1/600 HMS Jamaica

Hopefully we can complete this quite quickly as @dickrd and I now have something with a short deadline to do also. Starting with starboard side the main questions to my mind are whether the aft funnel and local items above forecastle deck level were also a light paint such as 507C, or whether they were a tone darker i.e. MS4.

4ab376b4-08c9-4200-ad47-28bab96603fe.png

The difference in tone is subtle, but at present I feel that the side of the hull amidships is a tone lighter than the funnel, aft deckhouse, S1 secondary and the crane. Upperworks items often appear lighter than the hull for a number of reasons on ships known to be painted a uniform colour. Were this all 507C I'd therefore expect to see equal or lighter tone above deck level but I don't, it's very slightly darker hence my current position on this. As always, I'm open to challenge and debate on the matter!

ba3cf029-a7ac-4c7c-bc0b-47bce25317a0.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Gidday Thanks Jamie, I'm thinking of going with the upper camo scheme. The black and white photos I have seem to show the rear funnel painted the lighter shade.

In the meantime I've been working on the five turrets I'll be using. Five you say? Surely HMS Jamaica only carried four (and later three)? No, I'm not IJN Mogamifying or USS Brooklynizing the model into a whiff. As built the ship had a director mounted on "X" turret, and I think she carried this at the Barents Sea. In 1943 this director was removed, and two 20mm Oerlikons shipped on the turret roof instead, plus some others elsewhere. And this was her configuration at North Cape. So which version to build? Decisions decisions. Then I thought "Why decide? Why not have both?" In a previous build I made the turrets removable, and I've decided to try the same with this build. So I'll make two "X" turrets - one with the director and one with the 20mm Oerlikons. Two models for the price of one - sort of. 

The pin (turret trunking) the HMS Belfast kit turrets have for rotating (training) is 1.6mm in diameter. I'm expanding them to nearly 5mm so I can attach a key-way to them. Below is a photo showing the various stages of what I'm doing.

JAM90 turret mods 1

The top three turrets are the left-overs. I'm using turrets from two Belfast kits and I've included them to show what I've started with.

The next row are the five turrets I'm modifying. From left to right - 

1. A short length of 2.4mm styrene tube is drilled out to 1.6mm and glued over the turret pin.

2. Then a short length of 3.2mm tube is drilled out to 2.4mm and glued over the first tube. You can see another being drilled out here.

3. A length of 4.8mm tubing is glued over the 3.2mm tube. This didn't have to be drilled out. Making the extra tubing longer gives more area for the key to be glued. 

4. The turrets need deepening a little. This was done by gluing the turret to a piece of 0.25mm (10 thou) styrene sheeting, then trimming it.

5. And a key of 1mm square styrene is glued to the front of the turret trunking (the added tubing). Notice the gap between the top of the key and the underneath of the turret. This gap is the same thickness as that of the barbette, in this case 1.5mm.

And at the front of the photo are the barbettes, made from 1.5mm (60 thou) styrene sheet. I drilled a 3/16 inch hole in the sheeting then inserted a turret and used the rounded front of the turret as a guide for scribing the round barbette. The barbette on the left is still being reamed out a little with 800 grit sand paper. The barbette on the right has the keyway filed into it. I don't know yet if I'll be using all four of these barbettes or some of those from the Belfast kit - I'll definitely be using one of mine for "Y" turret. Any I make and don't use will go into spares.

Well, that's it for now. Thank you for your interest, and stay safe in these times. Regards to all, Jeff.

• Like 12

Sorry for the interruption in service folks - I'm also drawing some camouflage up for Flyhawk on the side so have to crack on and finish first pass at that. It's a complicate drawing and has taken ages to block in - I'm only just starting on the actual camouflage pattern now. At least they provided the line drawings though so that's something. The downside is it's a 5-view. Arghh...

Jeff, this is my first pass at Jamaica's port side, although I would be keen for @dickrd's thoughts on my interpretation of where there might be 507C on both sides...

e636a9cc-15c2-4d00-9c01-1aab214d0303.png

ba3cf029-a7ac-4c7c-bc0b-47bce25317a0.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Re question E) With four tones in this scheme A-D (darkest to lightest), I think that this photo answers the question re A turret. I'll dig through my photos to see if can see anything to help with the other questions: 

CRUISER REFUELLING AT SEA. SEPTEMBER 1944, ON BOARD HMS JAMAICA AT SEA, REFUELLING FROM A TANKER.

Edited by dickrd
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 9/3/2020 at 8:33 AM, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Superb Richard, thank you (although it does look to be Tone D on both sides of A-turret, or at least coming around that angled plate at the corner).

I love these analyses.  Good gig with Flyhawk Jamie :clap2:

Isn't it about time you thought of a book to update the Raven "Warships Perspectives" type offering.

Your profiles in book form would be fab!!

Rob

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

I love these analyses.  Good gig with Flyhawk Jamie :clap2:

Isn't it about time you thought of a book to update the Raven "Warships paespectives" type offering.

Your profiles in book form would be fab!!

Rob

It's a nice idea Rob, but in many cases we've little more to go on than Alan Raven had at the time, besides a bit more clarity on some of the shades themselves. I'd also have to be much more diligent with fit & fittings etc than I am now - I can get away with having stray Oerlikons and radars etc because there's always an aire of "chucked together in a hurry to help someone with camouflage" but a proper book needs a bit more care and attention.

I've made a mistake of sorts and somehow managed to not save that update above to the port side so it'll need redone, but I have to do the Flyhawk thing first.

Speaking of Oerlikons - it sounded like that this morning when Gill inadvertently ran over a stone with the ride on mower and smashed one of the two largest (and most expensive) panes of glass in the house. We are not amused:

118878176_10158606360576489_305505457118

Right now though I have to run an errand then I'm taking a bit of a change of direction. My homebuilt aeroplane project stalled long ago for various reasons but cost is an issue - private flying is very expensive for not a lot of fun and having fun (by my metrics) is staggeringly expensive. Add in time away from young children etc and it's no longer what I want to do. Instead we're having a family boat. Big enough to day-boat with, small enough to tow and drag up on to a beach. Scotland's full of freshwater lochs and half an hour north are some relatively docile coastal waters and a friendly small sailing club along the north coast heading in to the Moray Firth, so Campion Sail & Design's 16ft Apple in half-decked cutter rig is just what the doctor ordered. It's attractive to my eye, but ultimately is just a stitched and glued plywood hull which is something that can be built without moulds and comes together relatively quickly. Whilst I know how proper planking on frames is done, it's an absolute tonne of work needing many hands, steam boxes and all sorts of things. I decided to add a Facebook page for this project and I'll be keeping a detailed log of all my Manhours and everything I spend on it.

118880459_111486854020152_87425225473990

• Like 7

I found this for sale Jeff, similar shot to @dickrd's above. Appears to just be postcard size, but thought you might be interested!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-Photograph-Royal-Navy-HMS-Jamaica-Cruiser-Camouflaged-Fine-1944/164357975162?hash=item26447fac7a:g:RBAAAOSwOCdfSUMF

Terry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Campion Sail & Design's 16ft Apple in half-decked cutter rig is just what the doctor ordered.

That looks like an interesting project Jamie, small enough to singlehand, but big enough for the family, nice lines too.

I decided to add a Facebook page for this project

Have you got a link? I'd be interested in how you get on with it.

4 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

That looks like an interesting project Jamie, small enough to singlehand, but big enough for the family, nice lines too.

Have you got a link? I'd be interested in how you get on with it.

Sure do!

https://www.facebook.com/Melitele-Building-a-16ft-Sailing-Boat-111482380687266

The gentleman who built this one was apparently the motivation behind the cutter rig & half-deck drawings:

cutter_apple21.jpg

http://www.campionboats.co.uk/apple-gaff.html

I've got my Admiralty Manual of Seamanship 1937 Vol.1 and a later Vol.2 to assist with both proper handling of cutters as well as the craft of sail making!

• Like 2

That looks like a very nice project Jamie!

I'm still slowly trying to answer your questions re Jamaica.  Re your other E), that straight vertical divide amidships near the waterline on the portside with the MS 4 (forward) and the possible 507C (aftwards) just did not feel right to me. Having gone through my photos I think the MS1 panel actually came down to the boot topping there, eliminating the need for the straight line divide. The only explanation I can offer for photos where it appears the MS1 panel does not come down to the boot topping is an effect caused by the (light-toned) wavelets right at the side of the hull being thrown up as Jamaica speeds along:

Jamaica ps c

Edited by dickrd
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Sure do!

Found you, I'll pop over and bother you there so we don't clutter up Jeff's thread too much! @ArnoldAmbrose apologies for encouraging Jamie's thread drift, though I'll assume you'll forgive him for the useful assistance he's giving with colour schemes. you've made a good start with the hull, I'll keep stopping by to check on progress.

• Like 1

Gidday, not to worry, I think the boat has nice lines and should give many relaxing hours. Sorry to hear about the lawnmower stone vs window. but I guess losing a window pane is better than a hit in the eye. As for thread drift, I think we've all done it a little from time to time. I wish to thank you all again for the time you've spent and the help you've given me on this.

I've painted over the white I painted on the hull but I think it needs another coat. I'm currently working on the aft shelterdeck that will carry 'X' turret. It's testing the grey matter somewhat. I'll post another thread when I have a little more to show.

Thanks again, and stay safe. Regards, Jeff.

• Thanks 1

Gidday All, I thought I'd better add another post to this thread to show I'm still interested in HMS Jamaica. In reference to Jamie's camo scheme above I'd planned on using Hu144 as it appeared to me to be the closest shade of blue that I had in stock for NARN33/B5, but when applying it I soon realized that the paint in the tin didn't match the colour of the lid. That's happening quite a bit with the last batch of Humbrol paints I bought. Hu96 also looked a close match but my tin had dried out. I had nothing else suitable and my nearest hobby shop is 45-50 minutes drive away, each way. So things have slowed down a bit. I got to the model shop yesterday and selected two tins of Hu96. The tin lids now showed grey paint, and were different shades, although both marked 96. So I put them back and walked to the Revell paint rack. Plenty of greys but only one suitable blue, Re56, which I bought, and have now started to apply. I decided to put the tin of Hu144 back in my paint drawer, there was a vacant spot at the back - right next to an unopened tin of Hu96 I didn't know I had! Damn. I could have got stuck into the painting a week ago! Oh well . . .

I've done a bit of work on the aft shelter deck and aft superstructure but still much to do on them. At the sharp end I've decided to try and use a 'Belfast' foc'sle deck. I've scratched off the deck planking and removed the 'A' turret barbette, with a bench grinder, carving tool and finally files. I'll use my own barbette there.

JAM100 decks 1

The main deck is just dry fitted at present. And as you can see I've started getting serious with painting the hull. But this is as far as I've gone to date. I told you I was slow. I hope the build will speed up a bit now.

That's it for tonight. Thank you for your interest, and stay safe in these times. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 14

Gidday All, it's nearly the end of the weekend (here anyway) and I guess time for another update on HMS Jamaica. I've painted the upper and lower hull and done the boot topping. I peeled off the masking tape a couple of hours ago. Masking the lower edge of the boot topping was rather awkward with the shafts and struts fitted but I got there.

JAM150 hull painted stbd

As you can see I still need to powder her nose, or whatever the maritime modelling equivalent is. When I glued the hull together the bow was a poor fit so I added some filler but it flaked off. So I'll give her a nose job after fitting the foc'sle deck and anchors. I've tried to follow Jamie's camo pattern as faithfully as I could, although the shades of paint differ a little. The blue is a little darker and brighter than I wanted but it was the closest I could get. You can see my other blue paint trials inside the hull. And the 'white' amidships is in fact a very light grey, Hu147. The mid grey is Hu64 and the dark grey is Hu79 - well according to the tin lid.

I think the shaft struts could be a little long, they were determined by the size of the screws I'll be using. I don't think the shafts sloped down quite as much as I have them but I think I'll do more harm than good if I try to fix them now, so I'll leave them as they are. I've been doing some more work on the decks and superstructures but I'll leave that to another post. I've also screwed the hull to a block of wood so I don't have to handle the model much now.

So I guess that's it for now. Thank you for your interest. Stay safe, and regards to all, Jeff.

• Like 11