What's your latest acquisition Part V ?

Duncan B

A batch of stuff caught up with me this week

Via eBay

Two sets of 1/48 resin Wolfpack Design WP48075 LAU-138/A  BOL Launchers

From Books etc.

Famous Russian Aircraft – MiG-31 by Yefim Gordon and published by Crecy , latest weighty 320 page tome in the series and was bought on a pre-release offer of £24.08 (now £31.64 compared to £44.95 RRP) , enquired with Crecy about the possibility of MiG-21 and Su-7/17/20/22 reprints from the same series and they confirmed that they are considering reprinting some more of the series but no word yet on which

Hobby related items among wedding anniversary presents

Helping Hands , Third Hand Soldering Stand although will be used for other modelling tasks – metal base with six flexible arms and optional plug-in alligator clips ,  magnifying glass , LED torch , mini cooling fan

TOOLZONE Scribing Tool

UStar  Panel Engraving Stencil

Amazon Vouchers used to buy Les Forces Aériennes Stratégiques- 50 ans d'alerte nucléaire (Strategic Air Forces - 50 Years of Nuclear Warning) by Frédéric Lert and Alex Paringaux published by Zephyr , another of a rather expensive but exceedingly well illustrated French Language series

£50 in Hannants Vouchers which arrived after I ordered the following , just have to spend them on something else !!!!

From Hannants

Mainly a trawl through their end-of-line offers with a pair of main catalogue items at the end and all (except the Whitley book and Modeldecals - completism in both cases) for potential future projects using kits already in the stash

Model Alliance MA48-130 1/48 RAF and RN Twin-Stick Trainers decals

Model Alliance MA48-188 1/48 RAF Germany 1970-75 Part 3 decals

Modeldecal 91 1/72 EF-111A & Hawk T.1 decals

AIMS 48D005 1/48 Ju 88 Fuel Cells and Hatches decals

LDecals 48009 1/48 OKB Sukhoi In The World Su-22/25 decals

Superscale SS48S3 1/48 S-3 Viking Engine Intake Warning in black/red/grey decals

Warpaint 21 Armstrong-Whitworth Whitley by Ken Wixey and published by Guideline

Aires Aerobonus 48-0034 1/48 Hydra 70 Twin Rocket Launchers

Xtradecal X72291 1/72 Jet Provost T.3/4/51/52 decals for those Aldi offer kits bought recently

From Guideline Publications

Some more Warpaints in lieu – 7 Junkers Ju 88 , 9 Grumman Wildcat , 29 Hawker Sea Hawk , 44 De Havilland Venom , 53 Avro Anson , 85 Supermarine Scimitar

From MA Publications

The November issues of Model Aircraft and Scale Aviation Modelling International that were not available from newsagents

• Like 1

A Tiger killer - the new Airfix 1/72nd Sherman Firefly, I don't normally do clunky-clanky targets tanks so this is a bit of a departure for me but there's something about the Firefly that's always appealed to me, can't think what that might be?

Oh yeah, it's the bloody big gun in small tank that beats up Tiger tanks thing, that's what it is!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Barra and something civvie for the ANZAC GB maybe.

Also found a complete esci NF-5a (without decals) on the ev0lbai for cheaps.

That makes two so maybe the Almark 'Double Dutch' demo team decals can make it's appearance next year. 

y4mNUwgwNNu5gJIsRGAivCwZqNY5hWUcEKF0pYvH

• Like 6

From Scale Model Shop

Airfix (Academy) M4A3 76. Got some nice French markings lined up for it too.

Dspaei single blade nipper & drills.

Not allowed to have them until 25th for some reason and they've now been 'confiscated' until then 🥺

Regards,

Steve

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, fatfingers said:

From Scale Model Shop

Airfix (Academy) M4A3 76. Got some nice French markings lined up for it too.

Dspaei single blade nipper & drills.

Not allowed to have them until 25th for some reason and they've now been 'confiscated' until then 🥺

Regards,

Steve

Sounds like an ideal subject for the French Fancy 2 GB to me!

Three Special Hobby 1/72 SF260s. I only wanted one. Somehow I ended up with three. But I don't mind. You wait for ages for one and three arrive at once. 

Also an Airfix DH Heron, thanks to BM and an Airfix Scamell Tank Transporter. The latter sheer nostalgia because my friend Gérard got one and I couldn't afford it back in about 1972.

I'm getting sillier with age. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just bought three old Microscale sheets which contain 20", 24" and 30" RAF code letters in Medium Sea Grey and either Sky or SEAC pale blue. All in 1/72.

As someone whose main area of interest is the RAF in the Battle Of Britain, I'm always after MSG code letters. There's surprisingly few on offer. Apart from the old Modeldecal sheets (and their Xtradecal re-pops), all I'm aware of are the Microscale, Aeromaster, Techmod, Colorado/Carpena and going back to the time of the ark, HisAirDec. Only the Xtradecal ones are easy to get hold of these days and have a limited range of styles and sizes. Even with all those sheets, the range of styles and sizes is still inadequate for my task. I have discounted the Kits World ones,even though they do the much needed 28" letters, as they chose a completely wrong pale grey. I got into an argument with them over that!

The Microscale sheets were bought mainly to deal with the 64 Sqn Spitfire that got stalled during the BoB groupbuild, as none of the codes I had were suitable. Last night I ended up with the model and a pair of Vernier calipers, sitting in front of a screengrab of SH@S, trying to determine the letter sizes. I came away with 24" for the squadron code letters aft of the roundel and 18" ahead of the roundel. I'm going to have to cut up the 20" codes and reassemble, which is going to be fiddly!

I'd love someone to sift through all the images of BoB Spitfires and Hurricanes and do a sheet (or more) of just the code letters, artwork and non-standard roundels, as the decal manufacturers tend to go over the same subjects over and over. The one decal company that hasn't decided to forego The Gentleman's Scale, for which I still haven't forgiven them.

But I'm not bitter or anything........

Also, I recently got hold of a Hobby Boss Mi-8MT/Mi-17 kit to try to restore my mojo. I haven't built a helicopter in decades and know almost nothing about them. Going off the beaten track (for me, anyway) has made things a bit more enjoyable and even though I fully intended this to be a "don't worry about the details, just build the damn thing", I've spent nights poring over images on the internet trying to find photos of the subject. Naturally, this means some modifications and surgery, but it seems simple enough.

Oh, and there's still no sign of the B-17s I ordered from The Works and that should have been delivered on Saturday.

• Like 3

A replacement Master's brass pitot tube for my Martlet III that I dropped on the concrete floor and spent 10 mins searching for, even sweeping the floor.  Only to find it about 10 mins after ordering it's replacement.   Just like i knew would happen.............can't find something order a new one.  :doh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Italeri (ex-Platz) T-33:

1264793-12660-75-pristine.jpg

The decal sheet is something to behold, so much so that I ordered a second, although who knows if or when it will ever arrive, given the current shenanigans involving a certain country between Ireland and the European mainland. No names, no pack-drill.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, BlueNosers352nd said:

Only to find it about 10 mins after ordering it's replacement.   Just like i knew would happen.............can't find something order a new one.  :doh:

No big deal, just order an extra Martlett. Problem solved!

:coat:

• Haha 8

My Local Vauxhall Dealer

In the second vehicular hit of the month and with Motor Insurance/Recovery Cover  renewal still to come within days this week saw for the cost of two Italeri 1/32 Tornado GR.4 at full RRP  - Annual Service and first MOT for the family car , two new Front Tyres and a  Wheel Alignment

Via eBay

The Second World War In The Air In Photographs 1939 / 1940 / 1941 / 1943 / 1944 & 1945 all by L. Archard and all published by Amberley , had bought ‘ 1942’ a few weeks ago and decided to get the other years from various eBay traders as unusually Books etc. were not the cheapest source for these titles from that publisher

From Hannants

Using a £50 gift voucher received as an anniversary present I added another pair of twin-seaters to the stash

SMER 0858 1/48 Sukhoi Su-25UB/UBK

Fly 48016 1/48 BAC 167 Strikemaster / Jet Provost T.5/5A

From Amazon

Latest release in the series F-111 Illustrated by Lou Drendel and published by Amazon

Mirage 2000N - Tome 1 – Escadron de Chasse 2/4 La Fayette another in this French Language series with exceptional imagery by Alexandre Paringaux and text by Frédéric Lert , published  by Zephyr , first delivery had a split spine but replacement arrived within forty-eight hours

From Lidl

Couple of the Revell ‘Easy-Click’ System’ kits on weekly offer reduced from £23.99 RRP to £9.99

07820 1/24 Porsche Diesel Junior 108 Tractor to give as a pressie to a family member who worked in Devon for ten years and developed a fondness for ‘trattors’

05499 1/150 Pirates of the Caribbean Salazars Revenge Black Pearl Sailing Ship , never built a sailing ship before but this seems to have simplified the fiddly bits sufficiently to start with although probably will end up with a more traditional paint job rather than black on black with black highlights

A trip to Going Loco this morning for some brass rod and some adhesives also resulted in a new Airfix Sherman Firefly, getting worried by this desire to build things that stick to the ground. 

• Haha 2

1:1 scale piston liners, rings, bearing shells, tappets, timing gears/chain plus necessary gaskets and seals to rebuild a 1985 Skoda 130 (Estelle) engine, which will then be reunited with the rally car that it last lived in some time in the 90's.

IanJ

• Like 5

Has been a expensive month, after about four months of not buying

4 x Tamiya 1:12 Porsche 935 Martini

3 x Magnifier 1:12 Ford GT 40

2 x Rye Field Models Sturmtiger with interior

1 x Rye Field Models Tiger 1 with interior

2 x 1:48 Zvezda Mil Hind

2 x Revell Bucket Wheel Excavator

2 x Dragon Apollo 10 CSM+LM+Adaptor

2 x Dragon Apollo 17 CSM+LM+Rover

1 x Eduard Spitfire Story Dual Combo

2 x Bandai Death Star & Star Destroyer

2 x Airfix 1:48 Boulton & Paul Defiant

2 x IBG Scammell Tank Transporter

2 x Mini Art German Staff Bus

1 x Mini Art Triebflugel with boarding ladder

I made a big mistake with the Ford GT 40, I have another four on order from China, I spent ages searching for a UK supplier so initially ordered a couple on eBay from china, after which I got caught in the black friday hype with a good cashback deal so doubled my order to 4. Only to find a week later a UK supplier had stock at a good price, so ordered again as the China ones coule be arriving in March at latest, the cashback deal turned sour.

I am sure I am dealing with some compulsive buying which I need hold back

• Like 2

Burma, The Longest War, 1941-45 by Louis Allen & a Lee Enfield Long Tom 10 shot magazine for an old hunting rifle I have that was without one. The first to try & provide some overview to the Burma (CBI?) theatre, the latter, eventually to sell it on, but maybe to take it for a walk sometime too. Both from the local auction site.

Steve 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

A Long Tom, what calibre is it?

John

.303 John, the Long Tom was the predecessor to the Mk III No I aka SMLE. It was given to me sans a magazine with the promise the the barrel was stuffed. In fact the barrel cleaned up a treat with some anti fouling fluid left to soak for a few days. I'm sure it is a rebarrelled one with a heavy Lithgow (Australia) barrel though it is lacking the marks those generally have. I'm looking for to having a hunt with it, after I enhance the open sights a bit to give my aging eyes a chance. It'll be worth quite a few modelling tokens when I sell it. :) 

Steve.

• Like 2

The .303 Lee Enfield is quite popular here in France, with some of them being adapted to other calibres. I lost my enthusiasm for the .303 after firing them on semi-enclosed 25yd RAF ranges without ear defenders as an Air Cadet and in the RAF. I have a slight hearing loss in my right ear picked up on one of my annual medical s when I was about 50. The doc asked me if I’d done any shooting, and when I told him the story he said they were coming across quite a few people in my age range with the same problem caused by the same thing.

John

PS my weapon of choice for long range these days is a 30-30 Winchester fired ( with ear defenders ) in an enclosed ex-french army range.

• Like 3

On 12/12/2020 at 4:55 PM, jackroadkill said:

spacer.png

One of these arrived today.  This has got to stop.

So said Hugh Dowding circa 1940. You need more Spitfires to head off those e pesky huns. 😉

• Like 2