What's your latest acquisition Part V ?

Duncan B

Nothing plastic recently, but when I was browsing The Works I did find the first three volumes of The Bandy Papers, by Donald Jack:

Three Cheers For Me

That's Me In The Middle

It's Me Again

For anyone who doesn't know these books, they are the exploits of Bartholomew Bandy, a Canadian in the First World War, originally in the infantry but transfers to the Royal Flying Corps.  They are very funny, I read them a very long time ago, so I'm delighted they have been republished.  At three for £5.00 I certainly couldn't resist!

• Like 2

Not much of late, but dropped into a shop that does a lot of flying stuff, cars boats etc and who have expanded their kits section and bought a Tamiya 1/72nd P47 Thunderbolt Razorback as it would have been rude not to have bought anything. My trip out was actually to replace a battery powered drill that had died after much hard usage over the years. 

• Like 3

Xmas haul:

Hannant's :

SEAC roundels/flashes, ModelDecal sheet with several 1992 Airshow season candidates, Recce spits.
And the two Airfix Mk.Vcs.

AMS:
Daco Belgian markings & Carl Vincent's Canadian Aircraft of WWII - sadly the listed 249Sqn At War book was no longer available.

Modelenzo (not-so-LHS):

Eduard's Mk.II Limited Edition boxing, and Mr.Hobby Giallo Mimetico 2, Marrone Mimetico  & Verde.

Which means I might be able to finish the SM.79 in the MTO GB after all.

y4mpltYObieNNNPKal_ChnddKkkTaVL3qKLsaUt3

• Like 6

Mrs Lasermonkey decided we should buy ourselves some books by way of compensation for the cancelled holiday, so I duly ordered parts 1-4 of the Arab MiGs series.

My Sovereign Colourcoats order arrived today and after a thorough wipe-down with anti-bac wipes (I mean, you just don't know where the postie's been)I painted  the first coats for the swatches. Whenever I get new colours I always paint swatches so I have something to refer to, something I've been doing since I was fourteen!

• Like 6

A box of goodies from Red Roo in Aus, their Boomerang update set, to go with the Boomerang I listed just above. I was going to buy them together but they'd sold out of the kit so I grabbed one from SH, that enabled me to add things to the Red Roo order, like some Boomerang decals & a couple each of their brass universal bomb carriers & Scarf ring & Vickers gun, I was mightily impressed by these, they are real little gems, the photos on their website don't really do them justice imho. All in 1/72.

Steve.

• Like 3

Something old (but still very nice): Vintage classics Bristol Bulldog (x2 kits, ordered some time ago).

1189995-17841-65-720.jpg

Something new: Spitfire Vc (also x2 kits, ordered a while back):

1260494-13641-62-720.jpg

Something(s) borrowed, as in re-boxed (both ex-Fujimi) - E14Y1 "Glen"(early) and Ju 87 G Winter 44/45, both also with Cartograf decals:

1311215-47642-87-720.jpg

1263381-13641-55-pristine.jpg

Something blue? Nothing really, unless you count the blue trim on the 1982 boxing of the Airfix Draken I got a few days later. This was second-hand with no instructions (not a problem), but was otherwise in excellent condition, and dirt cheap. This is probably the same packaging as the first Draken I bought back in 1982.

148819-11669-pristine.jpg

Oh yeah ... the same day, I also got 2 of the Airfix Firefly Vc (on back order), and a second-hand Italeri Hawk T.1 with RAF, RN, Saudi and Swiss markings:

1260489-12741-77-720.jpg

1029885-25831-91-720.jpg

Just today: Yet another Heller Sherman M4, the Tamiya 1/100 Ilyushin 28 (I now have all 7 kits currently on release from this range), and a Heller Fw 56 Stosser with an upgraded decal sheet. It even has tiny Swastikas - in two parts of course.

1278278-10263-90-720.jpg

133977-27767-54-720.jpg

1277961-10263-58-720.jpg

And finally, a Partridge in a pear tree ... well no, not really.

OK, so I went nuts in December. All told, 30 (!!!!) kits across a number of batches, for a total spend of about 250 Euro, averaging about 8.30 Euro each. Say STG 7.50 each. Bizarrely, I am spending less per kit than at any time since the full introduction of the Euro in 2002. It won't last of course.

• Like 6

Four items ordered yesterday morning from BNA Model World that arrived in less than twelve hours from Melbourne to Toowoomba ( 1000km ). An Eduard canopy mask CX572, F35B, a Special Hobby mask for a AH-1G Cobra, an Eduard decal set, D72026 Mi-24V around the world set and a Quickboost QB72650, British Phantom FOD covers accessory.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Notified yesterday by Hannants that my Zvezda 1/48 Su-57 was in stock.

Hannants have really upped their game in the last couple of years, I ordered my last buy of 2020 from them just gone midnight last Thursday and it was here 8.30 am on Monday! Parcelforce deserve a big well done too, especially given the time of year, and the problems everyone faced this last 9 months.

Anyway, Big H order was for some 1/48 Typhoon, Hurricane and Tempest bits for planned builds next year. Few Xtradecal sheets including the 1/72 fabric wing Hurricane sheet, 2 PJ 2 blade Hurri props and another Airfix Hurricane to go with the sheet. And a Hobby 2000 reboxing of the Hasegawa P-51B which has long been one of my favourite kits, despite the claims of it having an inaccurate wing leading edge. Comparing to pics (which I rarely do) I can't actually see it, and if I could it wouldn't bother me anyway! Also got the KIts World 72nd P-61 nose art decals and three bottles of superglue because they had 20g bottles for the same price as the 3g ones I've been getting from Asda or Tesco with our food deliveries!

Also last week the 1/48 Eduard Adlerangriff Bf109E dual combo from Dave Coley on e-bay - great price, excellent service and he included a set of three rather nice tweezers as a 'promo' gift and a Christmas card....!!

From Scalemodelshop an Eduard 1/48 'Spitfire Story - the few' and an ICM 1/48 BF-109F with ground crew. Just wanted a couple of figures for a diorama or two and the figure sets were £7 and the set with the 109 was 12 quid - seemed rude not to! Also some more rolls of Tamy 1,2 and 3mm tape, some paint and a Trumpeter rivetting tool, the latter just in case I make a mess of filling the seams on the Eduard Tempest and need to re-instate some rivets! Forward planning is not usually my thing....!!

I'd been trying to resist getting the two Eduard dual combos, but cracked last week and I must have had some kind of premonition given the unfotunate fire they suffered a few days later!

Merry Christmas and a hopefully Happier New Year everybody!

Keith

• Like 3

Agree with you on Hannants Keith. I can remember them taking up to a week to actually send stuff when I was in the UK, but I’ve used them twice recently and was impressed. Things could change next year however, but we’ll just have to wait and see.

Season’s greetings everyone and hopes for a better New Year.

John

• Like 3

Caught up on some items ordered over the past three weeks with some delivered within 48 hours (not just from Amazon) and some others now at three weeks and still waiting , the Ronin Wessex decals from the Australia which I was advised might be slower than normal because of Covid issues there actually arrived quicker than some items still outstanding from the UK.

Via eBay

POLICE STOP ! – Patrol and Response Vehicle in England and Wales by Paddy Carpenter and published by Amberley

Eduard BRASSIN 648252 1/48 Sniper ATP

From Hannants

Decals for kits already owned , all 1/48 , some Special Offers and others Main Catalogue

Model Alliance MA-4817 RAF Germany Part II

Model Alliance MAS-48048 RAF Display Hawks 2009

Almark A48-17 Tornado GR.1 17 Squadron

Techmod 48116 Hawker Hurricane Mk.IIc

L Decals 48010 Su-22M4 Stencils (Polish)

Model Art MA Detail 002 F-84E & G Thunderjet

Aviaeology AOD48SO7 Hurricane (Part 2) Night Fighter Stencils

From Books etc.

AIR LAUNCH – A Pictorial History of Airborne Weapons by Bill Holder and Sclott Vadnals and published by Schiffer

From Amazon

AIR 200 – Aircraft of the US Bicentennial by Wayne Mutza and published by Schiffer

Mirage 2000D - Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes another in this French Language series with great images by Alexandre Paringaux and text by Frédéric Lert , published  by Zephyr , some others in the series have had a page or two of strip cartoons but in this volume which is the cheapest I have come across (thankfully) the book is divided 50/50 between the usual high standard of photography and a full length cartoon story about the Balkans conflict

From Morton’s Books

US Navy Jet Fighters

Pacific War – 75 th. Anniversary Of The Battle of Midway

From Ronin Graphics

1/48 Decals for a RAN Wessex HAS.31A Special Forces colour scheme which it seems was applied to a number of aircraft for one single night exercise flight

From Kingkit

Monogram 5818 RF-101B ‘Recon’ Voodoo , been ‘will I/won’t I’ about one of these for years and more so since I finished their F-101B around this time last year , eventually got round to buying one , unusually a kit that will require cockpit detail  to be removed to represent the rather bare stripped down original.

On 23/12/2020 at 14:25, lasermonkey said:

My Sovereign Colourcoats order arrived today and after a thorough wipe-down with anti-bac wipes (I mean, you just don't know where the postie's been)I painted  the first coats for the swatches. Whenever I get new colours I always paint swatches so I have something to refer to, something I've been doing since I was fourteen!

Just occasionally I have a really good idea, one that makes life simpler or gets a job done more quickly.  Far more often than that I hear about an idea that someone else has had and wonder why the hell I haven't thought of that.  This is one of those times...

• Like 1

Santa was good to me - 1 kit (Miniart LAP-7 Soviet Rocket Launcher) and a "care package" of soldering iron (for joining PE togethet), jewellers pencils (for picking up small PE), carbon fibre pen (for cleaning PE) and small files (for filing PE)... 2021 needs to involve PE

• Like 1

Last night Santa dropped off a 1/32 Italeri Tornado GR4 along with 3 books, Harrier 809, Haynes Lancaster Manual and a signed copy of George Blacks “Black Leader” which I am particularly keen to get time to read. 

• Like 1

Merry Christmas and truly hoping everyone here has a better ‘21. So far on my Chrimbo prezzies I have all in 1/72 Hasegawa Mirage F.1c with MAVDecals for a SAAF in the late 70’s, destined for the Africa Group build. A Hasegawa A-4F which will be converted into a Kiwi scooter for the A-4 STGB. Will order the correct decals on Monday. Hasegawa P-40N for a Kiwi Warhawk, decals will be ordered on Monday. And last up is an Academy P-40E for an RAAF Kittyhawk. Both P-40’s will be used for the upcoming ANZAC build. Will be adding to this on Sunday as My Brother in law is out of the ICU and we can celebrate Christmas all be it a bit late. 

Dennis

• Like 8