What's your latest acquisition Part V ?

Duncan B

Three tickets to the cinema today to see the Lord Of The Rings Trilogy that is the 4k remastered versions that starts in just over an hours time and finishes at 9.20pm. A ten and a half hour sitting.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Hello everyone... put my first order in with PlazaJapan today. Two 1/48 Hasegawa P-47D bubble tops for a special project, a 1/72 Hasegawa F-2A/B fighter, and a Finemolds 1/35 turned metal barrel for my grandfathers M4(105) Sherman. All told with shipping for $83.00 not bad considering I would've only gotten the two P-47’s for that locally if I could find them. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Mick4350 said:

Three tickets to the cinema today to see the Lord Of The Rings Trilogy that is the 4k remastered versions that starts in just over an hours time and finishes at 9.20pm. A ten and a half hour sitting.

Nice one Mick, looking forward to UK Cinemas opening again and seeing Top Gun 2 and new Bond flick and eating some popcorn too, guess these flicks wont get shown until all Cinemas globally can show them at same time too though?

Enjoy your cinema visit, envy you :)

4 minutes ago, One 48 said:

Enjoy your cinema visit, envy you :)

Just seen the first two movies and in twenty minutes the Return of the King begins in this VMAX cinema that is about two thirds full ( 200 or so ) for all sittings so far. Saw the new clip for Top Gun: Maverick at the start of the session at 11am, although it stated it was coming in 2020. Lot of delayed movies this year.

• Thanks 1

A couple of items arrived for me today, one was a pleasant surprise, ordered on the 21st of July last year from LuckyModel, a sheet of Kuwait F/A-18C/D decals by Orion Models. they'd probably been caught in the Covid caused shipping capacity restrictions & come surface mail, or maybe that was all I paid for, either way, I'd quite forgotten about them & it was a pleasant surprise. :) The other, a Airfix BAE Hawk 100 kit, ordered on Wednesday, along with a couple of Airfix Aston Martin DB5 starter kits, I'm blaming @Sabrejet & @johnlambert for these latter. There was also an Airfix Fouga Magister, I now fancy a Katangese one of these in the Africa GB. Oh & before I forget, a Airfix Bird Dog kit, just because even though there is a new one in the offing afaik, @klrhas got the blame for this one. ;) :D  A good week with arrivals to look forward to next week :)

Steve.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

a couple of Airfix Aston Martin DB5 starter kits, I'm blaming @Sabrejet & @johnlambert for these 

Steve.

Hi Steve.  Buying one might be considered misfortune, but two looks like carelessness (as Oscar WIlde might have said). 😆

Good luck, I look forward to seeing your builds and the finished models.  What do you have in mind for them?

• Haha 3

A Benchvent BV-300SD spraybooth.

Gave it a quick test run earlier on one of my mules, very impressed, the difference between it and the cheapo Chinese booth I bought from ebay 4 years ago is night and day.

Confident I can now enter the world of spraying enamel and lacquer without hearing from another room, "WHAT THE HELL IS THAT STINK?" 😁

Edited by -Ian-
  • Like 3

From Key Publications

Land Rover Series III by John Carroll , published by Key 2021 , third volume in this series and like the others more heavily centred on modern restorations and collector’s events than the vehicles in their original use and service

British Fighter Of The 1970s And ‘80s by Chris Goss published by Key 2020 , the first in what promises to be a series of books using the images of the late David Howley and starts with the Lightning and Phantom in UK service although little niggles with my example which  had two Phantom images printed over each other and the contrast looked slightly off in some of the other images but maybe just unlucky with the latter and look forward to what follows (maybe a volume on sand/brown and/or grey/green coloured transports?)

Air To Air – 25 Years Of Spectacular Aerial Photography By John Dibbs , published by Key 2015 when it cost £7.99 but is currently £2.49 and does as the title says with 116  A4 Landscape format pages of  Warbird , Airliner and Fast Jets photographed air-to-air ,  was wondering why I missed this when new but realised  when first released it was packed in a sealed portrait format cardboard outer probably to fit better on shelf displays but prevented a pre-purchase flick through.

• Like 1

spacer.pngOne of Miniart's boxes of accessories, British Infantry Weapons and Equipment, a new release.  When I receive it I was more than a little surprised by a couple of the parts.  Included are a couple of SMLE rifles, one of which is the usual Mk.lll, but the other is a Mk.l, the very first SMLE introduced in 1903.  Also included is a P.1903 bayonet, perfect for the Mk. l, rather than the usual P.1907.

https://imgur.com/cOZLGwI

https://imgur.com/pBJqNbL

Yes, the plastic does match the pictures.  I can't imagine why Miniart would have modelled these as they are highly unlikely to have been used in World War 2.  Not complaining, you understand, but it's a bit like opening the box and finding a Vulcan B.Mk.l when you were expecting a B.Mk.2  :)

Edited by 593jones
  • Like 4

35 minutes ago, 593jones said:

Also included is a P.1903 bayonet, perfect for the Mk. l, rather than the usual P.1907.

My Enfield bayonet collection are outlined in red.

51055807526_ce92687206_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 4

3 hours ago, dogsbody said:

My Enfield bayonet collection are outlined in red.

51055807526_ce92687206_b.jpg

Chris

Pattern 1907 and No. 4 Mk 2(?).  I always thought the P.1903 would have been better for use in the First World War, being slightly shorter (12" as opposed to 17") it would have been handier in the trenches. Not sure what the second bayonet it, possible for a Mauser?  The Mosin Nagant is the M.91/30 with the spring catch, yes?

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Home Guard? :shrug:

Keith

Good call.  The Home Guard would have been the most likely to have used them in their early LDV days before there was uniformity with their equipment and they were issued with the US M.1917 rifle.  I suspect any LDV unit that could acquire any type of Lee Enfield would think themselves lucky!  

Edited by 593jones
  • Like 2

I deprived @Duncan B at BlackMike Models of this:

DSCN2062.jpg

I just finished two of the ICM 1/32 Gladiator/Sea Gladiator kits, but this one is my comfort kit for the stash :D 

... and these gents, from Hannants:

DSCN2061.jpg

One of whom, I hope, will occupy my ICM Fiat CR.42 :) 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

A couple of CDs,  Eurythmics, 1984 For The Love of Big Brother soundtrack and Tangerine Dream, The Endless Season, Part Five from The Five Atomic Seasons.

• Like 2

Lots of paint...

After the order the other day, I'm sat at the workbench priming the Airfix Phantom FG-1 "Black Mike" boxing, when I realise that I don't have enough gloss black a) to do the metallics or b) to actually paint the kit!

In goes my 3rd hannants order in 2 weeks - for Tamiya Acrylic paint

3 x X-1 - Gloss Black

2 x X-2 - Gloss White

2 x X-18 - Satin Black

3 x XF-1 - Matt Black

3 x XF-69 - NATO Black

3 x XF-71 - IJN Cockpit Green

2 x XF-75 - IJN Grey (Kure Arsenal)

2 x XF-77 - IJN Grey (Sasebo Arsenal)

2 x XF-87 - IJN Grey (Maizuru Arsenal)

2 x XF-88 - Dark Yellow 2

2 x XF-90 - Red-Brown 2

2 x XF-91 - IJN Grey (Yokosuka Arsenal)

(Thought I'd stock up on a few other paints whilst I was getting the gloss black.....)

Plus some masking, and a couple of Eduard resin Tempest intake rings for the Royal Class Tempest V boking that I have in the stash.

I think that will be my last order for a couple of months (well until they restock the Airfix Wellington GR VIII masks, and the Kinetic Harrier GR3 masks come into stock that is... 😉 but don't tell the wife🤫)

• Like 3

Another box of classic kits for my growing collection. Matchbox A-20, Italeri B-25 B/C/D, Airfix Yak-9, Heller F-86E, Matchbox Helldiver Bi-plane, two P-51B’s one monogram and one Hasegawa. Seeing as the only swap meets around here wont be open until 2022 these are my swap meet buys for the year. 

• Like 7

20 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Another box of classic kits for my growing collection. Matchbox A-20, Italeri B-25 B/C/D, Airfix Yak-9, Heller F-86E, Matchbox Helldiver Bi-plane, two P-51B’s one monogram and one Hasegawa. Seeing as the only swap meets around here wont be open until 2022 these are my swap meet buys for the year. 

I think calling the Airfix Yak 9 kit a classic kit is pushing definition of 'classic' a bit. Kudos to Airfix in 1965 for bringing out a kit of a Russian WW2 aircraft, but it was never one of their best. I still have not so fond memories of building one in 1980. On the other hand the Heller F86 is a lovely little kit. 

• Sad 1