What's your latest acquisition Part V ?

Duncan B

The lot of the kits arrived today (that’s the B-66, Hunter and F-104). Chucked in were three partly used but useful nonetheless decal sheets, a Rareplanes Fulmar and a Merlin MB.2. Those were nice surprises. Yes, the Merlin kit is probably going to be a challenge, but I’ve always wanted an MB.2 

• Like 1

New airbrush from Ultimate Modelling Products.

Apex Airbrush plus additional nozzles & needles - 0.2mm & 0.5mm - comes fitted with 0.35mm.

In the middle of a Hobby Boss BAe Hawk 100/102 which is being built as a Hawk T2 (yes I know it not 100% accurate but it's near enough for my purpose) so will get tested out very shortly! 😄

Just been a bit naughty....:bobby:

Just to aid in my small harrier collection, and noticing that Hannants have just had a large Kinetic restock, I decided to have a perusal. Lo and behold they have restocked the FRS.1 and T.Birds 😄

I now have a Kinetic FRS.1 and one of the T.2/T.4/T.8 (plus masking) winging its way to me over the next few days once they have processed the order. Happy days.

So now to build I have

2 x Kinetic GR1/GR3

1 x Kinetic FRS.1

1 x Kinetic FA.2

1 x Kinetic T.2/T.4/T.8

1 x Hasegawa GR.7/GR.9

The Harrier is definitely a type under-represented in my modelling collection - hopefully at some point this year to be corrected (provided I pull a digit out of the applicable orifice and get building of course! 😆)

(Forgot to say - all in 1/48 scale)

Edited by treker_ed
added scale
  • Like 3

Had a quick, unexpected trip to Sydney yesterday, and was able to pick up an Eduard 1:32 Bf 08 at a VERY good price. It will be finished as VH-UZI, the sole example of the breed to find its way onto the Australian Civil Register - once I work out what colour it should be painted! I have some B&W pictures, but they just show "dark". I think it was dark blue, but have to confirm.

From Postscript Books

Rails Across Europe – Northern and Western Europe (2016)

Rails Across Europe – Eastern and Southern Europe (2016)

Rails Across Britain – Thirty Year of Change and Colour (2017)

From Generations Gone on eBay

Rails Across Canada – A Pictorial Journey From Coast To Coast (2015)

Rails Across Australia – A Journey Through The Continent (2016)

All by David Cable and all published by Pen & Sword.

I  bought Rails Across North America a couple of weeks back when on offer by Postscript and as I commented at the time it was more for the photography than a particular interest in rail matters but I was quite taken by the combination of rail with industrial/post-industrial landscapes so sought out the rest of the series at reasonable prices although perhaps the scenery in the Canadian and Australian volumes more match the same level of grandeur - vast open red spaces with 300 wagon/8 engine long trains in the latter.     Sadly, although the writer has several other rail titles to his credit it seems that his travels to the remaining corners of the earth have yet to be put into print.

From The Aviation Historian

Subscription copy of The Aviation Historian Issue No. 35 with its usual mix of the unusual and my renewal notice for the next year.

My Beaufort is here!

And quite quickly, too. I ordered on the 8th and it was mailed out on the 10th. It arrived here, this afternoon, on the 16th. 

That's the best time ever for Hannants to The Backside of Beyond!

51119756024_28e4549105_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 8

15 hours ago, dogsbody said:

My Beaufort is here!

:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo: No longer the kit-that-shall-not-be-named :D

---

so did mine :)

- extras

- Minicraft Ventura kit for either Op Oyster or the raid that spelt the end of Venturas in Ramrods and made Leonard Trent a VC.
- one can never have too many Spits. 
- KP/Italeri F/A-18, mainly for the Spanish markings - witnessed the last ones being delivered back in 1990 at Zaragoza AB.

y4mHoQmCPvPc0wRMTsPIFxp0vOE6N3ziI61IyowS

And cleaners and thinners as usual, TET, Sand & grass bits for a Dio later this year.
And because some markings are a right pain in bigger scales - think codes and civil registrations, or roundels I've taken the plunge and got a Portrait 3 to make my own mask sets.

y4mVLZhblNj6G_vtltHQZgJxsRdQ93rhKoe6RITm

• Like 8

1 hour ago, alt-92 said:

And because some markings are a right pain in bigger scales - think codes and civil registrations, or roundels I've taken the plunge and got a Portrait 3 to make my own mask sets.

FWIW, I use Inkscape for drawing and the inkscape-silhouette extension to cut masks directly from Inkscape. Other SW is available, including whatever Silhouette provides. Wheel masks are easy; canopy masks are a little tougher--I did manage to produce  the flat and simple curved panels for the Monogram 1/48 T-6. A useful technique I learned was to put different parts of the mask in different layers; this allows me to just cut specific parts of the mask.

AT-6-masks-2.png

I also used my Portrait (1) to scribe Evergreen 10 mil plastic sheet for a Mk 21 mount for a 1/48 LCM3. I had to finish the cuts with a #11 blade, drill, and reamers. Your unit might be able to directly cut this plastic.

lcm-mk-21-mount2.jpg

I use a light hold cutting mat as a backing for Frisket sheet, Tamiya masking sheet, and even strips of Tamiya tape. The regular hold mat is far too strong, resulting in distorted or torn masks.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Seems that the Canadair Sabre F.4 is now in stock at Airfix.

One will be winging it's way to me in the next few days! out the window goes my policy of building more than I buy in the year, I've already bought 8 other kits, but only built 2 so far and on my 3rd! Mind you after what happened yesterday (see grump thread) I think I needed a bit of retail therapy! 😆

On 4/14/2021 at 11:26 PM, treker_ed said:

Just been a bit naughty....:bobby:

Just to aid in my small harrier collection, and noticing that Hannants have just had a large Kinetic restock, I decided to have a perusal. Lo and behold they have restocked the FRS.1 and T.Birds 😄

I now have a Kinetic FRS.1 and one of the T.2/T.4/T.8 (plus masking) winging its way to me over the next few days once they have processed the order. Happy days.

So now to build I have

2 x Kinetic GR1/GR3

1 x Kinetic FRS.1

1 x Kinetic FA.2

1 x Kinetic T.2/T.4/T.8

1 x Hasegawa GR.7/GR.9

The Harrier is definitely a type under-represented in my modelling collection - hopefully at some point this year to be corrected (provided I pull a digit out of the applicable orifice and get building of course! 😆)

(Forgot to say - all in 1/48 scale)

LOL!

In my case the Harrier is 'over' represented in my collection but seriously under built! Mostly due to my habit of trying to hoard all of the extras and then being distracted by other shiny things to build. So far, the following kits remain neglected:

Kinetic:

1/48 Harrier GR.1

1/48 Harrier GR.3

1/48 Harrier T.2/T.4/T.8

1/48 Harrier FRS.1

1/48 Harrier FA.2

Including Model Alliance Sea Harrier Part 1 for the FRS.1 and Qinetc VAAC decals for the T.2/T.4/T.8

Hasegawa

1/48 Harrier AV-8B II Plus

1/48 Harrier GR.5

1/48 Harrier GR.7

1/48 Harrier GR.9

1/48 Harrier T.12 (courtesy of the CMK conversion set)

Including the Airframe decals for the Harrier Retirement schemes.

I have custom lighting kits and engine parts for some along with some nice Brassin and pitot tubes. What I really need now is another 20 of me to get cracking on them (actually, one of me per kit to get on with it and a spare to just stare in terror and procrastinate by playing on the BM site 🤪). I fully imagine you'll be able to complete all of the above before I manage a single one of mine. 😬

Cheers

1 hour ago, Nocoolname said:

In my case the Harrier is 'over' represented in my collection but seriously under built! Mostly due to my habit of trying to hoard all of the extras and then being distracted by other shiny things to build. So far, the following kits remain neglected:

@Nocoolname and also @treker_ed

I noticed you both have Kinetic's 1.48 Sea Harrier FS.1.

I'm sure you are aware that the May 2021 issue Airfix Model World has a build of a Kinetic FRS.1 converted to an Indian Navy FRS.51, where the builder seems to enjoy the build, and is very happy with Kinetic's model. 

34 minutes ago, Whofan said:

I'm sure you are aware that the May 2021 issue Airfix Model World has a build of a Kinetic FRS.1 converted to an Indian Navy FRS.51, where the builder seems to enjoy the build, and is very happy with Kinetic's model. 

Very aware - I have been a subscriber to the magazine for quite a number of years now - I think about 7 or 8 years or so. It's the only one that has been consistent and bar the first  5 or 6 issues, I have all of the magazine as published by Key Publishing! Must admit I have been trying to get the missing issues though!

• Like 1

Begemot Su-35S Decal sheet for the GWH kit I am currently building. I'm hoping some of the more generic decals on the sheets will also be of use for my GWH Su-27UB (and Su-27 when it arrives).

IMG_8770_HEIC-M.jpg

Duncan B

• Like 2

1 hour ago, treker_ed said:

Very aware - I have been a subscriber to the magazine for quite a number of years now - I think about 7 or 8 years or so. It's the only one that has been consistent and bar the first  5 or 6 issues, I have all of the magazine as published by Key Publishing! Must admit I have been trying to get the missing issues though!

Sometimes people miss things, I know I do, but glad to see you've got it under control!

5 hours ago, Whofan said:

Nope! No idea about that, but I also think it’s a lovely kit and have been rendering 1/48 Blue Fox and Blue Vixen in 3D CAD to add a even more to these wonderful Kinetic kits. 😀

I keep hoping that they will ‘accidentally’ produce a new tool Buccaneer in 1/48. Just at the same time that Airfix and Trumpeter ‘accidentally’ produce 1/350 kits of the Queen Elizabeth (R08) and Ark Royal (R09) (...along with a same scale IM Type 42 to keep it company...) 🤪

In the meantime my recent purchases have been an array of bits and bobs...

Quinta Studios:

1/48 F-15E Cockpit

1/48 F-18F/G Cockpit

Wolfpack Design:

1/48 F/A-18E/F Refuling Probe

1/48 F-14 Refuelling Probe (just to make my current Hasegawa build even more complicated)

Tamiya:

1/48 F-16 replacement parts for the bits I stuffed up on a current Arctic Aggressor build. 😬 Big thanks to The Hobby Company for saving my skin there in record time! 👍

And I accidentally just purchased another 1/72 Space 1999 Mk IX Hawk to add to that collection. That makes three now. 🤭

But my most important purchase, delivered today, is my all in one electric trimmer. Between the beard and the fact that my hair was creeping into longness when they launched Lockdown 3, I now resemble Tom Hank’s’ even scruffier doppelgänger from

Castaway. So with today’s acquisition I finally have a chance of returning to humanity!

🙃

• Thanks 1

An Italeri Fiat Abarth 131 1/24 rally car kit, to go with the wheels & decals I bought from Spotmodels just over a week ago. It came from Ricksmodels, a Kiwi shop specializing in cars. They could see more of my shekels. :)

Steve.

• Like 2

Oops.  DCS, here I come!

Sunday browsing resulted in a i7 10700, RTX 3070 showroom sale. Getting the components separately is unpossible so for 1800€ can't pass this one by.

Some rare finds:

a Pegasus Lockheed XFV-1 Salmon VTOL experimental, and MPM Spit PR.XI via the 'bay. 

y4mkhRqQDzb0ktxWRXYN5crSsjqo_j9bvq44jGvj

• Like 5

3 hours ago, alt-92 said:

Oops.  DCS, here I come!

Sunday browsing resulted in a i7 10700, RTX 3070 showroom sale. Getting the components separately is unpossible so for 1800€ can't pass this one by.

y4mkhRqQDzb0ktxWRXYN5crSsjqo_j9bvq44jGvj

Nice..... I'm running my gaming rig with a RTX2070 at the moment, my previous GPU was a GTX970 which had lasted me about 5 years before it started to struggle with more modern games. I managed to get it swapped out last spring I think just a couple of months or so before everything really started to go mental around the crypto-currency mining garbage and not being able to buy GPUs etc.

My current rig is kind of a hybrid mid-high end:

AMD 2600X @ 3.6Ghz

16Gb Ram

1 x 1TB SSD Samsung EVO 860 (Windows Drive only)

1 x 256Gb SSD Samsung 850 Pro (Linux Drive)

1 x 4TB Seagate HDD (Games installs)

1 x Western Digital 750GB HDD (Backups)

1 x 500GB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD

1 x Pioneer BD-RW optical drive

1 x Optiarc DVD-RW Optical Drive

(And I do use the optical drives quite regularly surprisingly!)

All hooked up to an internal gigabit home network, and a 500mb fibre broadband package for our internet supply.  Lets just say that I don't tend to have any slow downs in my gaming or other PC activities 😇😁

• Like 1