Pat Hughes Aussie Ace - Spitfire MkI X4009 AZ*Q - Eduard 1/48 ***FINISHED***

6 hours ago, Ray_W said:

So what do you think? I am very satisfied.

Looks good to me Ray, one thing that I've noticed on the Eduard kit is the triangular raised vents? on either side below the windscreen.  I cannot see these on photos of BoB aircraft or earlier, I have removed them on my builds.........Discuss. :hmmm:  (I'm not including the engraved square openable vent that should be there)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Bob @Retired Bob, yes you are correct. I will remove them on mine and will scribe the small square for the vent on the starboard side (there is no need to scribe it as it is there already). I also removed the small pips on the outer tailplane leading edge which are the attachment points for the IFF Mk 1 "cheese cutter" aerial wires as not fitted to my subject.

Edited by Ray_W
Correction
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Looks good to me Ray, one thing that I've noticed on the Eduard kit is the triangular raised vents? on either side below the windscreen.  I cannot see these on photos of BoB aircraft or earlier, I have removed them on my builds.........Discuss. :hmmm:  (I'm not including the engraved square openable vent that should be there)

Good pick up Bob, not mentioned elsewhere so far that I have seen and one I was going to post on but never got to it.

A feature of the Mk V's. Hmm, there's a clue for future versions, if we hadn't already guessed! :) 

Nice work Ray, following with great interest.

Edited by Peter Roberts
  • Like 1

I am now at point to commit to undercarriage and wheel well colours for an X4*** series aircraft and I am going Sky

I have read many of the forum posts on this popular subject. For example this recent post with good input from some of our regular contributors @Troy Smith and @gingerbob:

In the end this image influenced my decision. 

SpitfireMkI_X4009_PatHughes_Construction_79

Wheel well and inside gear door look the same colour as the radiator housing. Oleo strut and wheel hub do not look, to my eye, sufficiently different to justify going to an aluminium finish. So I will finish all in Sky.

Being an X417* series aircraft it is Eastleigh supply, first flying mid-August 1940 and I expect factory applied underside and U/C gear paint job. Pat's X4009 was a late July 1940 first flight so I'll go with the same scheme.

There is still some time for a counter view. Surface prep and black undercoat first.  

Another comment on another subject from viewing the above image, the sun is coming from the right direction and the image is reasonably clear and I can see no evidence of the top of the U/C hand pump hydraulic tank in the rear perspex suggesting motor driven pump and selector installed. 

This is what I am always looking for, the top of the hand pump hydraulic tank:

SpitfireMkI_X4009_PatHughes_Construction_42a

Sadly, K5054 fatal, clearly shows the tank.

SpitfireMkI_X4009_PatHughes_Construction_80

Ray

Edited by Ray_W
More info
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Ray_W said:

I am now at point to commit to undercarriage and wheel well colours for an X4*** series aircraft and I am going Sky

I'm in total agreement with you Ray, here is the underside of my Eduard wings for X4425 (lower set)  The upper wings are Tamiya for P9368, delivered in black, white and silver and repainted at Sqn level to sky, this was flown by Sqn Ldr Lane.  My research shows that the gear inner surfaces were painted at the factory and usually did not get repainted at Sqn level.  So P9368 can be seen with sky undersurfaces but black and white undercarriage inner doors, legs and wheel hubs.

IMG_1369

They are sprayed with Tamiya sky paint, if you are interested

4 hours ago, Ray_W said:

Another comment on another subject from viewing the above image, the sun is coming from the right direction and the image is reasonably clear and I can see no evidence of the top of the U/C hand pump hydraulic tank in the rear perspex suggesting motor driven pump and selector installed. 

I'm in total agreement with you there as well and I have added a motor driven u/c actuator lever from a Tamiya spare.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Ray_W said:

I also removed the small pips on the outer tailplane leading edge which are the attachment points for the IFF Mk 1 "cheese cutter" aerial wires as not fitted to my subject.

I have cleaned them off of the tailplanes on all my builds as well, Eduard, Tamiya and Aires.  Aires? I hear you ask,  I have a couple of the old Tamiya Spitfire Mk.Is in the stash that I thought about binning with the new ones that are now available, but with a bit of effort, spares from my other builds and the addition of Aires tailplanes with separate elevators it builds up into a nice Spitfire.  With all those Fundekal options, you can never have too many Spitfires. :penguin:

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

I have a couple of the old Tamiya Spitfire Mk.Is in the stash that I thought about binning

that what ebay is for ;) 

39 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

with the new ones that are now available, but with a bit of effort, spares from my other builds and the addition of Aires tailplanes with separate elevators it builds up into a nice Spitfire.

With some surgery it can build into an accurately shaped Spitfire  as well...

see https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234968337-two-148-mkvb-spitfires-tamiya-and-airfix-new-spitfire-collection-expansion-project-finished-photos-now-in-the-rfi-section-080615/&do=findComment&comment=1763506

The hard bit was working out the tweaks....  sadly as far as I got.   Still in projects box.  But, as the link should show,  quite fixable, and done carefully it keeps most of the panel lines.

hope of interest

• Thanks 1

I glued the canopy sections in place with Tamiya Extra Thin and masked after. This was so I could clearly see the amount of glue drawn in with capillary action. I then used the hair dryer to accelerate the drying process to ensure no extraneous vapour to fog the canopy. Blowing on low heat into the inside areas. Critical for the rear section which has very little air circulation. Maybe with the careful gluing the hair dryer is not needed, but it's a precaution I always take with CA and MEK based glues and never had a problem. Result a nice strong canopy joint. I then masked and sprayed with Lifecolor.

SpitfireMkI_X4009_PatHughes_Construction_81

Undercoat applied. The usual Black Mr Finishing Surfacer 1500 thinned with Mr Color Leveling Thinner. The light grey areas are black and just catching a reflection. Prop was finished separately , just in place for its good looks. I must do the Spitfire night fighter version as I say on every Spitfire build.

SpitfireMkI_X4009_PatHughes_Construction_82

SpitfireMkI_X4009_PatHughes_Construction_83

For a change I am painting this kit with Mr Hobby Mr Color Lacquers rather than my usual Mr Hobby Aqueous Hobby Colour. All thinned with Mr Levelling Thinner. The Sky is their later version C368. Here it is with the marble coat down.

SpitfireMkI_X4009_PatHughes_Construction_84

And complete.

SpitfireMkI_X4009_PatHughes_Construction_85

The above image in artificial light has it very pale and below, in natural light, a tad vibrant. Actual colour is a little more subdued somewhere between the two a little more like that starboard wing underside (left hand in the image).

SpitfireMkI_X4009_PatHughes_Construction_86

I'll now leave that overnight and tomorrow mask and start the top side camouflage.

Ray

• Like 8

On 23/09/2020 at 13:20, Ray_W said:

Well, maybe, maybe not. Does it drop quick enough to the spinner backplate? I'll leave that to those who wish to compare. It does appear different to their Mk. IX keeping in mind it is a different construction process with the Mk I cowl being part of the fuselage halves rather than a drop in piece.  Easy to sand a little off if you wish to eliminate the hump if you believe it is exaggerated. It still looks very much like the Mk I to me. 

Here are some photos compared to my Eduard Mk IX. You can be the judge. Note props are just pushed in so the Mk IX prop is hanging down a little. Just noticed when I published the photos.

SpitfireMkI_X4009_PatHughes_Construction_75

Edit: Here is one more comparison photo I have added; my Airfix Vb to Vc conversion.

SpitfireMkI_X4009_PatHughes_Construction_78

So what do you think? I am very satisfied.

Hope this helps.

Ray

Thank you Ray for the extensive post I have kept the Eduard and Airfix photos in the 'Quote' as they show that the nose upper line is very similar.  That said I still see the Airfix as being slightly better.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Olmec Head said:

Thank you Ray for the extensive post I have kept the Eduard and Airfix photos in the 'Quote' as they show that the nose upper line is very similar.  That said I still see the Airfix as being slightly better.  

I think you're right on this one, but frankly it is very subtle.  Easy fix if you want to take a little out of the top of the cowling. It does not scream out like the old Tamiya Spitfire wing planform.  I have the Tamiya new tool Mk I built up back in Australia. It will make an interesting comparison when I get these back.

I keep saying it, but the kit is a delight. I am enjoying every minute of the build.   

Ray

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ray_W said:

Undercoat applied. The usual Black Mr Finishing Surfacer 1500 thinned with Mr Color Leveling Thinner. The light grey areas are black and just catching a reflection. Prop was finished separately , just in place for its good looks. I must do the Spitfire night fighter version as I say on every Spitfire build.

That is looking very good Ray, I agree with you on the night fighter version, Mk.V of 111 Sqn by any chance, I'd probably do two, the early day colour codes and the later red ones with the smaller roundels.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

Mk.V of 111 Sqn by any chance

Exactly. I have the decals left over from the Airfix Club boxing. I used the Vb for my RAAF Vc conversion. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ray_W said:

Exactly. I have the decals left over from the Airfix Club boxing. I used the Vb for my RAAF Vc conversion. 

I take it you will be waiting for the Eduard Mk.V to come out, I still cannot believe Tamiya have not used the potential of their moulds, they must have lost a lot money in not releasing any further kits. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

I take it you will be waiting for the Eduard Mk.V to come out, I still cannot believe Tamiya have not used the potential of their moulds, they must have lost a lot money in not releasing any further kits. 

I'll probably wait. No GB impetus at the moment like a Night Fighter GB. If I was really keen I would just use the Airfix Vb kit which I quite like. As to Tamiya, I would prefer they work on other subjects like continuing their P-38 series (J/L?) or something else needing their touch. Frankly, I remain amazed at the number of high quality kits being offered. No need to go to the stash, just buy and build.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ray_W said:

As to Tamiya, I would prefer they work on other subjects like continuing their P-38 series (J/L?) or something else needing their touch.

Agreed, but I would not hold your breath, the Spitfire Mk.I was released in 2018, their Bf 109G in 2017, both are modular with the potential for several follow on kits but nothing has been released on either.  Eduard on the other hand release their follow on kits every couple of months.  Just seems a strange policy by Tamiya, they knew that Eduards Spitfires were coming but did nothing to get in first, now they will always be a runner up to Eduard.

Sorry Ray, I’ve been lurking way too much over on the Classic Heller GB pages so have deviated slightly from the BoB, even though my Hurri has progressed with decals now on. You’re really doing an awesome job on this new Eduard Spit, every post is a real winner and education piece, we’ll done. 

Now I did a whole lot of plastic teaspoon experiments with my twelve or so incarnations of ‘Sky’ and honestly it’s real horses for courses stuff. I found Gunze’s H74 to be a good ‘Duck Egg Green’ whilst their C368 was quite different to everything else. I was not quite sure where it sat, however seems to look great on your kit. To my eye Humbrol’s 90 was really close to MAP Sky, however my paint tin dated from the 90’s so I don’t know if it’s changed since. Not really wanting to get into a paint discussion, just to say that I’m glad you’ve had luck with Gunze’s lacquer and I might revisit it again one of these days. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Now I did a whole lot of plastic teaspoon experiments with my twelve or so incarnations of ‘Sky’ and honestly it’s real horses for courses stuff. I found Gunze’s H74 to be a good ‘Duck Egg Green’ whilst their C368 was quite different to everything else. I was not quite sure where it sat, however seems to look great on your kit. To my eye Humbrol’s 90 was really close to MAP Sky, however my paint tin dated from the 90’s so I don’t know if it’s changed since. Not really wanting to get into a paint discussion, just to say that I’m glad you’ve had luck with Gunze’s lacquer and I might revisit it again one of these days. 

Gunze's C368 is labelled BS381C-210 so it might agree more closely with a post war Sky, that is, if this was truly a different colour to a BoB era Sky. In that case it could possibly be fractionally lighter. However, on the model the C368 looks right so it is unlikely I will change it. The funny thing is that it reminds me of my Airfix 1/24 Hurricane done with Humbrol some 35 years ago. Long lost. Goodness knows what colour I used back then but it would of agreed with the colour call out. Maybe this is why I like it.  The C368 is the colour call out in the Eduard instructions. I was also influenced by the opinions here supporting the C368:

http://www.theworldwars.net/resources/resource.php?r=camo_rafww2

If I was back home in Australia I would just use my Lifecolor UA550 and not give it a second thought. 

The scary part for today is the brown and green. I still have not made a decision. Possibly try Gunze C369 as opposed to my usual H72. It seems a little less orange and I am interested to see what it looks like.  As for the green, I might have just enough Tamiya XF-81 to squeeze out one more build. At least, one advantage of black basing is you use a lot less paint. I will do a test spray in the marble coat with Gunze H330 for comparison.

Ray

Edited by Ray_W
Corrected Paint Number
  • Like 2

The top colours. 

Started with some underside masking. Trying to keep it to a minimum so there is no need to do the full underwing side.

SpitfireMkI_X4009_PatHughes_Construction_87

Started with the Dark Earth just a bit past what will be the mask area for the Dark Green. I will be doing a hard edge to the masking typical for Eastleigh Spitfires of the time. You will find when I have done the camo masking I usually respray some black first to reduce the brown overspray before going green. I keep the black away from the mask edge even though the coats are thin. We do not want a ridge.  Also, this image shows why I like Black Basing as a painting technique. Variation is not only in colour, it is also textural. It is very subtle. I believe it adds life to the subject. This subtlety tones down and yet is retained under the clear finish coats. 

SpitfireMkI_X4009_PatHughes_Construction_88

As mentioned in my earlier post, this Dark Earth colour is a new one for me being Gunze's C369 rather than my usual H72 or preferred Lifecolor UA547. The result is markedly different. That orange colour in the H72 is gone and the colour is now closer to the later Lifecolor RAF colours that I quite like. 

SpitfireMkI_X4009_PatHughes_Construction_89

I also think it is a better match to the MAP colour chips. Nice discussion here and Colin's section @Tail-Dragon is very interesting.

The real test will be how it appears beside the green. I do have enough Tamiya XF-81 so that will be the go. We'll see.

Ray

• Like 6

I did the hard edge mask using Tamiya tape. Stuck a piece of tape where I wanted it. I then used a fine felt tip pen for the desired contour. Removed it, cut the profile using a scalpel and put it back in place. Move onto the next one. Fill the gaps as needed.

It actually does not take that long and I do not find the process tedious - almost enjoyable. In fact, what a pleasure to do a hard edge mask. No lifting up an edge or snakes of Blu-tac or variable overspray to fix.

The "KEEP" piece was a cut off edge where I knew I needed to go back and mask the Dark Green when finished and spray some more Dark Earth. A spot I missed.

SpitfireMkI_X4009_PatHughes_Construction_91

I used the Tamiya XF-81 and was very happy with the result.  The scuff/dust marks (summer 1940) are thinned Gunze "Sail". 

SpitfireMkI_X4009_PatHughes_Construction_93

SpitfireMkI_X4009_PatHughes_Construction_92

Eduard's rivet detail is superb. A couple of clear coats still to go on but nothing will be lost with the thin lacquer coats. Very interested to see what they're like under the decals. I'm giving myself a break from painting roundels and codes. 

SpitfireMkI_X4009_PatHughes_Construction_90

So that is where we are at. I will leave it a few hours now and then gloss coat using the usual GX-112.  Should have some decals on very soon.

Post Script:

Gloss coat is done.  Gunze G-112 Super Clear Gloss. You can keep building the gloss but that is not what I want. I want thin coats for adequate protection and sufficiently smooth finish for decals and this provides it nicely.

SpitfireMkI_X4009_PatHughes_Construction_95

Ray

Edited by Ray_W
More info
  • Like 8

1 minute ago, Stew Dapple said:

She's looking beautiful Ray B)

Cheers,

Stew

Thanks Stew. Easy to make it look beautiful, it's a Spitfire.

• Like 2

Up early this morning and thought I would get a few decals down.

Decals - a lifetime love/hate relationship.

I decided to use the DK Decals having used them before with success. Having put their underside and top side roundels in place I really was not happy with the colours. The roundel blue being very dark and the red far too bright, too orange. They looked wrong. I toyed with the idea of playing with the colours and decided to swap them out for the Eduard kit supplied decals. 

Irrespective of the serendipitous behaviour of the new thickened varnish on the Eduard decals, that some can remove, these decals really let down an otherwise great kit.  Here they are applied.  I prefer the blue to DK, but the roundel centre is too crimson and you have that furry edge. On the kit, for me, they also just looked wrong. I played with removing the top side varnish but this is too variable in performance. Too easy too damage.  I decided to remove them completely, mask and and paint all roundels.

SpitfireMkI_X4009_PatHughes_Construction_97

Here are the DK (left) and Eduard (right) as removed for comparison. The photo has improved the look of the Eduard - they are too crimson.

SpitfireMkI_X4009_PatHughes_Construction_96

Having done the underside decals first and having quite some time to dry, the underside DK decals were down and down for good. Usually some decal softening agent and you can take off the decals reasonably easy. Not these. Took some effort with strong decal solution, hot water, scalpel and sanding sponges. Top side decals lifted off in one piece.

SpitfireMkI_X4009_PatHughes_Construction_98

Never mind, after clean up, black undercoat, colour and all is good for another attempt.

SpitfireMkI_X4009_PatHughes_Construction_99

Time to cut some masks.

Ray

Edited by Ray_W
clarification
  • Sad 2

Bit of a minefield Ray! Very glad that you have the skill to recover from such a situation.

I'll be following with interest, especially what paints you choose as - if and when I get there - I have masks already provided in the Montex set for my 1/24 Spitfire.

All the best,

• Like 1