What's your latest acquisition Part V ?

Duncan B

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

The doc asked me if I’d done any shooting, and when I told him the story he said they were coming across quite a few people in my age range with the same problem caused by the same thing.

That's probably the cause of my tinnitus and Meniere's disease, (and possibly also the vertigo). The .303 had gone by the time I joined up ('64), but many times on the ranges, firing the SLR used to make my ears ring. That thing could really go BANG!!  

John....eh?

• Like 1

My planned stash reduction discipline has been sidetracked by the sad death of Chuck Yeager.

Of course Chuck was the first man to break the sound barrier in level flight, but he was also a consultant on Electronic Arts 1991 'Chuck Yeager's Air Combat' on which I (mis)spent many happy hours.

In his memory I've bought this:

50719368057_2b127df8b5_z.jpg

I had the unusual presence of mind to download the instructions so that I could also order the necessary paint - I don't do many orange models - but I hadn't expected this:

50719371662_161cbe8e63_z.jpg

Optional transparent fuselage halves so you can see the innards!

Having suggested to hendie that he do 'wavy edged transparent bits' for his Pullman it seems only right that I try that on this, probably on just one side.

Childishly excited!

• Like 10

Of course I wanted to support those nice chaps at eModels so I also bought this:

50719380062_4f9e497253_z.jpg

The A-10 is one of my favourite aircraft, so much so that I had built a model of one years before I got back into the hobby and BM. The old kit has been languishing at the back of my cabinet, badly damaged in a move:

50719386062_b1a6f07174_z.jpg

I can't remember what kit that was but it would seem my memory has fooled me into thinking that the model was A LOT smaller:

50718564453_b35ce73a91_z.jpg

Um.

Perhaps Academy packed the wrong kit?

Or perhaps my memory's going.

Who knows…

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

The .303 Lee Enfield is quite popular here in France, with some of them being adapted to other calibres. I lost my enthusiasm for the .303 after firing them on semi-enclosed 25yd RAF ranges without ear defenders as an Air Cadet and in the RAF. I have a slight hearing loss in my right ear picked up on one of my annual medical s when I was about 50. The doc asked me if I’d done any shooting, and when I told him the story he said they were coming across quite a few people in my age range with the same problem caused by the same thing.

John

PS my weapon of choice for long range these days is a 30-30 Winchester fired ( with ear defenders ) in an enclosed ex-french army range.

On joining the Irish army reserve in 1979. They were still using the Lee Enfield No. 4. No earplugs either. So you ended a day on the range with ringing ears and a bruised shoulder until you learned to tuck that butt in tight. That was my first rifle but we usually used the FN Fal. Normally that caused the left ear to ring because you got the benefit of the crack from the ejection slot from the lad beside you. Strangely my hearing remains good despite years in noisy aeroplanes and shooting. 

We too used a 25 yard range but with old SMLEs sleeved down to .22LR. Much quieter and accurate too. One I used was dated 1918.

One day I'll get a Lee Enfield live or deactivated. Sadly most of ours were dumped in the Irish Sea but all the unused wrapped rifles were sold to Canada. 

Edited by noelh
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

That's probably the cause of my tinnitus and Meniere's disease, (and possibly also the vertigo). The .303 had gone by the time I joined up ('64), but many times on the ranges, firing the SLR used to make my ears ring. That thing could really go BANG!! 

Loved firing the SLR, such an easy weapon to use. My first useage was in the first year of Army Cadets in High School at the age of 15 years, until the Government abolished the Australian cadets at the end of 1975. I was in grade eight at the time and we only got to handle the schools .303 Lee enfields just once at the beginning of the year, as the army attended the school only a couple of months into first term and removed the cadet units 80 or so rifles from the schools Q-store, never, ever to be returned. But after two years the cadets were reformed in a smaller and much less funded unit from grade 10, alas with no .303's returned to the schools smaller cadet unit. We did get to fire the SLRs again during the reformation on a couple of times.

I did join the Army reserve after school and joined up with 25th Battalion Royal Queensland Regiment and had a fair amount of drill with the SLR, along with other weapons such as the M-60 machine gun, F-1 sub machine gun and the M-28 grenade launcher. On a weekend camp at Greenbank Army Reserve in Brisbane, the night exercise where the battalion fired on the range at night was interesting, as fifteen were lined up to shoot at the targets and hearing all 15 shooting rifles at the same time when the butts were lit up for a fraction of the second was quite deafening with just a single boom when all of the rifles fired almost in unison. Out of the ten rounds shot at the targets I think I hit the target once.

• Like 1

Big boxed additions. 

Been on the lookout for a SuperE for some time, but either they are horribly expensive (bay) or out of stock (LHS).

So to my surprise, I ran into a storeroom clear-out with the 4-in-1, getting two Mirages and an Ouragan in the deal.

And a big floaty-thingy (:fight: )

Ok, it's the old 1/400 HMS Illustrious. Because there still isn't a recent one.

And I feel the Senior Service deserves a spot in the limelight at home, considering her service record.

(looks to be early war fit? so Taranto-suitable maybe?)

y4m4a0BA3XHBBQeCkOGHwUmhmuAyUPE6Zj5Ir9BX

Both around the 40€ mark.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

. I lost my enthusiasm for the .303 after firing them on semi-enclosed 25yd RAF ranges without ear defenders as an Air Cadet and in the RAF. I have a slight hearing loss in my right ear picked up on one of my annual medical s when I was about 50. The doc asked me if I’d done any shooting, and when I told him the story he said they were coming across quite a few people in my age range with the same problem caused by the same thing.

Sounds a familiar story, part of the reason the kids think I'm a deaf old bugger. :D Anything half way decent in .303 seems to have a following out here. I'll still have several after I move this one on.

Steve.

These arrived today, either a late B'day pressie or an early Xmas pressie, I haven't decided which yet!

IMG_8076_HEIC-L.jpg

IMG_8077_HEIC-L.jpg

IMG_8074_HEIC-L.jpg

The Su-27UB will hopefully be built as a Ukrainian example with digital camo, I had a Hobby Boss kit lined up for that but when I saw the GWH one it had to step aside.

The book will hopefully help with my in ability to successfully paint modern grey aircraft, we'll see.

Duncan B

• Like 7

Stash recycling time ... as in me buying what someone else was disposing of via my local hobby shop:

IMG_20201214_185153_dr_025.jpg

The two bagged kits on the top right are the Frog Vampire:

134905-11185-pristine.jpg

... and the the Novo (ex-Frog of course) Comet Dh 88, which looks a good deal better than the Airfix kit:

159696-11185-pristine.jpg

The Supermarine Attacker is a really crude kit, but hey, it was cheap. Actually, the kits were not individually priced, I just bought all 10 as a job-lot for a very good price. Having a second Italeri Go 242/44 kit now means I can build one of each version. The Bf 108 replaces the kit I'm currently building in the stash, and a second Bloch 174 is good to have. The Airfix Phantom is the original release of the kit, and I was amazed it could be squeezed into such a small box. It might make for an interesting project sometime, maybe even for the GB next year.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, CedB said:

My planned stash reduction discipline has been sidetracked by the sad death of Chuck Yeager.

Of course Chuck was the first man to break the sound barrier in level flight, but he was also a consultant on Electronic Arts 1991 'Chuck Yeager's Air Combat' on which I (mis)spent many happy hours.

In his memory I've bought this:

50719368057_2b127df8b5_z.jpg

I had the unusual presence of mind to download the instructions so that I could also order the necessary paint - I don't do many orange models - but I hadn't expected this:

50719371662_161cbe8e63_z.jpg

Optional transparent fuselage halves so you can see the innards!

Having suggested to hendie that he do 'wavy edged transparent bits' for his Pullman it seems only right that I try that on this, probably on just one side.

Childishly excited!

I have had this in my stash for some time, but the precise shade of orange for "Glamorous Glennis" held me back. But I've now mixed my own tin of "International Orange" (about 6:1 orange:red), and that should do.

• Like 2

My local art shop in South London had run out of DAS modelling clay - my daughter wants to make Christmas presents. The Hobbies warehouse (which I have online ordered from on more than one occasion) is about half a mile from me, so I dropped in on the off-chance. Lo and behold, they have a shop inside the warehouse, and while waiting for the gentleman to get my DAS I had a look around and found these on an old fashioned bagged kit rotating rack:

https://www.hobbies.co.uk/model-railway/buildings-and-figures/kitmaster-railway-workmen-kit

https://www.hobbies.co.uk/model-railway/buildings-and-figures/kitmaster-station-accessories-kit

https://www.hobbies.co.uk/model-railway/buildings-and-figures/kitmaster-platform-figures-kit

There are two or three duplicate sprues of figures in each bag, so about 20p per figure, and they are nicely scaled for 1/72.

I have been looking for nicely moulded assorted figures in hard plastic for a while now and I've given up on acquiring another Revell RAF personnel set. Preiser figures are astronomically expensive and HO, and the 1/72-1/75 generic architectural figures ! bought off Ebay were disappointing (although the 1/100 ones for my Mi-4 were great), so these hit the spot!

I have distributed them to my children so that they can give me a "surprise" Christmas present.

I've still got a big stupid grin on my face a couple of hours later!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 6

A Azure Renard R-31 from Special Hobby. After seeing @Heather Kay's build of one of these & having a predilection for Belgian subjects, I've been plotting this for a while now. SH are good to deal with, they use NL post which is cheap & fast, nor do they charge me VAT or GST. Works for me. :)

Steve.

• Like 5

Past week or so, heller mirage iv, couple of xtracrylix paints for a build that now won’t be worked on for at least a month, an airfix mustang, last Xmas presents for family and then today just paid for some spare transparencies from hornby for my airfix Shackleton build, could be long time before I get back to it but at least I’ll have the parts 

• Like 1

Just placed my final Colourcoats order of the year, which includes some of the new colours (RAF Roundel Blue and the equivalent US Dark Earth and Dark Green, amongst others.)

I think my next batch will include all the post-war Soviet colours.

Cheers,

Mark.

Oh, and it looks like the holiday we'd booked for Christmas back in the summer is most likely going to have to be cancelled because idiots in Bedfordshire can't keep to simple rules. Nice one.

Edited by lasermonkey
  • Like 4

Just "gathering" kit's for a change of pace into the new year,I want to cut down on the numbers so upping the scale.I had Revell's 1/32

FW 190 F-8 arrive last week via the LMS and Trumpeter's Me 109F and Spitfire Vb trop(started),the youngest got me Revell's ancient

1/28 Fokker triplane and I've stocked up on red paint.Possibly last buy of the year was a tenner punt on e-bay of Revell's 1/48 Ventura 

with the Canadian coastal command scheme inside which looks great.

• Like 2

Am waiting for a few things but the postal and courier delays elsewhere in the country seem to have eventually extended this far north so nothing delivered this week although in what I hope will be the third and final major car expense in a month I gave Police Mutual the cost of three and a half full RRP 1/32 Italeri Tornado GR.4 kits to renew my Motor Insurance and Breakdown Cover.     Blue Badge renewal fee still due to Angus Council but so far only six weeks into the potential twelve week time span for that but that will only be the equivalent cost of a brace of Lidl bargain priced Revell Easy-Click kits or four Lidl/Aldi Airfix Starter Sets (new UK Currency Exchange rates from January 1st. 2021))

• Haha 2

An early Crimbo pressy of a box of bits arrived today coutesy of @Back in the Saddle Top bloke!

1/24th Harrier rocket pods and a whole slew of other stuff that hangs on pylons.

Some of these will get passed on to other Britmodellers if they appear in the wanted thread.

All great stuff for my Sci fi scratchbuilds. I'm happy, and I bet I just get socks on Friday!

• Haha 3

A Wings & Wheels Publications book, SA-8 Gecko, Russian Amphibious AA System 9K33 OSA, G061. ISBN 9788087509739.

Courtesy of book seller Ronnels Hobbies based in Capalaba, Queensland.

Edited by Mick4350