Pat Hughes Aussie Ace - Spitfire MkI X4009 AZ*Q - Eduard 1/48 ***FINISHED***

Sitting here looking at the Eduard box and thought I would break my rule and have two builds underway at once.

My second subject with be a Spitfire Mk. I in the markings of Australian Ace Pat Hughes X4009 AZ-Q 234 Squadron, who tragically lost his life in the Battle of Britain September 7, 1940. 

SpitfireMkI_X4009_PatHughes_Construction_2

Paterson (Pat) Clarence Hughes was born in Cooma, New South Wales on September 19, 1917. There is a nice article on Pat here:

https://www.battleofbritainmemorial.org/squadron-logbook/australias-few-and-the-battle-of-britain/

Some I quote:

On 7 September, the first day of the London Blitz, Pat thrust his Spitfire towards a formation of Dornier Do 17s and picked out a straggler. His machine gun fire was so concentrated a large piece flew off. One of the wings then crumpled and the stricken aircraft plunged into a fatal spin. Pat baled out as his Spitfire plummeted too, but no one knows if it was hit by enemy fire, knocked by falling debris or if the aggressive pilot had deliberately rammed the Dornier. His parachute failed to open. The young pilot fell to his death in a suburban garden 12 days before his 23rd birthday. He was the eighth Australian to die in the Battle of Britain.

Pat was posthumously awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross. He had accrued 14 and three shared destroyed aircraft, one shared destroyed unconfirmed, and one probably destroyed. With all the part shares, he was a triple ace and was later ranked in the top ten Battle of Britain pilots, in the top three Australian aces of the Second World War, and in the RAF’s top 50.

So here it is, the nice new Eduard rendition.

SpitfireMkI_X4009_PatHughes_Construction_1

Let's do it justice in Pat's memory.

Ray

• Like 19

11 minutes ago, Steve 1602 said:

I found a build thread here which has a photo of AZ-Q which may be of interest.

Steve, Thanks for the link. Some 234 Squadron images I had not seen, Very useful. Ray

• Like 1

@Steve 1602 

Steve,

Very useful link indeed. Actually the author's analysis seems reasonable and answered a couple of questions I had regarding internal mirrors and IFF fitment. Now if only the Brits had taken as many photos of their aircraft as the Germans did of captured AZ*H, I doubt we would have any Spitfire Mk I questions. 🙃

Ray

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Ray_W said:

Now if only the Brits had taken as many photos of their aircraft as the Germans did of captured AZ*H, I doubt we would have any Spitfire Mk I questions. 

Indeed 😆 perhaps there was an avid model maker amongst them who was thinking ahead!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nice subject choice Ray and one thread that’s I’ll be watching on closely. These new Eduard Spitfires have come out just in time for this GB and from what we see in other threads, looks to be very classy indeed. Now I also had thoughts of building Hughes kite myself, but I’ve only got the old Tamiya kit so the quality differences will be quite obvious. 

Cheers and best of luck.. Dave 

• Like 1

Great choice there Ray, really looking forward to this. 

Got a pic of AZ H from the Wingleader Spitfire MKI archive book that's not in the link, along with a profile, happily ping them over to you if you think they'd help?

Geoff 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Nice subject choice Ray and one thread that’s I’ll be watching on closely. These new Eduard Spitfires have come out just in time for this GB and from what we see in other threads, looks to be very classy indeed. Now I also had thoughts of building Hughes kite myself, but I’ve only got the old Tamiya kit so the quality differences will be quite obvious. 

Cheers and best of luck.. Dave 

Thanks Dave,

Looking forward to this one. Should be into it by the end of the week. Just getting a little traction with the bf-110 at the moment as you can see.

Bf110C_BoB_Construction_15

I just ordered the DK Decals sheet so I can steal the 234 Squadron "AZ" Codes and the Swastika/Victory Fingers symbol from Bob Doe's aircraft. Also on the same sheet, Al Deere's "Q" seems same height and font. Hoping this gives an easy fix. Otherwise I'll raid my squadron code decals or make masks. I have plenty of serial numbers to make "X4009".

Ray

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Bugle07 said:

happily ping them over to you if you think they'd help?

Thanks Geoff,

PM sent.

Pat's aircraft has been a subject I have wanted to do for some time and held off when Eduard announced their Mk I.  Should have some build pics soon.

Ray

6 minutes ago, Greg Law said:

Where did you get your Eduard kit from? 

Hi Greg,

Good LHS in Bulgaria (where I am now). They ordered it in for me. Shop is HobbyCult but there are others. The LHS shops in Bulgaria are like the good ol' days. Great range, great browsing, and you always walk out with something you didn't plan to buy. Friendly, knowledgeable staff with good English. As you would expect, good access to Eastern/Central European suppliers. Also, usually, have in the latest Asian kits quickly after release. The stock held in Hobilend is amazing.

Ray

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Greg Law said:

By the time it gets here this GB will be over.

I suppose one advantage on being on this side of the planet.

Yes that is what I said. I already have the old and the new Tamiya, kits plus the Airfix one so it really isn't needed for this group build.  I'm really glad I built up my stash over the last ten years. The price of kits here have gone through the roof and getting them from overseas has suddenly got very expensive as well. There was over $50 NZ of postage in that Eduard kit.

• Sad 1

38 minutes ago, Greg Law said:

There was over $50 NZ of postage in that Eduard kit

Freight - usually the killer. I sometimes use Hannant's (service, range) here in Europe though freight is also expensive. If I am patient and with a bit of planning then ordering through the LHS is a good option. When I'm back home I use Australia's BNA. Build an order and ship trying to get nil freight.

Glad you have a lot of alternative options.

Ray 

• 2 weeks later...

Decals arrived today. I am using DK Decals "Spitfire Mk.I/II Aces" No. 48018. I used DK earlier this year and really liked their performance so looking forward to using them again on this build.

DK provide 14 nice subjects but, as typical of me, I am doing none of these. I'll steal the "AZ" and squadron motif from Option 5 and the "Q" from Option 4. Serial number "X4009" from spares. Here are the options in the pack:

SpitfireMkI_X4009_PatHughes_Construction_20

I much prefer the quality of the DK decals in terms of colour and register compared to Eduard's kit decals. Here are the DK (blue background) laying over the Eduard sheet. I'll probably used Eduard's gas patch.

SpitfireMkI_X4009_PatHughes_Construction_19

DK's sheet of codes and motifs.

SpitfireMkI_X4009_PatHughes_Construction_18

I have decided to go with the 234 squadron motif (swastika and victory fingers) as supplied. There are good arguments that the background may not of been yellow. The alternative colour is a guess so I'll stay with yellow.

SpitfireMkI_X4009_PatHughes_Construction_17

Construction starts soon.

Ray

• Like 4

Hi Ray,

Your post has reminded me of one you put on @Steve 1602 thread  a few days ago about the colour of the motif. I meant to reply then got distracted!

You said;

This is the photo that has been part of the debate claimed to be the only one so far discovered of Pat Hughes last aircraft. The background of the 234 motif is very clear and yet the yellow around the roundel has disappeared in the photography suggesting the motif background is not yellow otherwise it would of appeared dark as well.

What struck me was that I couldn't see any yellow at all around the roundel. AFAIK yellow doesn't do this on pan or ortho film, changes yes, but not disappears. Could Pat Hughes Spitfire have a roundel with no yellow ring at all? Some did.

Just a thought. It would support (or at least not undermine) the use of the yellow motif.

Regards,

6 minutes ago, Johnson said:

What struck me was that I couldn't see any yellow at all around the roundel. AFAIK yellow doesn't do this on pan or ortho film, changes yes, but not disappears. Could Pat Hughes Spitfire have a roundel with no yellow ring at all? Some did.

Hi Charlie,

I think you can see evidence of the yellow surrounding the roundel mainly in the lower half in this magnified slightly better image. 

Ray

SpitfireMkI_X4009_PatHughes_Construction_21

Ray

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Johnson said:

I see what you mean, very faded.

Just visible. Another case where I think it hard for people to argue if you choose the yellow background 234 Sqn motif. 

• Like 2