What's your latest acquisition Part V ?

Duncan B

Stand by your beds...!

Today the postal gods have been good to me.  They delivered:

Battle-axe Blenheims by Stuart R Scott

Two Eduard Fw190 kits (thanks @mikesmodels)

A Tamiya V1

Some Albion Alloys brass tubes and rods

Some AA sanding sticks

White Humbrol 34 tinlet

A copy of Interesting Times by Terry Pratchett.

That little lot should keep me busy.

• Like 1

From one 1/48 Harrier extreme to another this week.

From BlackMike Models

At one end of the scale and local drop-off by Duncan  . . . . .  the recent late 2020 1/48 Kinetic K48060 Harrier GR.1/3 and K48072 AV-8A Harrier kits

Via eBay

At the other end of the scale . . . . . . 1/48 Hobbycraft HC1572  Harrier GR.1 kit which will benefit from some of the many unused parts/decals from the Kinetic kits   (typical 1980s Hobbycraft lookalike of someone else's product in this case the Tamiya kit with same parts breakdown albeit with softer detail on a different sprue arrangement , box-art oddly shows an LRMTS nose although never part of the Tamiya kit and unsurprisingly parts not provided , includes AV-8A decals but lacks spine aerial)

• Like 2

A new Nitecore Digicharger D2 battery charger as the previous one ( purchased in 2016 ) had developed a fault on one of the two charging slots and could only charge a single battery at a time. Also bought an Olight UC Universal Battery charger thats powered by USB and has two magnetic connectors on the device that will charge a single Lithium-ion or Ni-Mh battery.

50961002558_ea9f7e76cb_o.jpg

Couple of cold war era US Navy jets that have been on my list... I wen't bit crazy :D But they were available at a very nice price and pretty much all that I was looking for. Some of the Sword kits that are not made anymore are quite expensive on Ebay so I was lucky to find a good deal on them I think :) Couple of USAF planes sneaked in also :P 

• Like 9

Apparently, if the emails from HLJ are correct, I've just bought a Finemolds F-4EJ kai in the 8th Squadron Ocean Camo scheme. Not sure how that happened, I already have a Hasegawa one in stock. :unsure: Its likely I'll buy one of their RF-4EJs by mistake too. Why not, I've got a Hasegawa one of them as well. I hope like hell that they don't get into the RF-4Es, I've got most of them as well. :) :D

Steve.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

Just put in the order for Hasegawa's 1:350 scale Yahagi plus two of their three photo-etch sets for the kit. There's also the third kit, which has a lot more detail plus turned barrels, but it's kinda expensive at around 50€, so I see if I can do without it.

spacer.png

Pretty hyped, only built a single destroyer in 1:350 before, and that was a very simple kit with low detail and no PE.

• Like 1

Airfix 1/72 RAF Buccaneer - arrived yesterday.

Can now finally build one with the airbrakes open - I've wrecked 3 of the old tooling kits in the past trying to do this!!

• Like 3

1:32 Revell Eurocopter EC145 plus Renaissance model's photoetch detail set. I'm also getting some decals done for the Wales air ambulance too. 

1:72 CMR hawker typhoon which I'm thinking about doing a diorama of Baron Selys Longchamps's assault on the Brussels Gestapo HQ 

Coming back to modelling after a hiatus. I'm so tempted to go nuts on kits but I've already got so many to make!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Just got a box full of assorted model bits, kindly donated by @badger Looks like hours of fun for my Sci Fi scratchbuilds. What a star!

Absolutely no problem. I wouldnt use them and will have far more fun seeing what you do with them.

All the best

Ben

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Question: does anyone else have stuff delivered to work so as to avoid that conversation with SWMBO🤣 

Nice bit of Italian (although the Phantom is Japanese in disguise).

spacer.png

• Like 5

1 hour ago, TonyOD said:

Question: does anyone else have stuff delivered to work so as to avoid that conversation with SWMBO🤣 

Nice bit of Italian (although the Phantom is Japanese in disguise).

spacer.png

I'm retired, so delivery at work is not an option.  Some Ebay sellers click and collect option, however, is a wonderful thing  :)

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, 593jones said:

Some Ebay sellers click and collect option, however, is a wonderful thing  :)

Used to think so but now what I get even if only going out to pay the newsagent or post a letter which would normally have covered 'Click & Collect' sorties is "think I will just come with you , been stuck in here for days and could do with a change of scenery" so now just let it all get delivered to the house and take the chance that I might intercept postie/courier before they reach the doorbell.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 2/20/2021 at 12:15 AM, reini said:

Couple of cold war era US Navy jets that have been on my list... I wen't bit crazy :D But they were available at a very nice price and pretty much all that I was looking for. Some of the Sword kits that are not made anymore are quite expensive on Ebay so I was lucky to find a good deal on them I think :) Couple of USAF planes sneaked in also :P 

Oh, to have a 1/48 F11F other than Lindberg or FM... :wub:

• Like 2

9 hours ago, TonyOD said:

Question: does anyone else have stuff delivered to work so as to avoid that conversation with SWMBO?

Delivered to work, yes. No SWMBO to have 'that' discussion with. More convenient than having stuff all over the place or left unsecure.

Recent purchase of £200 on books could have been disasterous with the recent weather we've had.

• Like 3

Just built myself a clone of the long out of production Ross Phaser (a guitar pedal) on stripboard. Worked like a charm first time, I'm pleased to say! It's very nice, but I couldn't help playing around with the circuit. I put a "vibe" switch on there (if you kill the dry signal, you get a vibrato effect) but found the fastest sweep speed wasn't fast enough. That led me to putting the LFO timing capacitor on a switch so I can select slow and fast sweep speeds. So far, so good.

I then felt that the effect was too pronounced at faster speeds on both phaser and vibrato settings, so I nicked an idea off the first iteration of Electro Harmonix's Small Stone phaser where a capacitor is inserted across the LFO output and ground. This has the effect of reducing the hypertriangularity (what a great word!) of the LFO at faster speeds. To explain what hypertriangularity is, imagine a triangle waveform where the bottom half of the waveform resembles a sine wave. The resulting sound of this is a pronounced "throb" when the phasing speed is turned up. Anyway, the capacitor did smooth out that throb somewhat, leaving the slower sweep unaffected, but not really enough to be useful. I then started playing around with the voltage divider network on the output of the LFO and found that swapping one of the resistors for a lower value created a nice, smooth triangle wave with no throbbing sounds at faster sweep speeds. I think I'll put this resistor on a switch so I can select either stock or modified waveforms.

Next I'm going to try making the sweep range adjustable and put a volume control on it, as some settings can result in either a volume decrease or increase. Being able to bring it back to unity gain will be useful, I think. That's phaser number 22!

152712003_3779977025457129_4036188189745

The circuit board before the wiring was added and modifications done.

I got carried away doing the testing and therefore didn't get any modelling done tonight.

• Like 3

Just missed out on a bargain on amazon, few days the trumpeter su24m has been a very tempting 28 something, but couldn’t decided whether to use my Xmas amazon voucher or not on it and of course now gone up to £38, have though won an Airfix gnat on eBay and may also add an F-15e to that later edit: didn't up my bid and lost out

Edited by PhantomBigStu

A Smer (ex-Pantera) 1/72 Su-22M4 off eBay. I know it's not the best kit in the world, but it was less than eight quid posted and it'll do for me. And a pair of nozzles for my beloved Aztek airbrushes for a reasonable price. They rarely come up these days, and I'm trying to get a bit of a reserve stash going on, in case they never go back into production.

Also hayfever. With a vengeance. I can barely see today and it feels like I've been punched in both eyes.

• Sad 2

@Beard a J-bass with blocks'n'binding. What's not to like? There's quite a few knobs on there. Am I right in thinking volume and tone for each pickup? My J-bass has two volumes and a master tone.

I'm a guitarist who ended up playing bass too. When I first started coming up with my own tunes none of my bass playing friends could play in the way I thought the songs needed, so I thought I'd do it myself. I mean, how hard can it be, right? Turns out there's a lot more to it than I realised at the time and I'm still learning, 35 years later!

• Like 2