Upsetting the boss

HF is a most pernicious acid. At uni back in the late 70's I used it to etch glass and was warned about its properties. A year later I had an indirect reminder in that one of the lads I met at a Govt establishment had had a HF acid burn and had been told that he'd have to apply a special cream to the area for the rest of his life otherwise, despite theacid having been removed, it would eventually eat through to the bone.

Where I currently work it was used in the inspection area until the full risks were advised to them & use in the lab has come to a halt as an impass has been reached where the guys are, rightly, insisting in having the best 'antidote' available whereas corporate won't agree to its use as they can't obtain the required COSHH data - so much for a safety first culture.

• Like 5

Had a little fun yesterday when I snuck into the bosses office and taped a small piece of paper over the laser on his mouse.

Not a major thing but quite satisfying, even if I did end up on coffee duty for the rest of the shift.

• Haha 10
16 hours ago, Circloy said:

HF is a most pernicious acid.

It is definitely not something to mess round with. It was used in a process in a couple of oil refineries that I worked at. If you were unfortunate enough to get splashed with the stuff, it wasn't just a case of washing it off. You had to have an injection beneath the splash, to stop it going right through the bone. Not nice stuff.

John.

• Sad 3

Many years age (in the last century) I accompanied my MD when we were showing a prospective customer around the factory.

"How many people work in the factory?" asked the visitor.

"About half on a good day" replied the MD, causing the visitor and myself to laugh uproariously.

We got the contract.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
On 8/21/2020 at 8:44 PM, Bullbasket said:

It is definitely not something to mess round with. It was used in a process in a couple of oil refineries that I worked at. If you were unfortunate enough to get splashed with the stuff, it wasn't just a case of washing it off. You had to have an injection beneath the splash, to stop it going right through the bone. Not nice stuff.

John.

Christ, what was this stuff, xenomoph blood or something. That's some toxic stuff!

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Brad said:

Christ, what was this stuff, xenomoph blood or something. That's some toxic stuff!

It's very nasty stuff. About the only thing that it won't eat through, is glass, so it is transported in glass carboys, or glass lined tankers.

• Like 4

I was working in uplift/load control in an air freight company, one night a pilot off a freighter walked in while we were busy doing aircraft trims and said 

"call me a cab" so I turned around and said "you're a cab"" he went red faced and stormed out of the office followed by our laughter....he didn't try that again  

• Haha 6
7 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

It's very nasty stuff. About the only thing that it won't eat through, is glass, so it is transported in glass carboys, or glass lined tankers.

You sure about that as this acid will dissolve glass and silicon and should not be stored in that medium.

• Like 3
12 hours ago, Brad said:

Certainly seems very reactive indeed.  I wonder if it's because Fluorine is very electronegative, which perhaps might lead to HF easily donating a proton.  Then again, so are Oxygen and Nitrogen.

Edited by JosephLalor
1 hour ago, Mick4350 said:

You sure about that as this acid will dissolve glass and silicon and should not be stored in that medium.

I really should engage brain before putting mouth in gear (so to speak). I have this image of a truck load of carboys,at the refinery, and I assumed that it was HF. But after reading what you said Mick, I googled HF storage, and it actually EATS glass. Mia Culpa, but in my defense, it was 50 years ago. Apparently, the containers should be polyethylene, fluorocarbon or lead. Thanks for putting me right.

John.

• Like 2

Many years ago, when I was still in my youth, I worked for a steel fabrication company. It was owned by two partners. Gene was one of them and was heavy set. One day he walked into our office, managed by my boss, Vernon. Gene said to Vernon, "You're putting on a little weight, aren't you?" Vernon was much lighter than Gene. Vernon replied something to the effect that the longer a person works in the company office, the more weight they put on. I, not stopping to think, said, "Yep,and you can tell who's been here the longest." Gene was not amused.

• Haha 3
On 8/14/2020 at 8:47 PM, Enzo Matrix said:

I upset the Managing director at work today.

He likes to send out monthly newsletters.  He picks various people within the company and asks a stupid question.  Something like: "Who would you want to play you in a film or your life?" or "What would be your dream holiday?"   You know...   real earth shattering stuff.

It's supposed to raise morale and allow the management team to be seen as a little more human.

This month, I became one of the victims. :( 

The stupid question was:  "What three words would you use to describe yourself?".

I gave the obvious answer:    lazy.

He was not impressed!  :lol:  

My answer isn't even original.  It's an old joke and I can't believe he's never heard it before.  But he got so upset I thought he was going to have a stroke.  It really made my day.  :)  Happy Friday! 

Should have gone with "needs a raise"   :)

• Haha 2
On 20/08/2020 at 15:31, Mick4350 said:

I contributed a level of safety that made this workplace listen to the workers concerns and to protect them when working with this acid

Quite correct - there was at least one fatality locally in a factory that used it in etching for modern TV screens. It doesn't take much or long to be fatal 

I've had the misfortune of having to use and get undressed rapidly at work in one of those emergency shower. Aside from the misfortune of getting doused in something nasty you then have to strip off under a very cold shower. Not anyone's best look at work but useful if you need it. Luckily I "just" got covered in something comparatively innocuous

On the HF and health and safety front. Once upon a time (probably about 1999/2000) I ordered some chemicals into the lab one of which was a fluorine containing precursor to a nerve agent. The entire security procedure was that I had to sign and return a fax declaring that I wasn't going to use it to make a chemical weapon. Fax duly signed the material turned up the next day - probably a bit less lax now

Edited by LostCosmonauts
  • Like 1
5 minutes ago, LostCosmonauts said:

The entire security procedure was that I had to sign and return a fax declaring that I wasn't going to use it to make a chemical weapon. Fax duly signed the material turned up the next day

Hmm...  wonder if Starfix importers have to declare that they are importing Weapons of Mass Dissatisfaction ?

• Haha 5
5 minutes ago, IanHx said:

Hmm...  wonder if Starfix importers have to declare that they are importing Weapons of Mass Dissatisfaction ?

Aren't they being tried in the Hague yet?

• Haha 3

Our marketing president, whom I had known for years when he started with us as a

salesman, had taken up a youthful looking hairstyle where his now long greying locks were slicked back over his head. It looked awful. One day he scurried into our section looking a bit harrassed and muttered that he felt like he'd had his head up his bottom all day.

"Well that explains the haircut then." I said.

At least he changed it shortly after and looked much better for it.

Just one in a littany of faux pas that made me redundant at last.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
On 23/08/2020 at 21:39, LostCosmonauts said:

Fax duly signed the material turned up the next day - probably a bit less lax now

Not with international trade. Many products are subject to export restrictions and those restrictions can apply to certain countries, companies or individuals. There can be some unexpected 'denied parties' I know of one US manufacturer who's Canadian operations were included on this 'dened parties' list.

A standard 'cop out' is to get all customers, not just international ones, to issue a letter stating that they will not use or resell material for chemical, biological or nuclear purposes.

On 16/08/2020 at 13:20, Whofan said:

Which reminds me that For a while, a certain person was the "CEO" of HM Revenue and Customs.

Firstly, why do civil service departments have to have a CEO? The head of the department is the Permanent Secretary, the top civil servant. Anyway, I digress.

Their knowledge of the highly complex work of the Department (trust me, tax is highly complex!) was as a PAYE employee, ie none whatsoever.  They explained in one job their position was not to know anything about the operational detail, but to be "motivational management and fire fighting"

They became CEO of HMRC after failing at numerous other posts in the civil service, each post being at a higher management level than before - the Peter Principle writ large.

What has happened, especially it seems to me in the Civil Service, is that there has grown the idea that you have a management class, all of whom are very good managers, who don't need to actually know what their department does, as long as they manage the department.

it also seems to me that this idea is a guaranteed recipe for failure -  the general perception in comments here is that management shouldn't be allowed any where near the building!

As a former HMRC employee myself and, my office having been subjected to a visit by the afore mentioned individual, I must concur with your opinion of her. In fact, I think you are being very polite

I have long held the view that, for those in management, particularly at the senior level that their intelligence decreases in inverse proportion to their level in the management food chain. This person was a shining example. They were incumbent in that position, if I recall where HMRC had reached new  levels of failing performance level. 

One of the questions they were asked directly, by one of my colleagues was :"Given the recent publicity about declining performance standards, can you please justify continuing to recieve the performance bonus that you and your colleagues consistently deny the staff that help you achieve your bonus"

Clearly there was no answer but the expression on their face resembled that of a bulldog chewing a wasp.

My own moment of glory came at a management inspired meeting to describe the latest round of consultant inspired garbage designed to inspire and motivate the troops and, thereby "motivate the staff in order to take pride in their work and, increase productivity and efficiency"!

I replied that I could not help but notice that amongst all the corporate BS there was no mention at all of two proposals that would be guaranteed to have the desired results, namely (1)an increase in the staff budget so that we would actually have enough people to actually do the jobs and increase productivity and(2) a very motivational and substantial pay rise.

That of course went down like the proverbial lead balloon.

I got, in response a load of corporate waffle about "negativity".

At which point I replied by saying my "negativity" was the result of an incurable but, common complaint among the staff - NAAFI syndrome. (No Ambition, Ain't F...... Interested!)

The very next day, my line manager, called me in for a private meeting. While struggling to keep a straight face, he advised me that he had been directed to give me a reprimand. At which point we both burst out laughing.....!

Allan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6
1 hour ago, Albeback52 said:

As a former HMRC employee myself and, my office having been subjected to a visit by the afore mentioned individual, I must concur with your opinion of her. In fact, I think you are being very polite

AAh, another one from the Church on BM! I spent 38 years in the job, and though I had my fair share of office visits from big wigs, I don't recall ever seeing or meeting the aforementioned lady.  Probably a good thing, as I have, like yourself, in the past spoken my "mind" to senior management.  Often to be asked afterwards by line managers "were you out of your mind"?

Like yourself, , the higher the management I experienced (15 years in VAT, 23 years in Investigation) the lower the intelligence level, though to be fair, I think that occurred more in the last 10 years of my career, from around 2003. 

AFter I'd been in the job for a few months, going to C & E from a sales job in pharmaceuticals, I was told I would be meeting the then Chairman of the board, when he visited the office because I was the newest person n the office.

On the day, meeting duly begun, he asked me what I'd done before joining C & E. I said, straight faced, "I was selling drugs" . The assorted managers around me froze - but the Chairman looked at me (also straight faced) and said "Ah, poacher turned gamekeeper, then?" 

Following the explanation (brief!) he was whisked away by the head of office to meet others. The next day was my first "were you out of your mind" meetings .

I very much doubt by the time I retired anyone at his level would have been intelligent and quick enough to respond like that.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Many moons ago, I was working in a test laboratory doing a particularly tricky and potentially dangerous test. Unbeknowst to me, my manager was conducting a tour with a potential customer and, when he got to the test lab he ignored the sign on the door and brought him in. I heard the door open and, without looking round asked them, very politely, to leave. A short discussion ensued that culminated with the apparently important potential customer saying the immortal "Do you know who I am?" to which I replied "More to the point, do you know who I am? No? Good, then *** off".

Another private discussion with my manager followed...  

• Haha 10

I have a reply to the "Do you know who I am" question, locked and loaded, ready for use - I discovered it as a throw away line in a Goon Show many moons ago.

"Do you know who I am?"

Neddie: "Why? Can't you remember?"

IanJ

• Haha 10
On 9/1/2020 at 3:21 PM, Bonhoff said:

"Do you know who I am?"

"Oh dear, have you lost your caretaker?"

• Haha 7

I can remember being on a “joint working” training course when H M C & E was assimilated by the Dark Side Inbred Revenue.  The concept was billed as an exchange of ideas and techniques, it was actually “we’re all going to do it the IR way”.  Part of the exercise was a joint “(lack of) compliance check” using teams of officers from both departments using very redacted records from a real business (no names no pack drill).  At one point the IR instructor commented that the turnover shown on the accounts given to the VAT officers showed a greater turnover than those presented to the IR and wondered out loud why this should be so.  The immediate reply from the back of the room was “Because we’re a lot scarier than you are!”  Amidst chuckles from the VAT contingent the IR sense of humour failure was palpable.......

Edited by stever219
Dyslexic fingers working overtime togniht.
  • Haha 7