What's your latest acquisition Part V ?

Duncan B

1 hour ago, alt-92 said:

Yup, time for diving into what Voodoo grey is supposed to look like :)

If you use enamels it looks like this (allegedly!)

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X150

I did know of an acrylic equivalent, but I can't remember what it was (even though I think I bought some for my stash kit. If only I could remember where I left my memory...)

Keith

• Thanks 1

I used the Belcher Bits decals that I think has the FS number and then matched it to a Vallejo paint. I will try to remember to look it up the morning, but it is a pale grey with a very slight blue tinge. I think the painted Voodoo look much nicer than the natural metal ones, but that is just me. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mr T said:

I think the painted Voodoo look much nicer than the natural metal ones, but that is just me.

Well, you're not the only one then :) 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Mr T said:

the FS number

Managed to find that and it's listed as 16515 (model paints might be listed as 36515 as the 1 denotes gloss finish, 3 is matt, so depends on what they put in the tin)

Hataka apparently do the paint in acrylic and laquer;

https://www.hataka-hobby.com/en_US/p/HTK-A201-Voodoo-Grey-FS16515/249 (acrylic)

https://www.hataka-hobby.com/en_US/p/HTK-C201-Voodoo-Grey-FS16515/1082  (laquer)

And apparently this is the Valejo match (I never use Valejo so have no idea how good a match it is, maybe @Mr T can confirm it's what he used?

https://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/product/17ml-pale-greyblue-153-vallejo-model-color-70-907

The only FS16515 paint I have in stock is the xtracolor enamel, so I suppose I intended to use that....!! :)

Keith

• Thanks 1

The Blenheim already was in the stash, but it seemed fitting to show it with the required literature of 600 Sqn. ill-fated Waalhaven raid on 10-5-1940.

Horsa with Paras, Extra bits for the Hampden, and a wooden prop for the Revell 1/28 Camel restoration.

And Nick Millman's Zero guide.

y4mOsU6lbIaWBKCJ1-_dpySdAImLJjazHbFLcJOD

• Like 4

Went to Halifax Modellers World yesterday to pick upa couple of kits that had been on back order, both 1/72nd. 

AMP Supermarine S5 

Sword Grumman Avenger (not) AS6. 

Both very nice looking kits, the S5 has etched brass rigging, not sure how well that will, depends on how hard the brass is. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, lasermonkey said:

By fragile, do you mean held on by gravity alone?

When sprayed on a non-primed plastic of the type Hasegawa or Academy uses, proximity is enough to scare the pigments off.
But it hasn't failed me since I took up using Mr Surfacer 1500.  

Via various eBay sellers

Another 5 issues of Flying Review International , various dates 1963/68 , sometimes quite surprised by what can be found in these , this time from October 1965 an article about a B-24J fitted with a B-17G nose tested at Eglin in August 1944 , Google searched the serial 42-73130 and there are a few photos online , looks good in full side profile but not quite so so in quarter views to my eyes anyway

From my local Newsagent

Sukhoi – Russia’s Aviation Powerhouse bookazine by KEY Publishing

From Amazon

Finnish Jet Colours by Kyösti Partonen and published by Mushroom Model Publications , been after one for a while so delivered new with free shipping for £18.32 was ideal

World’s Greatest Airliners -  De Havilland Comet by Colin Higgs and published by Air World and sold as second-hand but looks brand-new , £9.00 with free shipping

From the Aviation Book Centre

Duke Hawkins Aircraft in Detail Series009 C-130 Hercules & 011 Harrier II published by HMH Publications and a free AK9080 Flexible Airbrush Stencil

From Blackwell’s

In Cold War Skies – NATO and Soviet Air Power 1949-89 by Michael Napier and published by Osprey , released this week and delivered free for £9.00 less than cover price.     Slightly larger than A4 format , 320 well illustrated pages on thick semi-gloss finished paper although if you have a reasonably sized Cold War era library some of the images will be familiar.

Ooops!! clicked the buy now button on Amazon by accident after putting a Tamiya supermarine Spitfire MK 1 plus some paints I need and other bits & bobs into the basket for later perusal, quite shocked when I see the total amount I spent £82 quid😀

I'm away to hide now cos I'm sure the missus will have something to say.😱🤬

It's not like I can take her out for a meal, lockdown and all that.😁

Edited by FrankJ
  • Haha 3

41 minutes ago, FrankJ said:

I'm away to hide now cos I'm sure the missus will have something to say.😱🤬

Not alone in having done that.

I try to do everything on a card that the management is not interested in using so it comes down to one bill among many on occupational pension day but do not always remember to select the right card when confirming payment on the checkout screen which leads to less than the usual merriment , also stick by my claim that all plastic kits still cost 2/11 like they did when we were first married , don't think she actually believes that though.

• Haha 4

I've been thinking about shifting to 1/48 for a while now as I'm finding the fiddly bits on 1/72 increasingly exasperating. I went to Newark Air Museum yesterday and picked this up in the shop for £12.99, which seems like a decent shout for any 1/48 kit. All the bits are lovely and huge. It does look a bit sparse in the cockpit and I suppose the natural way of things in the larger scales is to add more detail, and, there's a danger that silly money could be spent on aftermarket stuff... the FAA doesn't seem to be as well served in 1/48 as in 1/72 but I could always just loosen up a bit and just do whatever I fancy! 

spacer.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TonyOD said:

the FAA doesn't seem to be as well served in 1/48

Don't know about that tbh, Kinetic do Sea Harriers in both twin and single seat,  Airfix's Sea Vixen if it isn't back out already soon will be and they do an older kit of a Shar2 and that very nice Sea Fury and a couple of nice post war Seafires. Going back to WW2 a number of manufacturers also do Seafires and the like of Skua, Roc, Barracuda, Corsair, Swordfish etc.. And in helicopters  you can get a Dragonfly, Sea King - and Italeri's bigger brother of that lovely Wessex you built recently! Plenty to be going at! :)

Keith

• Like 2

The VFS-kits are rather rare now.

I was glad to find this in the well know shop "Sturmtiger" in Belgium for 59 Euro's.Not a bad price.

241-1.jpg

Edited by Erwin
  • Like 1