1/600 HMS Jamaica

Gidday Bickerton, that's some impressive computer graphics. I'm still at the level of tracing paper and coloured pencils to get a graphic impression of the build in advance of construction. And rigging isn't something I've tried yet. I make my masts (see below) from styrene rod which wouldn't be rigid enough to take any tension. I'd like to try rigging in the future but I'd have to use brass for masts and yards I'd imagine.

Gidday All, two updates on HMS Jamaica in two days! Don't expect this all the time. 😀 Today was spent constructing the two tripod lower masts. These I built up directly from the model.

JAM450 tripod masts fitted

It doesn't seem much to show for a day, but much of the time is spent working out what to make rather than actually doing it. Plus working out what to paint in advance and what to leave unpainted for glue to bite on. Behind the mainmast (left mast in the photo) is some sort of flue. This I'm currently making, and tomorrow I plan to make the topmasts. These I'll make separate from the model and attach them towards the end of the build, hopefully in a few days or at latest during the week. On the platforms on the foremast will be some radar lanterns. Due to the masts being quite flimsy I can't show close-ups of them because the autofocus on the camera is focusing on the background, the cutting mat. Sometimes auto functions are a bit of a pain. Oh well  .  .  .
      Time for my beauty sleep. Yeah, I know, it doesn't work. So thank you for your interest and comments. Stay safe and regards to all, Jeff.

• Like 4

You might think beauty sleep doesn't work but have you asked anyone else?

They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder (not aimed you)  Jamaica certainly qualifies!

Tom

12 hours ago, Modelholic said:

You might think beauty sleep doesn't work but have you asked anyone else?

Gidday, actually yeah. It was my fire brigade captain who says it doesn't work, and she keeps telling me so when I claim I need my beauty sleep at the end of a training evening. 😀 All in jest though.

12 hours ago, Modelholic said:

They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder

But seriously, I believe that. We only have to look at the huge variety of models on the site to realize that. And thank you for your comment my model. Regards, Jeff.

I must say I do like your whole approach Jeff, - there's not a model of this subject .. no problem I'll just make one - I've a couple of ideas myself but ought to clear some things on the list first ... When I do get around to scratch building bits though I may need to borrow some of that no worries approach, 

Sam

• Thanks 1

Gidday All, for the past few weeks I've been doing a 'Meatloaf' and going like a 'Bat out of Hell' to get HMS Jamaica finished. SWMBO has been very good and insisted on doing everything here to free me up. I owe her big time.
    Anyway, I've completed the masts today.

JAM460 masts done

Usually for a ship with tripod masts such as this I build the tripod direct off the model but the topmasts (which usually have most of the yards attached) I build separately then attach as an assembly. But not this time. In this case the central masts (of the tripods) extend higher and have nearly everything on them. The topmasts really only have the upper radar attached so I built the masts up piece by piece in situ. A little bit nerve wracking in case I knocked and broke something, but I seemed to have got away with it.
     As you can see I've started the final fitting of equipment - aft searchlights, paravanes, the rest of the boats, the Walrus aircraft and the cranes. I thought I'd finished making everything but realized I hadn't completed the two pompom directors. That's them on the wood block behind the model. In this photo and the previous you can see the grills attached to the funnel.
     Anyway, I'm on the home stretch now. Thank you all for your interest, stay safe and regards to all, Jeff.

• Like 5

Gidday All, I've given HMS Jamaica her fairleads. Thanks Tom and Chewbacca for your suggestions, which is ultimately what I did. This is the second batch I've made to this method, which is simply to slot and trim 0.5mm thick styrene strip. The first batch were a bit bulky so I put them aside and made this lot. My first idea for making them I've discarded as too clumsy.

JAM470 focsle fairleads added

There's another four sets on the quarterdeck. I'm not sure yet if I'll fit the ensign and jack staffs (flag poles). They'd be lowered at sea. 
     I've fitted the 4-inch guns and pompoms. After I'd glued the 4-inch mounts I realized I hadn't fitted their base rings, to lift the mounts off the deck a little. Damn! Oh well, too late now. I think if I tried to get the mounts off again there's too much chance of damage. I'm just going to have to live with it. I've also fitted the main DCT (director control tower) and the three HACS (high angle control systems) with their radar. Plus two pompom directors. The DCT comes from an Airfix 'Belfast' kit, but I scratchbuilt the others.
     Here she is, almost done.

JAM480 AA guns and directors fitted

I get the feeling that I've omitted something but I can't quite put my finger on it. 🤔 😁
Well that's it for tonight. Tomorrow I'll touch up the paint and detach her from her build block. Thank you all for your comments, responses and interest. Stay safe, and regards to all, Jeff.

• Like 5

Gidday All, I'm calling this done. For now, anyway. I've modeled the ship as in late 1942 when she fought in the Barents Sea. Early in her life she carried a radar lantern behind 'B' turret, and this was damaged by her own gun blast off North Africa in November 1942. Despite receiving another at the fore mast head this lantern wasn't removed immediately and so probably was still on board at the time that I've modelled her. When I find out for certain I can add it without too much trouble I think. Easier than removing it. Plus, WASMEx is in two days hopefully, so I've run out of time.
     So, Ladies and Gentlemen, may I present HMS Jamaica, 1942.

HMS Jamaica jm11

Thank you all for your help, comments, responses and interest during this build, I've greatly appreciated them. I'll be posting extra photos in the RFI section soon.

So stay safe, and regards to all, Jeff.

• Like 11

Gidday All, thank you for your kind responses and comments. Tom, I've done about three dozen WW2 ships in 1/600. Any preference as to what you want included in photos? All cruisers, all destroyers etc or a mixture? Regards, Jeff.

Gidday All, on this weekend just gone we had our annual model show, WASMEx 2021. Last year it was cancelled due to Covid-19 but it went ahead this year. But only just. The previous weekend (including ANZAC Day) was locked down here in Perth due to a small breakout of Covid but fortunately no further cases presented themselves before the weekend. So WASMEX went ahead.
     I submitted some models in the competition, two into the "Scratchbuilt Ships" section. I won 1st and 3rd (of a grand total of three entries 😁).

DSCN6767

HMS Jamaica got the gold and HMS Ulysses got the bronze. Under the terms of WASMEx here these are deemed scratchbuilt, considering the percentage of scratchbuilt work.
     We had a scare, another three cases on Saturday afternoon but due to the restrictions already being adhered to the risk of spread was deemed low enough to prevent another lockdown. I was worried my models (I submitted eight in total) would be incarcerated for who knew how long. But it didn't happen. Whew! 
     Thanks for your interest. Stay safe and regards to all, Jeff.

• Like 10

Gidday Teuchter, and thanks. The light wasn't too good here today so the above photo was taken with a flash. This altered the actual colours a bit, particularly those on HMS Ulysses. The light blue has turned to grey in the photo. They look better I think in natural light.

And as a kid I didn't even paint mine at all, just kept them in grey plastic, glued them all together in about an hour, and an hour after that was playing wars with my brothers with them. 😀

Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

Good job Jeff - they looked great ‘in the flesh’ and the win is very well deserved.

Thanks also for your help running the front desk and counting up the public votes. It’s very much appreciated. 👍

• Thanks 1

Gidday Steve, thanks and you're welcome. I meant to ask you how your Mirage and Panzerhobbit2000 were getting on, but we kept getting interrupted. Customers can be so inconsiderate at times, wanting a bit of service, such as entry. 😀 Oh well  .  .  .

Regards, Jeff.

• Haha 1

Wow Jeff, amazing work & well deserved win at competition! Every time I look at your work it’s hard to believe it’s actually 1/600. So much attention to detail, definitely you set the standard in this size, especially considering you don’t use PE or any after market upgrades. Much respect sent your way!

Cheers,

Rob

• Thanks 1