What's your latest acquisition Part V ?

Duncan B

My brother sent me an electronic  Amazon gift card which has been converted (with a bit of top up) to Chris Gibson's 'On Atlas' Shoulders' and 'Nimrods' Genesis', books that  I have looked at but not treated myself to, so nice to have as a present. 

• Like 3

Trumpeter King Tiger w/"Henschel" turret & Zimmerit. Oddly, the model on the cover does not have Zimmerit, but the parts certainly do. This is probably the very first kit I've got that actually has Zimmerit, although the box art on some other kits of mine misleadingly depicts it. ESCI and Hasegawa, I'm looking at you and your Jadgpanzer IV kits.

148510-16432-63-pristine.jpg

Also, this now means I have or have built King Tiger kits from Airfix (1:76), ESCI, Italeri (ESCI/ERTL with option of "hard" tracks), Revell (one for each type of turret), Trumpeter, Zevzda, Forces of Valor, and Pegasus Hobbies (double build quick kit). I know there are many other King Tiger kits out there, but I think I have enough. For now.

Edited by klr
  • Like 3

Via ABE Books

Last of a batch of second-hand books ordered lately arrived - Military Transports In Detail Volume 1 by Richard Staszak & Nancy Staehr , published 1994 by Air Transport Publications – covers the C-124 , C-119 , Transall , DHC-5 and An-12 with black and white sideview and cockpit drawings , black & white detail images , colour on both sides of cover only.      Paid just over £8 with free shipping in the UK and while the book price was fairly typical shipping costs from abroad can be horrific (£40+ for standard USPS post quoted by one US seller for an 80 page A4 paperback) and as far as I can see there were no subsequent Volumes but maybe someone has come across them

From MA Publications

Modeller’s Data File 37 - The McDonnell Douglas F-15 Eagle by Andy Evans and published 2021 by MA Publications as the latest addition to that series

From my local newsagent

KEY Regional Air Power Review Volume 4 – Air Forces of The World – Pacific Asia published 2021 by KEY Publications.

From Alley Cat Models

ACRK48-03 Shorts Tucano T.1 – Black Aircraft Markings 1/48 multi-media kit for once I get some current projects completed

• Like 1

This DIY clone of the MXR M117 Flanger. Although I bought the circuit board as a birthday pressie for myself a few years ago, I have only just got around to finishing it. The name I gave it is probably self-explanatory to most at BM.

I worked on a couple of very old M117s about two years ago and I'm pleased to report that the clone absolutely nails the sound, including the very distinctive characteristic tone at the bottom of the sweep. This will be my eighth flanger.

I can now release my inner John McGeoch!

150177870_4126541440691291_9328458769179

By the way, a Flanger is a musical effect which may be best described as a metallic, swooshing sound. The name comes from how the effect first came to be used: two tapes of the same piece of music would be synchronised and started together. Someone, usually the producer, would then apply pressure to the flange of the tape reel of one of the tape machines, slowing it down. This would then be done on the other machine, bringing them back into sync again. The Small Faces' Itchycoo Park was one of the first examples of tape flanging, which is arguably still the best sounding method of all, if not the least practical!

To recreate the effect electronically, the signal is delayed by a short amount, typically between 1mS and 10mS, with the delay time then being modulated by an oscillator This has a very similar effect to the varying pressure on the tape flange. The one thing it can't do (unless it's done with clever DSP) is "through-zero" flanging, where the signal almost completely cancels itself out as the two tape machines come into sync and then switch over. It's a very dramatic effect and you'll know it when you hear it!

• Like 7

16 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

This DIY clone of the MXR M117 Flanger.

I had one of those years ago.  I got it for about thirty quid I think, sight unseen from a shop I worked at whilst at university.  I ended up selling it during the Great Gear Purge after I was made redundant in 2008.  I remember the sound being described somewhere as going "from the lightest chorus to a jet-fighter screech", and it wasn't inaccurate at all.  I hope you enjoy playing with your Iron Bomb.

• Like 1

Just picked Eduards 1/48 scale Eiko boxing of the Hasegawa F-104j for a very nice price from Dave Colleys Emporium. 

Just need to intercept the postman now now before the wife see’s it!

James

Just picked Eduards 1/48 scale Eiko boxing of the Hasegawa F-104j for a very nice price from Dave Colleys Emporium. 

Just need to intercept the postman now now before the wife see’s it!

James

• Like 1

Just received notification that I have successfully bid on a Repli-Scale decal sheet, namely Yoxford Boys #6. That was the last of these on my list, as I now have them all except #2, which I’m not bothering with. I already have all the subjects on that one.

I must have almost 50 357th FG P-51 decals now!

• Like 2

A flurry came in on Saturday, a Meng Rolls Royce Armoured car in 1/35 scale, a new scale for me, ordered from Aliexpress in mid December, A Legends of WW II Calender with the lovely Michael Turner paintings, from Calender Club via eBay ordered Dec 10, I think cheap post rather than Covid was the culprit on this late arrival & from Aviation megastore, a DPCasper decal set War over the Ogaden, need a Airfix Mig-17 for that Somali aircraft now. :)

Steve.

• Like 1

ICM French Zouaves 1914 - because I wanted to get the Amazon order over the £20 line...

So that's three WW1 dioramas to do now.

Should be good at them by the end of that.

In theory.

• Like 4

On 1/12/2021 at 1:20 AM, Mick4350 said:

Hope thats just water pouring out from the undersides of the aircraft.🚭

Having spent time flying around in them, it's probably oil! :rolleyes:

On 2/14/2021 at 7:13 AM, airfixpeter said:

One I have always wanted to have a go at. spacer.png

Nice find!

I remember seeing those in the shops many years ago and wanting one (but not financial enough to get one back then).

An Academy 1/72 IL-2, from modelsforsale.com at a reasonable all-in price (17 quid). Whilst in the mood  I have ordered the Tamiya arrow wing version from Japan for roughly the same amount (more postage than kit!) and an old Toko kit (has a nice scheme) from a UK supplier for under a tenner incl post. Throw in the Ammo paint set for late WWII VVS bombers (I'm tired of mixing my own colours) and it's been an expensive week for me!

I want some "proper" IL-2s to put next to my old Airfix one. I "converted" it to an IL-2 with a lot of mods, but I could just have easily started from the Airfix Battle kit!

The Academy kit arrived today (only two days in the post!) and is awesome. It is muscling its way into my build schedule, in amongst all the shelf-of-doomers and planned group-builders...

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 5