What's your latest acquisition Part V ?

Duncan B

With all the metal kits in the Anything But Injection GB, I decided my stash needed an addition. I found a nice 1/48 kit in Wiseman Model Services' O Scale Ford Style Farm Tractor kit. This will make a nice addition to the growing collection of 1/48 vehicles. This is a bit of a trial, as they also have a 1/48 Traction Engine that I'd love to have. This is very encouraging as the parts look quite finely cast! 

fordtractor1.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mr T said:

I think calling the Airfix Yak 9 kit a classic kit is pushing definition of 'classic' a bit. Kudos to Airfix in 1965 for bringing out a kit of a Russian WW2 aircraft, but it was never one of their best. I still have not so fond memories of building one in 1980. On the other hand the Heller F86 is a lovely little kit. 

I confess I thought it was an airfix YAK-9 I made one Saturday, before my youngest brother was born, so it was before 1959. My parents went to a wedding that saturday, leaving myself and my slightly younger brother in the care of my grandparents, which is how I remember building the kit.

But it couldn't have been a YAK-9, it was definitely a Russian plane;  any ideas what it might have been?

Edited by Whofan

2 hours ago, Mr T said:

I think calling the Airfix Yak 9 kit a classic kit is pushing definition of 'classic' a bit. Kudos to Airfix in 1965 for bringing out a kit of a Russian WW2 aircraft, but it was never one of their best. I still have not so fond memories of building one in 1980. On the other hand the Heller F86 is a lovely little kit. 

I never thought it was going to be the greatest. However seeing as Im starting to get into Soviet types and it was a decent price. It will work for a start. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

The American Civil War..

Is that the Ken Burns documentary?

His work has an excellent style of delivery and content that sadly has been lost by many currently making them.

• Like 2

The Airfix Aston Martin kits I'd ordered a week ago arrived this morning, brought in from the front door by a scowling unhappy looking SHE. :D  I couldn't resist opening one to see how dire it was. At first glance it didn't look too bad but then a front on view to check for symmetry revealed not much of that, the passenger area appears straight & square but there was a distinct twist forward of the windscreen opening. :( & a trial fitting of the floor pan to body was not encouraging, at which point I packed it up again & told it to stay in there until it improves its behaviour. It could be there for a bit.  :unsure:  I lacked the courage to open the other one. :)

Steve.

• Haha 3

Just pre-ordered another 2 Revell type VII-C 1/144 U-Boats for the Das Boot anniversary gift set, making 4 of these winging their way here soon, a few decal sheets from Peddinghaus to make 3 other versions and a couple of Revell type VII-Cs in 1/350 and my first Hobby Boss Type IX-C in 1/350 with a few u-boat books. 

9 hours ago, Des said:

Is that the Ken Burns documentary?

His work has an excellent style of delivery and content that sadly has been lost by many currently making them.

No this one is by the Discovery Channel...I've seen the Ken Burns one on PBS but for a dvd set it's to long for me,i think it's about 15 hours or more this ones just 5 with 3 discs,i like his docu's though the Dust Bowl is excellent and on my list of buys eventually...

Edited by Vince1159
  • Like 1

Latest from HLJ and Plaza Japan, 2 Phantoms ans VIc Hobby paints to try out the Sea Camo in JASDF aircraft.

spacer.png

Regards

Robert

• Like 6

From Amazon

Des Mirage et des Hommes : Du Mystére-Delta au Mirage III F3 and Du Mirage F1 au Super Mirage 4000   (The Mirage and Men: From Mystére-Delta to Mirage III F3 and From Mirage F1 to Super Mirage 4000) both by André Bréand , both published 2015 by Ėditions Cépaduès , history of the Mirage family in two heavily illustrated A5 volumes although text in French throughout

From World of Books

Thinking The Unthinkable - RAF And East German Fast-Jet Pilots In The Cold War by Nigel Walpole , published 2020 by Air World an imprint of Pen & Sword , well-illustrated in black & white throughout with an interesting insight to the two forces during the Cold War

From Aero Research

Latest PDF releases - A-6 Intruder & Prowler Part 6  and a production history/registrations /dispositions e-book on the Model 1121 Jet Commander and Commodore along with one of the older Air Racer albums that I have previously been passing over in favour of more interesting (to me) subjects – Unlimited Racers 1975 - 1985

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

I’ll tell you what *won’t* be my latest acquisition- the forthcoming Hobby 2000 F-111F. Not at over forty quid! It’s over a tenner what they asked for their F-4C/D!

IIRC Hasegawa F-111's were always more expensive than the Tooms? And I bet the H2K ones will be cheaper than some of the Hase ones have been going for on flea bay! And they are coming with Cartograph decals (Hasegawa's were pretty naff!) and masks. If I didn't still have an old Hase kit in stock I'd be getting one!

I was surprised yesterday when mooching around HLJ's site that they have H2K Phantoms listed at £55..... while Hasegawa 1/48 F-4EJ Kais are £18.....!!!

Keith

Today's my birthday, and I received gift vouchers for Hannants totaling £250. I guess I'll have to continue putting up with the family.    :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 7

ETo add to the Austrian (mostly) Air force collection, these from Hannants;

SAM_8988

The Eurocopter will be converted with the Naval models resin conversion kit - on way from Holland - to an Eurocpter H 145 which is used as the Air Ambulance in Carinthia, Austria.

My mother in law was born in Carinthia, I discovered Brent Air decals a short while ago, run by an Austrian in Vienna, and they do decals for the Carinthian air ambulance - in 1/32. When I explained why I wanted the decals in 1/72nd, he responded by telling me he was also born in Carinthia, in Spittal and der Drau. 

Our relatives now live near to Spittal, and we had a friendly email conversation about Spittal, and the fact that the Carinthian Air Ambulance is based in a village about a mile from where the relatives live, and he agreed to scale the decals down to 1/72 for me. 

It's possible that on our last couple of visits to Austria we may have seen the air ambulance operating in the distance, but truthfully, I doubt it. Nonetheless, this is about as close a reminder of our many happy visits to Austria since we married in 1975, and which we both hope we can continue to do so when this madness ends.

The Turbo porter will also be an Austrian air force plane, using decals agan from Brent Air decals - a somewhat colourful blue and white scheme.

The Friul tracks are for the Leopard 2 as operated by the Austrian Army, so consistency there !

And then, these;

SAM_8990

The Zlin trener (from Wonderland models) was also operated by the Austrian Airforce, and again, via Brent Air decals, it will be done in a yellow paint scheme as it was used as part of a display team.

The Aerocraft brass under carriage for the 1/72 Kinetic reaper drone is above the Zlin box, many thanks to Ali from Aerocraft models for getting these to me so promptly.

I'm now just waiting for the Brent Air decals and the naval models conversion kit to arrive.

Edited by Whofan
  • Like 7

Now something completely new! I saw one of these on a WIP thread somewhere, so as my settings are only temporary with various pieces of white coated wood, I'll invest in one of these.

A PULUZ Light Box..
photo-th.jpg

It has all of the electrics, LED lighting and 6 various coloured backgrounds.

• Like 4

On 3/24/2021 at 4:04 PM, treker_ed said:

(Thought I'd stock up on a few other paints whilst I was getting the gloss black.....)

Plus some masking, and a couple of Eduard resin Tempest intake rings for the Royal Class Tempest V boking that I have in the stash.

I think that will be my last order for a couple of months (well until they restock the Airfix Wellington GR VIII masks, and the Kinetic Harrier GR3 masks come into stock that is... 😉 but don't tell the wife🤫)

And now the masking that I was waiting on has now come into stock:

2 x EX756 Kinetic Harrier

1 x CX556 Airfix Buccaneer (new mould)

1 x Airfix Vickers Wellington GR Mk VIII

And that is definitely it for now. This month I must have spent the best part of £350 on stuff from Hannants 😱, all of which the boss lady knows about (she has to work from home and there is no where else I can get this delivered to!) But she is very accepting of my hobby. I totted up the other day just how much I had spent at Hannants since getting back into the addiction in 2011 £5000+🤑, and that was just the stuff that had been invoiced. This is not including stuff bought at shows where Hannants were in attendance or stuff bought in addition to collection orders, or other suppliers, or books etc.

But then, I worked it out as a monthly amount and when I did that, it came out to less than I would pay for a meal out at one of the semi-decent restaurants in the town I live or a large round of drinks on a night out. So it didn't seem too bad in the end. And at least, I have something tangible at the end of the day to show for what I've paid out 😁

• Like 3

Lotsa props!

spacer.png

Italeri Dak that I bought off some bloke on Facebook Marketplace. Turned out to be @fightersweep.

Airfix B-25. I blame @vppelt68 for this one, but £20 delivered off of Amazon isn't to be sniffed at. Note their classy packaging - "Box? It's already in a box! Just slap a label on it!" Receptionist lady at work raised an eyebrow when I picked it up. My secret is out.

And the Pe-8 is for the upcoming Unarmed GB, all the way from Poland.

Edited by TonyOD
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3

@TonyOD I'll be getting a bad reputation with significant other halves before long!

Shoddy work by Amazon there. Poor show, and not good for maintaining ones status of modelling incognito. Duly noted. Shan't be ordering kits from Amazon unless the missus is away.

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, fightersweep said:

Shoddy work by Amazon there. Poor show, and not good for maintaining ones status of modelling incognito. Duly noted. Shan't be ordering kits from Amazon unless the missus is away.

I've recently decided that unless it's not available from anywhere else, I'm not buying from Amazon. I've had too many problems with delivery drivers, and when you start digging down into where a lot of the goods are actually coming from, most of it is supplied from Chinese manufacturers. Nothing wrong with that, but it anything goes wrong, there is no UK warranty other than amazon. And with the apparent way they have been treating their workers, no thanks. I prefer to get brands I recognise and trust, and have used in the past, and from suppliers I recognise and trust. 

Most of my computer equipment come from a company in Bolton I've used for nearly 30 years, books I tend to get from the likes of independents if I can. Mainly I just don't like Amazon's work practices and lack of ethics.

Edited by treker_ed
remove tag
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, treker_ed said:

I've recently decided that unless it's not available from anywhere else, I'm not buying from Amazon. I've had too many problems with delivery drivers, and when you start digging down into where a lot of the goods are actually coming from, most of it is supplied from Chinese manufacturers. Nothing wrong with that, but it anything goes wrong, there is no UK warranty other than amazon. And with the apparent way they have been treating their workers, no thanks. I prefer to get brands I recognise and trust, and have used in the past, and from suppliers I recognise and trust. 

Most of my computer equipment come from a company in Bolton I've used for nearly 30 years, books I tend to get from the likes of independents if I can. Mainly I just don't like Amazon's work practices and lack of ethics.

I take your point, and can only give you my personal experience that in all the time I have been using Amazon, well over 10 years, I haven't had a single problem with delivery drivers. And given the circumstances over the last year, I think we must have their best delivery drivers here (Kidderminster).

As for Chinese goods, I think if you go into any shop you will find Chinese goods.

Yes, if you get a problem with something, Amazon can be frustrating, but then you can have problems with other businesses- for instance, I am building up to suing Vodafone (long story) for their failures in providing me with a telephone service.

like you, if I can, I would always buy from a non Amazon source; but given the fact that bookshops , record shops are not considered essential, and are closed, other than Hannants and other model businesses via mail order I do buy from Amazon. That doesn't mean I approve of their business practices.

As we come out of lockdown though I will be buying far less from Amazon and far more retail.

• Like 4