What's your latest acquisition Part V ?

Duncan B

This:

It arrive yesterday, eventually,  around 4:30 to 4:45pm and getting dark. So no light for it to be erected. Very late because thr truck bringing it to me broke down on the way and the crew had to wait for another and then transfer the load from one to the other!!

EYRU81.jpg

Now have to wait until next Wednesday before it can be put up.   Only been waiting since August 1st  2020.!!!

• Like 5

On 04/01/2021 at 18:55, lasermonkey said:

A few NOS germanium transistors to make fuzz pedals with.

Sorry LM, I'm late to the party on this.  What sort of fuzz pedals are you going for?  I've made a couple of FuzzDog kits over the last few months - I just wish I could play them with my band!

53 minutes ago, jackroadkill said:

Sorry LM, I'm late to the party on this.  What sort of fuzz pedals are you going for?  I've made a couple of FuzzDog kits over the last few months - I just wish I could play them with my band!

I'm not sure just yet. I have something like 135 pedals knocking about, most of which I have built myself from scratch. Thinking further, I might finish off the Buzzaround circuit I started years ago. I have built a few for customers, but never managed to do one for myself. It's one of my favourite fuzzes, though my favourite of all is the Monolith Oracle. It's a fuzz face derivative coupled with a modified Big Muff style tonestack and uses ridiculously high gain germanium trannies. It's pure stoner/ doom for days!

8 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

I'm not sure just yet. I have something like 135 pedals knocking about, most of which I have built myself from scratch. Thinking further, I might finish off the Buzzaround circuit I started years ago. I have built a few for customers, but never managed to do one for myself. It's one of my favourite fuzzes, though my favourite of all is the Monolith Oracle. It's a fuzz face derivative coupled with a modified Big Muff style tonestack and uses ridiculously high gain germanium trannies. It's pure stoner/ doom for days!

That's quite a collection!  I ran into some financial difficulties following redundancy as a result of the 2008 financial crash and had to sell my collection of vintage and rare pedals.  I had some real gems (including a first-batch Boss CE-1 which are going for between £600 and £700 now) but I sold pretty much all of them, and about half of my vintage Fender amps.  Not what I wanted to do but I didn't fancy the alternative!

I'll have to check out the Monolith Oracle; it sounds like good fun, and monstrous fuzzed-up downtuned stoner rumbling is my absolute favourite.  I've a hankering for a Zander Circuitry American Geek at the moment, too.  I may also build another of the first FuzzDog pedal kits I built, the Sunny T Extreme which has so many killer sounds in it that one just isn't enough. 

A couple of good days. Yesterday a Special Hobby P-40E & Azure PZL P-11C First Shots, both from SHs pre Christmas 12 days of Christmas sale, 3 weeks to arrive & today,a Revell 1/72 type 100 S-Boat kit, the non Flakvierling one, from the local auction site but UK seller, 6 weeks to arrive but that included 2 weeks to post, I guess they were busy before Christmas.  :( , even more remarkably it arrived in good nick despite having the open ended Revell box wrapped in black cling film taped up. :( Almost forgot the decals from Mr Airfix on ebay. Better than Christmas. :)Best of all, a certain other household member was out when both lots arrived. :D

Steve.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

A Lancaster Bii going for just £24 on Amazon.  A decent price I thought. And an Airfix Tiger Moth in 1/48. 

The Tiger Moth smuggled in under the radar, the Lancaster well and truly busted!

James

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Beginning of the week, the new Berna Decals for standard Adl'A Fouga Magisters in 1/48th, I've been waiting for these to come along for a mighty long time. 

Then yesterday, Lela Press' latest aircraft profile on the Magister, almost 500 pages, full of photos by user unit, a section on all of the foreign users (including Gabon @RidgeRunner, with some Jacques Borne photos) , a chapter of the marinised version the Zephyr and a good section with some technical stuff in it, OK, the text is in French but that's not insurmountable in this day and age!

Here they are together...

Fouga Book and Decals

...it means at last, I can make my Avant Garde Magister, probably for the Unarmed GB

• Like 6

3 hours ago, airfixpeter said:

Just got to find the rest of the aircraft 

Buried in a field in Germany. Ever listened to Captain Lockheed and the Starfighters?  "That's F-104G, Minister, G for Germany"

Lovely looking Aircraft though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahPDs36n2Mw&list=PLWfGw2maX1M6P7xh930Kp1wpvvTPKD-yf

• Haha 2

A PCB (printed circuit board) for a Boss CS-2 Compressor Sustainer pedal clone. I had an actual CS-2 back in the day (probably bought it in 1984) and really liked it, though I ended up part-exing it for a Boss BE-5b multi-fx unit for my Mrs, who was playing bass at the time and wanted a simpler setup than several individual pedals. Although I have several compressor pedals, I remember the CS-2 as being nicer, or at least different to the ones I have.

I still need to finish off the pedal circuit based on the SSL mixbus compressor. I built myself a rackmounted one years ago and that sounds great, but a pedal one would be nice.

• Like 2

I managed to get my hands on one of these:

IMG_5649

For $10.00. That's 10 US dollars. Sometimes the piper pays you I guess...    :)

Cheers,

Bill

PS. Now I just need the new Caracal decal sheet with the nose art birds from Upper Heyford.

• Like 11

19 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

I managed to get my hands on one of these:

IMG_5649

For $10.00. That's 10 US dollars. Sometimes the piper pays you I guess...    :)

Cheers,

Bill

PS. Now I just need the new Caracal decal sheet with the nose art birds from Upper Heyford.

$10.00! Nice catch. How did you manage that?

That box art Bicentennial scheme looks nice, I have one in the stash which I would like to do sooner rather than later :)   

1 hour ago, Billy54 said:

$10.00! Nice catch. How did you manage that?

I sent an email to the members of my local modelling club asking if anyone had a 1:72 F-111E or F that they were willing to sell. (I was actually looking for the old AMT/ERTL F-111F). Ken, the President of our club was crew chief on an F-111D back in the day (the very same aircraft that is now at the USAF Museum), and he responded right away offering this kit. I asked him how much he wanted, and he asked me what I wanted to pay. I suggested $40, and he said no but he'd take $10. I tried to talk him "up" but no luck. So I reluctantly paid the $10.   :)

Apparently, his stash has several F-111 kits and he advised me that he will never be able to build them all. Kind of like me with my stash - at my rate of finishing three kits per year, it will take me until 2081 to finish them all. I'll be 126 years old. Assuming that I don't buy any more...oops, just ordered another three. Make that 2082.   👴

Cheers,

Bill

PS. Ken is currently scanning all of his F-111 slides he took whilst in the USAF. Hundreds of photos, including what's behind every access panel. He will give me copies when he's finished so I can add them to the Britmodeller walkaround section. Stay tuned.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

I sent an email to the members of my local modelling club asking if anyone had a 1:72 F-111E or F that they were willing to sell. (I was actually looking for the old AMT/ERTL F-111F). Ken, the President of our club was crew chief on an F-111D back in the day (the very same aircraft that is now at the USAF Museum), and he responded right away offering this kit. I asked him how much he wanted, and he asked me what I wanted to pay. I suggested $40, and he said no but he'd take $10. I tried to talk him "up" but no luck. So I reluctantly paid the $10.   :)

Apparently, his stash has several F-111 kits and he advised me that he will never be able to build them all. Kind of like me with my stash - at my rate of finishing three kits per year, it will take me until 2081 to finish them all. I'll be 126 years old. Assuming that I don't buy any more...oops, just ordered another three. Make that 2082.   👴

Cheers,

Bill

PS. Ken is currently scanning all of his F-111 slides he took whilst in the USAF. Hundreds of photos, including what's behind every access panel. He will give me copies when he's finished so I can add them to the Britmodeller walkaround section. Stay tuned.

Cool story and this Ken sounds like a very nice person. I am looking forward to seeing his images.

btw you are not alone with a stash that you will likely will never build. :) 

• Like 1

A USB Head Torch.

I use one when I go running on these dark, dark, cold mornings, it has four settings, one bright enough to blind a badger at 2000 paces, the next will dazzle an oncoming cyclist whilst the next is good for highlighting puddles and dog poo at up to 25m, then there's a motion sensitive setting.  I found that when using the brightest setting to look for dropped model parts, the carpet monster gives them up without a fight!  To save me traipsing up from the basement to where the torch is normally kept I thought I'd buy one for the basement, hopefully that should reduce my dropped parts recovery time to a minimum.

• Like 5

Just arrived from the Land of The Rising Sun:

Capture

And:

Capture2

And a little something I'm going to attempt to use to spruce up the old Fujimi FG.1 A&AEE XT597 kit:

Capture3

It's made for the Airfix kit, but I'll get my hammer out and make it fit the Fujimi. I've done stranger things.   :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 8