What's your latest acquisition Part V ?

Duncan B

6 hours ago, treker_ed said:

I've recently decided that unless it's not available from anywhere else, I'm not buying from Amazon.

Well, to each his own I guess. Not that I should have to defend my buying choices, but since I got back into modelling I've also put a substantial amount of money in the tills of (off the top of my head) Hannants, Kingkit, Dave Coley's Emporium, Emodel, Modelhobbies, Superhobby and the little shop at Newark Air Museum, so the 20 quid I've put in Jeff Bezos's direction is if not a drop in the ocean at least a drop in a fair sized puddle. Fact is that I have to be as careful with my pennies as anybody else and if a deal as good as this comes along I'm not going to apologise for going for it for it. In a general sense, Amazon is successful because they have an excellent business model. I've never had an issue with a delivery. I'm not aware of any specific labour abuses by Amazon (unlike, say, the Sports Direct group, which doesn't see any of my money for this reason), I'm sure they demand a lot of their employees, but then I've worked for successful businesses that have demanded a lot of me, so I kind of see this as part of the rough and tumble of living in a capitalist system. Just because they're big it doesn't make them bad. And as for Chinese goods, well, being Chinese doesn't make something inherently bad - there's not much that isn't made in China nowadays.

Still shoddy work with that label though.

Cheers

• Like 1

I only use eBay and from the UK only,over the years i've used companies and private sellers and stick with them if there are any problems and something goes wrong they're great in sorting it out and nothing is to much trouble...

@TonyOD my post was no commentary on your buying. I posted last night from my mobile and was unable to remove your name tag from the quoted piece of text, I was simply making my observations about why I was no longer buying from Amazon, now that I have access to my main PC and proper editing abilities, I have removed the tag from the post accordingly.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

I only use eBay and from the UK only,over the years i've used companies and private sellers and stick with them if there are any problems and something goes wrong they're great in sorting it out and nothing is to much trouble...

Likewise, despite seeing an awful lot of complaints about ebay in the US, touch wood I've only ever had one problem buying off e-bay UK and that was a non delivery a couple of years back when the Hermes driver said she'd left the parcel in 'the shed'. Don't know who's shed that could have been as ours was locked....!! Seller then got abusive and wouldn't believe me so complained to ebay and they sorted it no problem. 

As to Amazon, I don't use them unless I can't get stuff anywhere else mainly because I've seen examples of that shoddy packaging on here and elsewhere many times before. The missus uses them a lot though and I also have to say that so far she's had no problems with deliveries.

As to latest  aquisitions, I yesterday unpacked this lot from my latest Scalemodelshop delivery after its quarantine (and I can't recommend Scalemodelshop enough - as usual had excellent service from them - ordered these last Friday at around 11.30 am, got a despatched note from them about an hour later and they were delivered by DPD at 10 am Saturday morning - free delivery too!)

IMG_20210331_120252351

Keith

• Like 6

Quite a haul for me recently which is unusual since I had been taking my stash in the reverse direction - shedding 2/3 over the last year, mostly because there was no way I'd be able to build what I had especially since an eye condition has started to make close up fine art work more challenging. Quite frustrating really - my distance vision is fine (which is obviously a very good thing) but the eyes can get quite sore with sustained close up focus which is what my models require. Anyway, this year seems to be one of those where the modelling planets are in alignment with a lot of kits I'd only dreamed of landing are all on the way, so I've bagged a few along with a few extra nuggets while awaiting the rest and which will provide some extra insulation while I butcher a perfectly good 1/48 Hasegawa F-14A and Tamiya F-16CJ for 'special' WIP's:

First up, the new Hobbyboss 1/48 MV-22 Osprey, courtesy of @Duncan B at Black Mike Models who got it to me double-fast:

IMG_3567

I always liked this strange aircraft and bagged the Italeri kit a few years back but struggled with the idea of all the extra work with re-scribing and the like so let it go in the end. When HB announced their intention to release one I was excited and I'm now thinking on how to shoe-horn the Black Dog set into this kit while hoping to obtain a set of decals for a more colourful subject, such as one of the Special Forces birds.

Next up is the new 1/48 Su-33 from Minibase, courtesy of the good folks at the 'Big H'. I let go of the Kinetic version of this kit a long time ago while 'rationalisng' Sukhoi collection, thinking I should limit myself to one or two Flankers at the top end of the quality spectrum and thought I was off to a sensible start with the acquisition of the exceptional GWH 1/48 Su-27UB. I was then just thinking of getting a Kitty Hawk Flanker B to accompany it but when I saw this kit I was simply blown away by the detail and potential and just couldn't help myself. It's an absolute stunner of a kit. If any AM company manages to up the ante with even more detail to this kit then they deserve a medal.

IMG_3566

Next is another of my hotly anticipated kits. The B-17 has been a firm favourite for me since I was a kid and I had 'tinkered' with the Revellogram 1/48 kit before letting it go many years back due to being dazzled by the HKM 1/32 model but equally too intimidated to buy something of that size. So when they announced a quarter scale version I was delighted. The model I always wanted to build was the Memphis Belle (yes, cliched I know but hey ho) and even though they released a 'G' I couldn't pass it up just in case they never got round to an 'F'. At the time I figured modding such a new tool to an 'F' give me a far nicer outcome than trying to bring a Revellogram 'F' up to the HKM standard. But then they announced plans for the F so I let my G go at Christmas and kept my finfgers crossed. It finally landed on these shores last week and @Duncan B got it to me in double-time and I'm now mulling over the AM to add to this. Finally a modern tooling of the 'Belle' I've always wanted.

IMG_3564

Next up is one I've been trying to bag for a while now with no luck. I already had the GWH 1/48 F-15C MSIP II ANG but that was destined to be dressed as an F-15A ASAT and I wanted another kit so I could build a 'Shiro Ruyku' Dragon from my Two Bobs set so managed to bag this special edition C for far less than I expected (and far less than I had seen the MSIP and similar kits go for recently).

IMG_3565

Next are two sets of ResKit cans for a Tornado F.2 Prototype I have as a WIP and a Eurofighter I have in the stash and . Unfortunately the former were missing the outer parts but the 'Big H' have got replacements out to me in record time so a huge thumbs up from me! The sets are exquisite and for the Tornado in particular provide for some options I had hoped to experiment with but was unable to with the kit parts alone.

IMG_3568

Finally, I have received the 3D prints of the base parts for 3 Foxhunter radar sets for Tornado F.2 and F.3 kits that are WIP's and planned. They go with additional detail parts made in finer material.

IMG_3569

That's it for now until the HKM 1/48 Lancasters land (will likely go for two of those), followed by the Tamiya 1/48 F-4B (three of those thank you very much!), the Airfix 1/72 Vulcan (if it finally hits the virtual shelves), the Hobbyboss 1/48 Chinook, the Zoukei Mura F-4G and then the Revell 1/48 SR-71. If someone could just get round to tolling a modern 1/48 Buccaneer that'll be me set.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Whofan said:

like you, if I can, I would always buy from a non Amazon source; but given the fact that bookshops , record shops are not considered essential, and are closed, other than Hannants and other model businesses via mail order I do buy from Amazon.

For that last four or five years, all of my records (vinyl) has come from Discogs. Nice mix of private sellers and independent shops from all over the world sell there offering old and new releases. Great place to bag those rarities too!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

mainly because I've seen examples of that shoddy packaging

It's the first time I've seen this kind of thing and (kits apart) between myself and SWMBO we get a fair bit of stuff from Amazon. To be fair there was no damage to the box (apart from it being defaced by a label), and as the journey from Amazon warehouse to doorstep through their dedicated delivery service is probably less arduous than it would be through Royal Mail, so perhaps I should be applauding them for their environmental friendliness. I've accumulated a ridiculous amount of medium-sized carboard boxes (I only need one rattlecan spray booth!)

@treker_ed Thanks - I wasn't having a pop, I think we all have different experiences and perspectives to share and this is a good thing.

@Nocoolname I bet that '48 Fortress is a beast!

• Like 1

Illushyn IL-18 just arrived from USA via ebay. All paid up front, posted 18th March. Would have had it yesterday, but I was out.

I think that's it for my Russian airliners now, just waiting for new decals for it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TonyOD said:

o perhaps I should be applauding them for their environmental friendliness. I've accumulated a ridiculous amount of medium-sized carboard boxes

Good point, well made! We've got a mountain of cardboard in the garage too!

K

• Haha 1

For me, my latest acquisitions have been more of a supply restock, but  I did manage to get a couple of kits for later.

51016928885_ffc1473dec_c.jpg

Paint, rod stock bits and a new cowl for my Airfix Sea Fury 

51082657813_99237dc116_c.jpg

Extras for a Lancaster restoration I will eventually get to.... I promise

51082657833_ab7f4a5593_c.jpg

and a couple kits for later. After bills I can see where my Stimulus cheque went to. :drink: Although to be fair I did spend more at Hannants online than 

my regular online places. Ironically more often than not its cheaper to order and ship from the U.K than order and ship here in the States. Go figure :pilot:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

That one passed me by, hadn't heard about it - love the box art, it's stunning!

K

It’s a really nice kit. A bit lacking in the interior department but I’m sure the AM companies will come to the rescue.

12 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

@LorenSharp You mean you didn't go for the Mach 2 SeaDart? Shame on you!

Unfortunately cant see well enough to do 1/72, As they say blind in one eye and can't see out the other. Besides everything I have is in 1/48. What's a feller to do?:shutup:  It'll be  enough of a challenge when the time comes.:drink:

4 hours ago, fightersweep said:

For that last four or five years, all of my records (vinyl) has come from Discogs. Nice mix of private sellers and independent shops from all over the world sell there offering old and new releases. Great place to bag those rarities too!

I’m well aware of discogs but in all honesty haven’t considered it as a source of CDs. Thanks for the heads up, will have another look at them.

1 minute ago, Whofan said:

I’m well aware of discogs but in all honesty haven’t considered it as a source of CDs. Thanks for the heads up, will have another look at them.

It's worth a look. I buy a lot of CDs from Russia via Discogs. Not had any issues over the years, and that's been a lot of purchases!

• Thanks 1

From Poundland

Nearest Poundland is 13 miles away and this is the first time I have been near it in a year and tried a 180g Dark Chocolate Twin Peaks Bar  “Inspired By The Wrekin & Ercall Hills” which apparently must look like V1 Launch Ramps , very nice Toblerone substitute  for a pound and not as cloyingly sweet as the real thing has become

From Postscript Books latest catalogue for about a third of cover RRP

How To Fly A Battle Of Britain Fighter edited by Campbell McCutcheon , published 2014 by Amberley as a compilation of WWII Pilot’s Notes

Rails Across North America – A Pictorial Journey Across The USA by David Cable , published 2015 by Pen & Sword , railways not a pressing interest as such but always found that huge US trains combined with dramatic big skies and backgrounds make for fascinating photography , one of a series from around the world and might try some of the others if the price remains right

In The Cockpit II – Inside History Making Aircraft of World War II by Roger Connor , Christopher Moore , Eric Long and Mark Avino , published 2010 by Collins , cockpits and  interiors of thirty or so  Smithsonian Museum Collection aircraft

MiG-23 In The Middle-East – Algeria , Egypt , Iraq , Libya & Syria 1973-2018 by Tom Hooper , published 2018 by Helion

Moscow’s Game Of Poker – Russian Military Intervention In Syria 2015-2017 by Tom Hooper , published 2018 by Helion

The Red Line – A Railway Journey Through The Cold War by Christopher Knowles , published 2017 by Pen & Sword , hopefully not as condescending as Paul Theroux on his similar journeys

From Scots Books via Amazon

F-4 Phantom by Tim McLelland, published 2013 by Classic , 320 glossy pages of photos , drawings and artwork added to the Harrier , Lightning and TSR2 volumes I already have from the same series , this was also available in Postscript’s current catalogue but when checking prices against other sellers it was £5 cheaper here even once shipping was added (total £14.88) and there are still six left in stock  this morning if anyone is interested

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

1x Flea treatment

1x Worm tablet

I'm going to have a nice peaceful day because his lordship'll avoid me like the plague for a few hours once i've given them to him....

If you really want to annoy him, take him to the vet to have his anal glands emptied.  He'll do his best to avoid you for a week after that!

• Haha 2

A couple of days ago a small parcel from Hannants containing some RR Trents for the Zvezda 777-300 kit I have, it is destined to become a AirNZ -200. & to make up the minimum shipping cost, some CAM decals for a gulf war era (two grays) F-4G. Then yesterday a box from HLj, they do pack their stuff so beautifully, with a Finemolds F-4EJ Kai in Ocean scheme with some Vichobby JASDF paints for the ocean scheme. Those I'm keen to do some swatches with, the kit, it looks scarey complex to me. :unsure:

Ordered a yesterday, a copy of Circling the Sun, by Paula Mclain, a work of faction from what I can see about Beryl Markham & Kenya between the wars, long a subject of interest to me & something I chanced upon doing some follow up to a post by @Mjwomack in Grandboofs thread 

Steve.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, 593jones said:

If you really want to annoy him, take him to the vet to have his anal glands emptied.  He'll do his best to avoid you for a week after that!

Oooooohh  Poo! Done that. The smell is horrendous. The only thing that smells worse is ethyl mercaptans.

John.

4 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Oooooohh  Poo! Done that. The smell is horrendous. The only thing that smells worse is ethyl mercaptans.

John.

Yes, it's a horrible smell, on one occasion the vet had a slight mishap when performing the procedure and got sprayed in the face.  She finished the procedure, though.  She earned her money that day!

• Sad 1

It's been a while since I've posted here. The latest lockdown hasn't stopped the stash from growing, although some of the infux is planned for use in upcoming GBs.

All from Hobby 2000 (all ex-Hasegawa)

Buffalo "Finnish Aces" (for the Nordic GB):

1235224-12741-43-pristine.jpg

MS 406 "Middle East" (for the French Fancy GB):

1318773-47642-12-720.jpg

Beaufighter IF/IC (for the Bristol GB):

1190286-12741-41-pristine.jpg

Heller Thunderjet w/new decal sheet (for the Nordic GB, as the Danish subject):

227137-13652-54-pristine.jpg

Two Heller Ouragons with the new decals sheet, just because I felt like it (when I ordered them months ago):

227289-13777-60-pristine.jpg

Hobby Boss Jaguar E (for the French Fancy GB, and all the extra stores):

254021-27826-80-720.jpg

Airfix Hawk 100 w/new decals (may yet build this for the Anzac GB):

1260860-17841-57-720.jpg

Edited by klr
  • Like 7