What's your latest acquisition Part V ?

Duncan B

9 minutes ago, lasermonkey said:

Am I right in thinking volume and tone for each pickup? My J-bass has two volumes and a master tone.

There's more to it than that (because it's active): the first knob is the volume (with the passive tone underneath it), then a pickup blender, then treble, middle (with a middle boost/ cut) and bass.

I went the other way, started as a bass player (30-odd years ago) and moved to six-string. I usually find that three on the E is a good place to start, keep it funky.

Edited by Beard

1 minute ago, Beard said:

There's more to it than that (because it's active): the first knob is the volume (with the passive tone underneath it), then a pickup blender, then treble, middle (with a middle boost/ cut) and bass.

Ah, I did wonder. I'm modifying my Squier Precision Special (1x P pickup, 1x J pickup, J-bass neck) to have a Musicman Stingray active EQ. So that's blend, bass, treble and volume. Apparently the early 2-band Musicman eqs are widely regarded as nicer sounding than the later, 3-band Ernie Ball ones. I also gave it a purple metalflake paintjob.

My favourite bass though is my 1973 Rickenbacker 4001 that I snapped up for £299 in 1990.

38288871545_f69b8663b7_b.jpg

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, lasermonkey said:

Ah, I did wonder. I'm modifying my Squier Precision Special (1x P pickup, 1x J pickup, J-bass neck) to have a Musicman Stingray active EQ. So that's blend, bass, treble and volume. Apparently the early 2-band Musicman eqs are widely regarded as nicer sounding than the later, 3-band Ernie Ball ones. I also gave it a purple metalflake paintjob.

My favourite bass though is my 1973 Rickenbacker 4001 that I snapped up for £299 in 1990.

You're way beyond my knowledge level now. I'm just going to stuff some packing foam under the strings and try to keep in time with the kick drum.

That Ricky is nice (is it the stereo one?) and must be worth 10 times what you paid for it.

35 minutes ago, Beard said:

You're way beyond my knowledge level now. I'm just going to stuff some packing foam under the strings and try to keep in time with the kick drum.

That Ricky is nice (is it the stereo one?) and must be worth 10 times what you paid for it.

I've seen a few bassists (including a really good one) use a hair scrunchie around the neck, just over the nut, to dampen the open strings. I've always meant to try it, but keep forgetting to buy the aforementioned scrunchie!

I forget a lot of things......

Oh, and the Ric is stereo. You can feed each pickup into a separate amp or recording channel. It's incredibly useful and I wonder why it isn't done more often.

Edited by lasermonkey
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, lasermonkey said:

I've seen a few bassists (including a really good one) use a hair scrunchie around the neck, just over the nut, to dampen the open strings. I've always meant to try it, but keep forgetting to buy the aforementioned scrunchie!

I forget a lot of things......

Oh, and the Ric is stereo. You can feed each pickup into a separate amp or recording channel. It's incredibly useful and I wonder why it isn't done more often.

There must be some hair scrunchies somewhere in the house. Trouble is, I need one because it's been nearly six months since.my last haircut.

I always record two tracks of bass: one through an amp, the other DI'd. Having a two-output bass saves using a DI box.

1 minute ago, Beard said:

There must be some hair scrunchies somewhere in the house. Trouble is, I need one because it's been nearly six months since.my last haircut.

I always record two tracks of bass: one through an amp, the other DI'd. Having a two-output bass saves using a DI box.

What mic do you sue, have you tried an D112 kickdrum mic.

Simon.

38 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

What mic do you sue, have you tried an D112 kickdrum mic.

Simon.

I use a D112, or amp modelling. Usually the later, as it doesn't disturb the other occupants of the house and the neighbours.

• Like 2

From Books etc.

Topped up on a few of the Flight Craft series for just under £11 each No.13 Gloster Meteor In British Service and No.16 Hawker Hunter In British Service both by Martin Derry and Neil Robinson and No.20 Vickers VC10 & Super VC10 by Lance Cole and all published by Pen & Sword

From Aero Research

Now that all their collections are available as PDF downloads only one new release this month Civil Collection Part 8 although also got two of their Air Racer collections that I had been putting off in favour of other downloads – T-6 Racers 1971-77 and Unlimited Racers 1964-74 , all three have a mix of the bright and colourful with a passing touch of weird

• Thanks 1

On 26/02/2021 at 16:19, lasermonkey said:

38288871545_f69b8663b7_b.jpg

Since we're on the topic of being slightly off-topic with guitars 🤣

Here's a battery holder I got for the transducer for the guitar I'm making.

Martin style O, alpine spruce top, Brazilian rosewood back and sides. The rosette was... Challenging!  

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 3

I convinced myself I needed a second one of these:

DSCN1888.jpg

It took me literally several whole seconds :) Also some Infini Lycra thread, medium. Both from BlackMike Models, excellent service as usual :) 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

I convinced myself I needed a second one of these:

DSCN1888.jpg

It took me literally several whole seconds :) Also some Infini Lycra thread, medium. Both from BlackMike Models, excellent service as usual :) 

Cheers,

Stew

Just got to the main painting stage on mine .Love the kit . Watch out for the engine cowling assembly as it is possible to do a faultless job with ease but even easier to totally cock it up  .Not to many very small holes to  drill  .

Cheers

Alistair

• Thanks 1

Just finished a deal for some 2nd hand kits from a member thats going through his warehouse of kits. Grabbed an Airfix F-80 & F-86D, Monogram Boeing F4B-4, Car door Typhoon, Hasegawa Wildcat, and finally a trio of partial Brewster F2A Buffalo kits which should have enough for one full kit maybe a second boneyard diorama or in flight build. 

• Like 2

Two of Bristol's finest! The Airfix 1/72 Bristol Bulldog (to be built as an RAAF machine) came in last week.

Waiting for delivery of an Airfix 1/72 Bristol Beaufort (new tool) on Monday. Been trying to get a Beaufort for a reasonable pricre since I came back to Oz and now I have one!!!

DennisTheBear

Edited by DennisTheBear
Add info
  • Like 2

It's been a while...

AZ's new Buchon - I've visited Quatro Vientos' Spanish Air Force Museum back in 1990 and the Buchon was one of the recent exhibits then.

Kora CW-22 - The missing ML-KNIL one in the collection. 

LF Models S-51 - Thanks to @CedB :D  - although I've picked the one with Jezebel, the Dragonfly that was used in rescue flights after the North Sea Floods of 1953

MRP BS-105 Oxford Blue  - For the G-AMAU / last of the many Hurricane.

CtA Brazilian A-4 - Skyhawk group build, tarting up the old ESCI one.

DP Casper Forgotten conflicts - A decal sheet for the 1960s Indonesia - Dutch New Guinea conflict.

AML mask sets  - Bristol Blenheims

And some 1/350 Fulmars & Swordfish for the Heller HMS Illustrious kit - maybe a bit bigger, but at least fills the deck properly instead of what the box provides.

y4mUMtGS6kvlJ-AcSK4jGH-8u3E2gtHeDXGJp_X6

• Like 5

From HLJ, now I can make a start on the first Tomcat squadron

spacer.png

And from Frome Model Centre, great service btw

spacer.png

Regards

Robert

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, Tim R-T-C said:

A test import from Italy receives inspection.

Four Miles Magisters, a pair of SF260 Warriors and a whole bundle of resin parts, accessories and decals.

All in 144th scale 😁

Any package coming into our house is immediately CAT-scanned, twice,  to make sure it is safe to open.

51007457617_9bf8aff9f2_o.jpg

Chris

• Like 4
  • Haha 6