What's your latest acquisition Part V ?

Duncan B

A very expensive tin of Humbrol 54.

Well it wouldn't travel by itself, so I had to get some other paint tins to keep it company.

And some glue.

And a Dream Modrel AH-1Z to fly top cover in case the whole package was ambushed intransit....  :)

• Haha 6

Airfix 1/35 M3 Stuart "Honey"

Eduard etch, RB main gun barrel, Master 30 cal mg barrels, Valuegear resin tarps and tents set and Miniart British crew all for the above.

Birthday money well spent!!

• Like 6

One each Eduard 1/72 MiG-21PF and MiG-21PFM overtrees. To be combined to produce a MiG-21FL of the United Arab Republic (i.e. Egypt) Air Force circa the Six Day War.

One PJ Productions Mirage 5M Mirsip - Hannants have them reduced so I thought "why not". Won't be built OOB, might end up as a Nesher but haven't decided exactly what it will be yet.

Mike.

4 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

Bit more Heller Musée loveliness. I do

like these kits! 

spacer.png

I got the Bloch 210 a couple of weeks ago. Interesting to see how seriously Heller is taking the "Vintage" aspect: Almost everything on the packaging and in the instructions is in French. No pandering to English speakers!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, klr said:

No pandering to English speakers!

Personally I really like this, but then my French is pretty good 😉. It very much plays to the heritage of the brand and as you say ramps up the "vintage" feel, but I can see that it would be alienating for some buyers. It's a bold marketing decision, that's for sure. IMHO Heller might do well to knock up English versions of the instructions and at least make them available online. They've done a bit of revamping of their website in the the last month and now make the instructions/callouts for many of their kits available to download in pdf format. It would be easy to add the English versions I'm sure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TonyOD said:

It would be easy to add the English versions I'm sure.

Mettrez les instructions en Anglais? 
Sacrilège!

---

Aren't they German-owned (B2Glow) nowadays? Aie, mon Dieu...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

Aren't they German-owned (B2Glow) nowadays? Aie, mon Dieu...

Indeed they are. Bought out by their German distributor I believe. +49 phone number and German postal address but they retain the .fr web address and seem keen to retain the essential Frenchness of the brand. Fair play.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TonyOD said:

Personally I really like this, but then my French is pretty good 😉. It very much plays to the heritage of the brand and as you say ramps up the "vintage" feel, but I can see that it would be alienating for some buyers. It's a bold marketing decision, that's for sure. IMHO Heller might do well to knock up English versions of the instructions and at least make them available online. They've done a bit of revamping of their website in the the last month and now make the instructions/callouts for many of their kits available to download in pdf format. It would be easy to add the English versions I'm sure.

Indeed it would be easy to put instructions in other languages online. Not only that, instructions for painting the interior and other details, which would have been included in later releases during the 1980s and 1990s. The Airfix "Vintage Classics" reissues have the same problem. I don't think anyone really thought about how to paint aircraft interiors (at least in 1/72) until the early 1970s.

My own French is extremely rusty (not that it was ever that good), so I challenge myself to decipher the Heller text as best I can.

Oh yes, and I bought the Hasegawa 1/72 Kyushu J7W1 today, and it's not going in the stash. It's for the Interceptor GB:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TonyOD said:

It's a bold marketing decision, that's for sure. IMHO Heller might do well to knock up English versions of the instructions and at least make them available online.

That would be nice for some, but in reality the instructions I've dealt with are all in one picture exploded view style so pretty easy to figure out. Only issue I have is if there is more than one part like tail planes. Are they handed or duplicates ? That part becomes a bit of guessing game but nothing to hard to figure out by looking at photo’s of your real subject. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, TonyOD said:

Indeed they are. Bought out by their German distributor I believe. +49 phone number and German postal address but they retain the .fr web address and seem keen to retain the essential Frenchness of the brand. Fair play.

When Glow2B bought the Heller Brand they stated in a Press release that it was something of a return to Heller's roots as the Company that G2B grew from had also founded Heller or words to that effect.

Duncan B

• Like 1

12 hours ago, klr said:

Not only that, instructions for painting the interior and other details, which would have been included in later releases during the 1980s and 1990s. The Airfix "Vintage Classics" reissues have the same problem. I don't think anyone really thought about how to paint aircraft interiors (at least in 1/72) until the early 1970s.

But then what would be the point of doing 'Vintage' or 'Musee' series if you're going to bring everything but the plastic in line with modern standards?

Both are selling these as the 'classic modelling experience' to a specific audience of enthusiasts - and I actually like the old style instructions Heller uses for those. 

2nd TAF Spitfire, the Story of Spitfire ML407 by Hugh Smallwood, bought from a seller on ebay & arrived very much faster than advised. I like the look of it. ML407 of course is notable to Kiwis as the mount of Johnnie Houlton of 485NZ sqn who was flying it over the beaches of Normandy on D-day & who used it to shoot down a Ju 88, the first German aircraft to fall the the guns of the Allied Air Arms on that momentous day.

Also a Microscale sheet 72-364 with markings on it for a Malcolm hooded P-51A FR aircraft.

Steve.

• Like 4

A second box of tools from my friend who's father died recently. I haven't looked very closely yet but immediately obvious were three different sized Xuron side cutters, two sets of needle files, with and without handles and some others which I cannot identify.

• Like 5

I seem to have done it again:

Eduard FW190A-8/R2 in 1/72;

Several sets of decals for 1/72 Bf109E's;

Masks for 1/72 Bf109E's

Decals for 1/72 Vampire T.11

Edited by jackroadkill
Forgot half of the stuff!
  • Like 1

Via eBay

1/48 Tamiya Military Miniatures Series No.26 – WW 2 British Infantry Set European Campaign

Via Ali Express

Two sets of unbranded 1/35 resin military accessories Two Rolled Tarpaulins and  Eight Individual Sandbags for £4.60 in total including shipping with a just over three week delivery time from China

From Amazon

Dans Le Repaire Du Mirage – Tome 3 - 2000D Nancy-Ochey (In the lair of the Mirage  - Volume 3 - 2000D Nancy-Ochey)  by Alexandre Paringaux and published by Zephyr , illustrated throughout and reminiscent of the Osprey Superbase series but in a much larger more heavily illustrated format and with more extensive text albeit in French

The Merlin EH(AW) 101 From Design To Front Line by Rich Pittman and Prestwick Airport Through Time by Peter C Brown and both published by Amberley

Defiant : The Untold Story Of The Battle Of Britain by Robert Verkaik and published by Robinson

MK hobbies paint rack, reaching the point where not only can’t I easily see which Vallejo are which in the draw, they are also even more annoyingly falling over and rolling into the dark depths of the draw underneath the bench. Don’t like spending a not insignificant bit of money on non materials but needs must. 

• Like 1

Megabloks to help me in torturing plastic ........ 

Oh dear. The wife say they are for  the Grandson ! Spoilsport...

IMG_0515[1]

Still, these are for me; AC/DC's latest, Powr up to listen to while I read this - (I'm sure I'll read others as well while listening to it)

IMG_0516[1]

• Like 7

Courtesy of email and collect form Halifax Modellers World. 

Zvezda Hercules 

Arma Hurricane IIB/C 

Some Miliput and paint. 

Dave looked very lonely in the shop, although people are ringing orders through. He is still receiving stock and so will have new stuff. Very good service. Had everything ready and waiting and I could park right outside the shop. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

MK hobbies paint rack

[....]

Don’t like spending a not insignificant bit of money on non materials but needs must. 

Give it a few days at the bench. You'll be thinking 'why didn't I do this sooner?!?' 
Ask me how I know :P

In other news:

The KoPro 1/72 Ju-52 (Heller originally) and MiG-19 I ordered 3 months ago finally turned up.
Apparently the box fell off the container or something when at Customs and spent 2 months in limbo, being handed over from Czech post but not yet cleared in to local Postie systems. Very peculiar to see a 2 month gap in T&T.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, alt-92 said:

Give it a few days at the bench. You'll be thinking 'why didn't I do this sooner?!?' 
Ask me how I know :P

Indeed, few hours later could not for the life of me find my vallejo dark sea grey, 10 minutes frantically flicking bottles tops for nothing then another few minutes going through website orders to check if  I had imagined ordering a fresh pot, in the end taken the whole lot out sitting to one side in numerical order till the rack arrives