excellent cockpit detailing, I am trying to do the new Tamiya Spitfire (which seems to be a bit of an also ran now) and your work has provided some good ideas on the cockpit sides.   I think mine will be a bit ropey.

I'm glad if there are some ideas that you might be able to use. I always think it is worth doing a little extra in a Spitfire cockpit because much is visible.

I built the new Tamiya Mk. I last year and typical Tamiya it does fall together for a pleasing result. If you're into finishing then it is a great kit, you're into Darth Earth and  Dark Green before you know it.  Only trick is that laminated separate armoured windscreen.

Ray  

8 hours ago, Peter Roberts said:

Do you have a colour in mind for the 'pit?

Hi Peter,

I'll be using Lifecolor UA551 Royal Air Force Grey Green. I do not get too hung up on the cockpit colour so long as it is not too bright, too dark or a totally weird shade. Fact is the Lifecolor does seem good to my eye and can be appropriate for an aircraft delivered in July 1940.

I will do a little more research when I build my early K9795 version and see what current thinking is and possibly change the interior colour to something more in accordance with the so called greener "apple" colour. Or, is it a "grass" colour? I would be interested in Tim's @Smithythinking 8 years further on.

I do not know how we follow Humbrol colours. The colour swatch for Humbrol 36 now seems close to the mark but 36 was a brighter yellow green.  For example, look here:

Have they changed again?

The fun of matters Spitfire.

Ray

Edited by Ray_W
More info
  • Like 2

Ah yes, Spitfire colours! I have been flamed more than once over that topic. You have to go with what you are happy with.

H36? I'm intrigued to see how it looks, but will save it for when I start my Eduard kits. Have just ordered another Sprue C so I can get two later Mk Is out of 'The Few' boxing.

Liking your work with the cockpit - great attention to detail, and really takes this kit to another level. Nice work.

PR

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Peter Roberts said:

Liking your work with the cockpit

I like it even more in its black undercoat. Yes I do mask the join surfaces. Tired of paint and glue mix squeezing out on the fuselage seams and I like to reduce the paint in internal joins such as the bulkheads. Tolerances are often close on today's kits. Reduces the amount of clean up needed for good engagement - a must with latest Airfix.

SpitfireMkI_X4009_PatHughes_Construction_34

I was up early this morning and got this base coat down. Just realised I missed the wheel hubs. 

SpitfireMkI_X4009_PatHughes_Construction_35

Post Script

I quickly sprayed the wheel hubs in readiness for silver.

Also took the opportunity to do the tail wheel assembly. Eduard give the two options either as one piece or multiple parts assembly. I prefer the simplicity and mechanical strength of the one piece and the painting is not that difficult. Thank you Eduard for keeping this option.

SpitfireMkI_X4009_PatHughes_Construction_36

I decided to glue in its holder in the rear fuselage while the tail wheel was top of mind. Very easy to miss, ask me how I know.

SpitfireMkI_X4009_PatHughes_Construction_37

Ray

Edited by Ray_W
More info
  • Like 6

Great work as ever Ray.

As are others I’m taking notes. 

It’s a beautiful kit. I’m currently building it in scheme B From the box with the early two blade prop. 

Look forward to more updates. 

James

• Like 1

1 minute ago, franky boy said:

It’s a beautiful kit. I’m currently building it in scheme B From the box with the early two blade prop. 

Hi James,

My plan is to build the 19 Squadron 2 blade version next. I originally ordered the boxing for the true early versions having built no two-blade Spitfires (ohh the shame!) and the BoB Group Build has already stolen one. 😁

Ray

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ray_W said:

Hi James,

My plan is to build the 19 Squadron 2 blade version next. I originally ordered the boxing for the true early versions having built no two-blade Spitfires (ohh the shame!) and the BoB Group Build has already stolen one. 😁

Ray

I think that ones my next stop.

I have two early and two late versions although at the moment my interest lies with the pre BoB aircraft. 

James

• Like 1

Hi Ray,

Been away for the weekend (LERA CQB) so just caught up with your progress. Most envious! All the details I'm having to scratch build at 1/24 are in the Eduard kit (sitting in my stash, I'm a glutton for punishment).

Agree with all your cockpit details and add-ons except the flare rack which I believe was added later? Another item you might want to consider adding is the landing light control which would be visible in an open canopy model;

landing Light Control

landing Light Control 2

Maybe it's already on the Eduard i/p?

Spitfire cockpit colour. Ever since I saw the Lifecolor RAF Grey-Green you used in your Mk.XIV I've been a fan of it. It certainly is a close match to photos of various restorations in books and on the web. Slightly lighter and more apple green than other brands of WW2 RAF interior Grey-Green. I have a half-baked theory with no evidence that maybe Supermarine used their own interior colour in Spitfires? More like the Eeu de nil they were supposed to have used pre-war. I'm bound to get in trouble for this!

Lovely work as always.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Johnson said:

except the flare rack which I believe was added later

Thanks Charlie for the input. Flare rack removed. I'll take a look for the landing light control when I get back this evening. 

Ray

@Johnson

Charlie,

You are correct in that the landing light control is quite a significant item on the lower left of the IP. Eduard do not provide for it. Probably saving it up for the inevitable Brassin upgrade. Anyway, seeing I was being silly in the cockpit I just had to knock up something.

Here it is complete. I hope you find it passable.

SpitfireMkI_X4009_PatHughes_Construction_38

There is plenty of good discussion on this site regarding Optivisors or equivalent. Here are the ones I used. Had to flick in another level of magnification'

SpitfireMkI_X4009_PatHughes_Construction_39

This evening some colour.

Lifecolor RAF Grey-Green UA551 and Mr Color Super Metallic 2 "Super FIne Silver 2" SM201. Ready for some detail painting.

SpitfireMkI_X4009_PatHughes_Construction_40

Ray

Edited by Ray_W
Added Photo
  • Like 10

2 hours ago, Ray_W said:

I hope you find it passable.

I think that looks very passable Ray! I have yet to make mine. Tonight's task is throttle quadrant No. #3!

Your cockpit is shaping up very nicely.

2 hours ago, Ray_W said:

There is plenty of good discussion on this site regarding Optivisors or equivalent. Here are the ones I used. Had to flick in another level of magnification

Since I took Bill's advice and got the optivisor I find I use it all the time for work like this, just makes it so much easier.

You may wish to check out some photos (or the Spitfire maintenance film) of Frame 11 which the head armour and seat supports are attached to. I believe it was aluminium. I painted mine IG then had to mask and paint it with Alclad.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Johnson said:

You may wish to check out some photos (or the Spitfire maintenance film) of Frame 11 which the head armour and seat supports are attached to. I believe it was aluminium. I painted mine IG then had to mask and paint it with Alclad.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll check it out. It will make for an interesting variation.

11 hours ago, Johnson said:

Hi Charlie,

I think this is still open to interpretation unless you have some other clear photos or possibly another reference. 

For example:

In this image from the maintenance film, the bulk head can be interpreted as an aluminium finish or possibly just the rear face or then again maybe not.

SpitfireMkI_X4009_PatHughes_Construction_43

In this image the side of the bulkhead does not appear in aluminium. Look at the colour of the hydraulic tank low and beside it. 

SpitfireMkI_X4009_PatHughes_Construction_42

And here the front face definitely not.

SpitfireMkI_X4009_PatHughes_Construction_41

While spraying the bulkhead IG I wondered if the rear face should be left in aluminium. The restored N3200 was done that way. I think I will respray the bulkhead rear face only unless more concrete information comes to light.

Thanks again for the input.

Ray

• Like 1