What's your latest acquisition Part V ?

Duncan B

Last week, I (gently) chided the owner of my local model shop for ordering in a batch of RS Models kits, pointing out that they tended to be off the beaten track in terms of subject matter, and so not likely to fly off the shelves. Then I bought the DFS 230 and Airspeed Envoy, two aircraft new to my kit collection. But I've been buying and building kits so long, I like the rare and unusual.

972151-22759-50-pristine.jpg

102519-11185-pristine.jpg

Then yesterday, the "Vintage Classics" reissues of the Dominie and Heron turned up. I built the Dominie when it was reissued in the noughties, but the Heron has never darkened the door of my stash before. And yes, I know it's from 1959 ...

1189965-11991-45-720.jpg

1189969-11991-16-720.jpg

It looks as if Scalemates used the "pristine" pre-release box artwork from Airfix for both kits. Both kits are series 3, but the Heron is squeezed into a box that is usually reserved for series 2 kits. It's been a long time since I've seen such a big aircraft (about the size of a Ju 88 or B-25) in such a small box. The Dominie decal sheet was a pleasant surprise, as it includes a whole raft of stencil, walkway and other detail markings. I very much doubt these were in the 1968 release, but Airfix would have done the R&D work for the noughties re-release, albeit for different subjects and a different decal manufacturer.

Now, I just need the Jetstream and Bristol Bulldog from the current raft of Vintage Classics releases.

• Like 6

42 minutes ago, klr said:

ordering in a batch of RS Models kits, pointing out that they tended to be off the beaten track in terms of subject matter

...you almost made it sound like a bad thing :) 
Appears he chose wisely though, if you walked out the door with two already.

15 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

...you almost made it sound like a bad thing :) 
Appears he chose wisely though, if you walked out the door with two already.

Well, yes and no. There were 6 others, of which the He 112 is probably the only one that really interests me.

But maybe that's just as well: I also ordered quite a few kits from him, with the expectation that they would take weeks if not months to all come through, the supply chain being the way it is at the moment. To my surprise/horror/delight (delete as applicable), quite a few should arrive later this week.

• Haha 1

Oops. :blush:

50277153853_0b754c406f_b.jpg

Various upgrade parts for the old Matchbox/Revell Heinkel He115, and the Warpaint Stirling book.

The book is rather disappointing. It’s a reproduction, but the repro is pants. Very badly scanned from a previously printed version, most of the photos and profiles are smudgy and low res, as is the text. Still, it does have some scale drawings, and many of the piccies I have in other publications. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Bid on a selection of Pegasus/Aeroclub Spitfire/Seafire kits on t'Bay and won! - Obviously the Pegasus models are well past their sell by date with newer better kits around but they were a bargain price and there was an Aeroclub Seafire XVII vacform conversion kit in there too.....

IanJ

• Like 1

On 8/25/2020 at 3:48 PM, klr said:

Well, yes and no. There were 6 others, of which the He 112 is probably the only one that really interests me.

But maybe that's just as well: I also ordered quite a few kits from him, with the expectation that they would take weeks if not months to all come through, the supply chain being the way it is at the moment. To my surprise/horror/delight (delete as applicable), quite a few should arrive later this week.

And arrive they have. That's two Heller M4 Shermans on the top right, in case you're wondering. The IBG Scammell Tank Transporter looks every bit as daunting as the old Airfix kit, albeit for quite different reasons:

DSC01205_dre_025.jpg

• Like 5

You could try using the Airfix cab top as a guide to correcting the IBG.  Mind you, people keep saying that some of IBG's British trucks are really 1/76, but I don't see it myself.  In this case it would help if they were, as then x-kitting the cab would be easy.

• Like 1

Won a Matchbox T-2 Buckeye off Ebay for a fiver. It's a model I've wanted to add to my stash, as I do like the old Matchbox kits, and the Buckeye is a nice and unusual aircraft. Same seller had a Revell F-89 Scorpion which rather appealed, so ended up winning that too. They arrived today, and the F-89 is about twice as big as I was expecting! 

• Like 2

A mixture of Tesco and Amazon for these;

SAM_8958

Hitler's secret is another in a series of books about an historian who becomes a sort of agent  in the late 30's who rights wrongs, etc.. Decent enough stuff to pass an hour or two on a rainy day. The Cloud is a book about an online business that takes over retail in a dystopian near future. I suspect any resemblance to a well known online retailer was not coincidental!

The War for the seas probably needs no explanation  in these here parts, while the CD is the Tangent's latest (in the genre of fusion prog rock),  called Auto Reconnaissance. I'm listening to it now, and it's another fine effort by the band.

Edited by Whofan
  • Like 1

1x 1/72 Special Hobby Boston Mk.III invader box (less than €20 at the LHS) and the DKDecals Boston set. 
Keeping an eye out for SH's discounts as well. 

Another Revell 1/72 Tornado GR.1 - There's XD decal sets in the stash for XV & 617 Sqn, originally for Blenheims & Lancs/Mossies respectively, but why not use the sheet as much as you can :)

Clive Caldwell's Mk.VIII Spit, and the Hobby2000 F-4D @lasermonkey is referring to:

y4mMUovzAmKKpYTJ7L54lnQtVPF5y7ZS3yyU1Y5C

• Like 4

I accidentally bought a 1990's Squier Jazz Bass on EBay.  Now, when most people say they "accidentally" bought something on there, they're making a bit of a joke; I, however, thought I was buying another bass entirely.  I was surprised when the one I'd discounted as not being what I wanted showed up....

• Haha 5

From eBay

Another three mid-1960s issues of Flying Review International

From Resuseabook

As new copy of Mighty Hercules -  The First Four Decades by Lindsay Peacock and published by RAF Benevolent Fund Enterprises , delivered for £4.50

From Aero Research

Some of their latest batch of albums converted to PDF downloads - USN/USMC Collection Part 10 , Helos Part 1 , P-3 Orion Part 2 , Classic Propliners Part 4 , Eights and Nines , Ag Aviation Part 2

Four Six Microscale/Superscale 1/72 decal sheets off eBay. I only wanted one of the sheets, which has two 91st FBW F-84Fs, but it went for a good price. I've been after that F-84 sheet for some time now, so very happy. Plus I have three five decal sheets I can sell on.

Now all I need are a couple of F-84F kits to put them on!

Edited by lasermonkey
I can't count!
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Special Hobby F3F-3, Airfix Lynx Mk 8m Marquette DH9A & Hasegawa US Navy AH1 Skyraider, all from the local auction site & all at acceptable rather than killer prices. Missed out on a Airfix Trident & Boeing Clipper which got too spendy. :( The day will come...... :)

Steve.

• Like 1

Saw my friend again yesterday and he'd been cleaning out more of his stuff which I've now inherited. A box tools, mostly pin vices of different diameters, another scalpel handle, a new set of side cutters which I needed and some round nose plyers. 

He also gave me this home made lathe 

20200901_123629

This old shortwave reciever 

20200901_141147

And this lovely finecast model

20200901_144225

Originally £59.95 and then £35 (edit: can't find any in ebay but the other stuff from finecast is quite expensive, anyone have any clue as to value?) 

He also gave me what I think is an L&S 1/1 scale model colt ar15. 

It's already built but needs a little attention after being knocked about over the years. It does still cycle the plastic rounds though. So yea a good little haul of bits. 

🐧 

Edited by FPDPenguin
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, FPDPenguin said:

Originally £59.95 and then £35 (edit: can't find any in ebay but the other stuff from finecast is quite expensive, anyone have any clue as to value?) 

Wills were bought out by SEFinecast who still list this @ £99.50 - quite a gift.

http://www.sefinecast.co.uk/Car Kits/1 24th Scale Car Kits Page 1.htm

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Circloy said:

Wills were bought out by SEFinecast who still list this @ £99.50 - quite a gift.

http://www.sefinecast.co.uk/Car Kits/1 24th Scale Car Kits Page 1.htm

Thanks for that. I'm. Torn if to keep it or let it go. 

He has given me loads of stuff over the last couple of years.

We used to work together at a casting company in Birmingham many years back, he has lots of spare bits and kits he says he's never going to build. I'm in my 30s and he's almost 70 you see. So he's 'passing it on' so to speak. A very nice and generous man. 

🐧 

Edited by FPDPenguin
  • Like 2