What's your latest acquisition Part V ?

Duncan B

40 minutes ago, Whofan said:

I don't do streaming or downloads, mainly because I object to the way they cheat the artistes over royalties, and also because I like to have the physical thing to read notes, lyrics, etc.

Same as you - don't agree with the streaming of music. Would much rather have the actual CD - I still rip the cd to the computer to be played in the car etc (both cars have USB slots to allow digital music players to be inserted and played through the car audio system!) A lot better than lugging dozens of CD's around for the long journeys we used to do down to Plymouth or up North to see family.

Once ripped, still keep the CD (very grey area re copyright if you don't) as I have an incident where the back up hard drive failed so had to re do all my CD's. At that time it was something like 150 CD's of my own. That was before I was married. Now with the wife's added to the collection, it's something like 3 or 4 hundred and still growing.

• Like 1

A Huma Go 145, no idea why really other than once I'd googled it I just kind of had to. :( From the local auction site & not even especially cheap  :shrug:, plus a DPCasper decals sheet for the Ogaden war between Ethiopia & Somalia (DPC72029, from Aviationmegastore), some tasty subjects & a Africa GB coming up soonish. All 1/72.

Steve.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

Scalemates tells me that it was in 1978 that Matchbox released their 1/32 Tiger Moth. I lusted after that kit dreadfully but it was way out of my modelling budget's league at the time. I can still remember the delight I felt when my brother presented me with the kit for my birthday the following January.

Well my birthday is coming up again and guess what? ICM have just released a 1/32 Tiger Moth! When I noticed that @Duncan B at Black Mike Models had it in stock, how could I resist? With the usual Black Mike service, the kit was ordered on Thursday afternoon and was in my hands by Saturday morning, especially impressive since I imagine it involved Duncan or one of his minions wading through 6ft snowdrifts to get to the post office. **Even better, it arrived while the other half was out thus avoiding one of those conversations about just how many unbuilt kits a modeller needs to surround themselves with

No wading through snow required as it seems to have completely missed us so far. Glad it arrived safely.

**It was planned that way, all part of the service LOL

Duncan B

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Bit of light reading material.

xeTjHu6.jpg

Been after The Unsinkable Aircraft Carrier for a while now and then saw a 2015 reprint of the 1986 edition for a decant price. Will make a nice companion to Duncan Campbell's War Plan UK that I have.

As regards the Invasion 1984 - nothing but pure nostalgia as I vaguely remembered it from Battle Comic when I was a nipper! :winkgrin:

Regards,

Steve

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Vince1159 said:

I might have a look for the Invasion 1984,i've still got some of my Battle and Warlord annual's....

Morning Vince,

Got mine off Amazon 😉

Regards,

Steve

• Thanks 1

Into the letter box this morning popped a sheet of Lifelike P-51 Mustang decals which has markings for a China based P-51C Miss Jeanie III from Karaya.pl. As stuff does just now, it took a while to arrive but arrive it did. :)

Steve.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mick4350 said:

A ticket to see Raiders of the Lost Ark at the cinema this coming weekend.

Hopefully it won't be cut like the recent showing on British TV! 

Regards,

Steve

It isn't an quite an acquisition at the time of writing but I've discovered another source of very well priced Heller kits and my index finger is hovering dangerously over the mouse.

spacer.png

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, fatfingers said:

Hopefully it won't be cut like the recent showing on British TV! 

Regards,

Steve

What was missing ? Not the melting face scene.

39 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

It was. I saw it. I was like whaaaat?!

You know I looked it up and there seems to be quite a few others who complained about the scenes absence. It was a M rated movie being shown in a PG timeslot. I've seen that cut on Australian TV before and it spoils the enjoyment in watching the movie by omitting key scenes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TonyOD said:

It was. I saw it. I was like whaaaat?!

I first saw Raiders on Betamax (remember that???) when i was about 9. We watched it at school on the last day before the summer hols. We all thought it was brilliant when the faces melted and i don't recall having nightmares about it either! Mind you this was before Mary Whithouse and her 'video nasty' campaign! At the time video's were not classified in the UK by the BBFC and we used to get all sorts from the local Video rental shop on a Saturday. Was usualy something like Dawn Of The Dead or American Werewolf for us kids and a Clint Eastwood for dad! 😀

Regards,

Steve

• Like 3

1 hour ago, fatfingers said:

Was usualy something like Dawn Of The Dead or American Werewolf for us kids and a Clint Eastwood for dad! 😀

Both brilliant movies. Saw Dawn of the Dead when it was released on video when it were released in its fully uncut form. The Zack Snyder version was a complete waste and nothing like the original and when I saw this version at the cinema, I thought that was a waste of money. American Werewolf was utter bliss. I saw it on telly twenty years ago and the coppers head scene was cut, but SBS showed last year in its full glory. Clint Eastwood, Right turn Clyde !

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Mick4350 said:

American Werewolf was utter bliss.

It really is. I saw it recently and I'd forgotten how funny it is, and the special effects were groundbreaking. And Jenny Agutter, Well, ya know.

When I was in the sixth form me and my mates used to take the train to Giggleswick in the Yorkshire Dales to go hillwalking, and we'd finish up in the Craven Arms next to the train station. We called it the Slaughtered Lamb because that was exactly the kind of reception we used to get! (Sadly they built a new bypass right past it a few years later, and now it's just another plastipub...)

• Haha 2

On 23/01/2021 at 6:38 PM, Whofan said:

Good to see I'm in good company.

My wife keeps on at me to get rid of all the CD's (2,500+) and stick to the ipod.

When I tell her I keep the CD's for security  I get the eye roll.

I'd rather the eye roll than lose the music!

With you all the way on keeping CDs. With older stuff often cheaper on CD than a download. I bought the an Evelyn Glennie CD of  'Rhythm Song' for less than the cost of downloading the two tracks I really wanted it for. Even the small amount of stuff I don't have on CD is saved as multiple copies as well as rips 

Edited by Mr T
  • Like 1

Bought 20 0.3mm drill bits of Amazon for what I thought was a good price. They arrived late morning and look OK. They look a bit more substantial than the ones I usually get, so fingers crossed. 

When they were delivered. I had to confirm I was over 18, presumably on the grounds they are sharp objects and might not be safe for under 18's. Delivery guy made my day when on checking my date of birth that he hoped he looked as young as I do. 67 in two weeks time and don't look a day over 75 (Mrs T said he was just saying that to keep the customer happy, she is great one for the dose of reality). 

Re Jenny Agutter, yes well enough said. 

• Haha 2

Well, I know what my next acquisition will be: a new printer. Our HP 6830 has developed a fault where the cyan prints intermittently and I’m pretty sure the fault is electronic rather than ink flow, looking at the test print pages.

Anyway, after the spending the evening trying to find some meaningful reviews and information, I have lost the will to live. I seem to remember this happening last time I had to look for a printer.

Please feel free to chip in if you have any good info. Otherwise, a shedload of Valium to take the edge off would be nice. It may not help me make a decision, but at least I won’t care!

57 minutes ago, lasermonkey said:

Well, I know what my next acquisition will be: a new printer. Our HP 6830 has developed a fault where the cyan prints intermittently and I’m pretty sure the fault is electronic rather than ink flow, looking at the test print pages.

Anyway, after the spending the evening trying to find some meaningful reviews and information, I have lost the will to live. I seem to remember this happening last time I had to look for a printer.

Please feel free to chip in if you have any good info. Otherwise, a shedload of Valium to take the edge off would be nice. It may not help me make a decision, but at least I won’t care!

When it comes to printers I have specific needs: ethernet enabled, sperate inks (not black and combined colour, but black and cyan, magenta and yellow inks), wi-fi connectivity. The stumbling block is usually the ethernet connection surprisingly. I have ethernet cabling and ports hard wired into the house, so it's easier to have a printer connected via that instead of wi-fi. No signal loss, and all via the router, along with the NAS drive, gaming PC, smart TV, sky box & media PC. All running with 500MB fibre broadband.😁. Don't get any slow downs!

Going back to the printers though, I've found the Epson WF series to be fairly reliable. Only downside (and for all printers)  is cost of ink! 

Edited by treker_ed
  • Like 1