What's your latest acquisition Part V ?

Duncan B

The proprietor of my local hobby shop is beginning to read my mind. He even put these aside so I could have first dibs on them:

DSC01295_dr_020.jpg

I already have the Revell kit of the 15cm x 10 launcher, which can also be built as the resupply vehicle for that version. I had been thinking about ordering just the 8cm x 48 version. But I couldn't resist taking all three Roden kits, especially as they were very reasonably priced, unlike the Revell kit.

Edited by klr
  • Like 4

17 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Some more tools. A good friend lost his father,  a keen modeller, last month and asked if I would like some of his equipment and unmade kits. He turned up on Monday evening with a plastic box containing some books, an unused cutting mat and a selection of well used tools including several pin vices, tweezers, a couple of pounce wheels and a pair of Xuron side cutters. This was just a taster he told me, there are a couple of boxes of unmade kits to come.His father worked for Air France and Air Inter So I’m expecting some airliner kits which Max is quite happy for me to swop for something more in my line.

Hes a good friend and at least he knows they will be used not just tossed.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

complete with a conversion to fixed undercart as the NAC ones were.

Will you scratchbuild that Steve, or is there a conversion set available? I've had thoughts of doing a welded down legs BEA example for years, just never got round to scratching the bits.

Keith

23 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Some more tools. A good friend lost his father,  a keen modeller, last month and asked if I would like some of his equipment and unmade kits.

I had a similar thing a few years ago. My next door neighbours, were an Anglo/German couple, and sadly, he died from liver cancer at the age of about 52. Just prior to his death, he'd bought a load of modelling bit's and pieces to keep himself occupied after his operation. None of it got used, and his wife gave it all to me. There were no kits, but a Humbrol modelling station, along with a load of Revell paints and some other bits and pieces. The modelling station comes in very handy for when it's too cold in my hobby room, and I want to cut some plastic in font of the fire and watch some TV.

John.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Will you scratchbuild that Steve, or is there a conversion set available? I've had thoughts of doing a welded down legs BEA example for years, just never got round to scratching the bits.

Keith

Afaik, it is a scratch build task. There was a build about a year back from memory which went into much more detail than I am likely to, resin engines etc & from memory that was fixed u/c, but I think some milliput around the kit parts could look ok too. Maybe. :unsure: :D

Steve.

• Like 1

From Neomega for some future projects.

IMG_7864-L.jpg

The Vector engines are for an Airfix Walrus and Italeri Hs126 that I will be starting soon. The Quinta 3D Decals are for a Hobby Boss Su-30MMK that I am planning, these decals are quite stunning and will really make a big difference to the way my model interiors look.

IMG_7867-M.jpg

IMG_7865-L.jpg

All available from the Neomega website.

Duncan B

• Like 6

Went into my local model shop for one tamiya paint colour and some thinners for my current ship build and came away with a Italeri 1/48 F14a Tomcat and other paints which I didn't intend to buy. I shouldn't really go in on pension day. 😭

My very young grandson is moving house next month and he wants me to build some planes to hang in his new bedroom. His mum & dad can pay for the rest😊 I guess my ship build will need to wait 🙄

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

From Amazon

The Nimrod by Martyn Chorlton published this week by Amberley

Famous Russian Aircraft : Sukhoi Su-24 by Yefim Gordon and Dimitriy Komissarov published by Crecy

The Mig-21: The Legendary Fighter/Interceptor in Russian and Worldwide Use, 1956 to the Present by Holger Muller published by Schiffer as a 2018 English translation of a 2012 Motorbuch publication in German

From The Book Depository

USAFE In The 1980s by Adrian Symonds also published this week by Amberley

Legends of Warfare : Republic F-84 – Thunderjet , Thunderstreak and Thunderflash by Ken Neubeck and published by Schiffer (image reproduction not up to the same quality as their more extensive and not much more expensive , with a little searching ,1998 Photo Chronicle on the same subject)

Local Charity Shop

Famous Fighters Of The Second Word War by William Green , 1979 Book Club Associates reprint of the 1950s original by Macdonald complete with dust cover for £1.50 , remember the original from my Primary School library so have ordered the Bomber volume online.

From Mastercasters on eBay

Master 48041 McDonnell F-101B Pitot Tube in brass , finished the Monogram kit earlier this year and lost count of how often I have broken the plastic pitot part since so fixed at last and with excellent service from Jay , ordered Monday afternoon and delivered by Royal Mail Tuesday morning.

• Like 1

Just arrived today is the lovely Hind E from Zvezda, but the real reason I'm bothering to post this is because I've also just received my first 3D Decals by Quinta Studio, courtesy of Neomega who are the UK supplier.

resized_6105accf-5f78-4e6e-a7c6-ba4765db

resized_3c1795e9-67fd-4b42-816e-4df96917

From watching these and the market reaction elsewhere people fall broadly into 2 camps:

1) Great innovation. I can't wait to try them.

2) This is ruining modelling as a hobby.

Every time something comes out which improves what's possible the average modeller a few No.2s appear who themselves have a fairly narrow selection of unconvincing reasons. I'm in the former camp.

• Like 8

They look interesting Jamie - are they actually raised or is that just good 'art'?

(Just Googled and found a review on BM here)

Does that mean I'm not a No. 2 then? :D 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CedB said:

They look interesting Jamie - are they actually raised or is that just good 'art'?

Does that mean I'm not a No. 2 then? :D 

Hehe I guess it does!

They're proper relief printed items - just very precisely coloured, instruments glazed and on waterslide decal paper. They do recommend giving them help eg with PVA but they look great. Here's their 1/48 MiG-29 which shows it better

qs_qd48024_parts1.jpg

Think of it as blending the best aspects of resin parts with prepainted PE.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Just arrived today is the lovely Hind E from Zvezda, but the real reason I'm bothering to post this is because I've also just received my first 3D Decals by Quinta Studio, courtesy of Neomega who are the UK supplier.

resized_6105accf-5f78-4e6e-a7c6-ba4765db

resized_3c1795e9-67fd-4b42-816e-4df96917

Wow they look great. Hopefully Like @CedB we all fall into the same camp.

my reasoning for the post is that I just bought the 1/48 version of this kit. (I got a bit smitten) do they make the same in a bigger scale?

Johnny

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

Wow they look great. Hopefully Like @CedB we all fall into the same camp.

my reasoning for the post is that I just bought the 1/48 version of this kit. (I got a bit smitten) do they make the same in a bigger scale?

Johnny

Hi Johnny, they do and it looks better in bigger scales. Gordon at Neomega has it in stock now:

mi-24v-1-48th-%5B2%5D-1039-p.jpg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Hi Johnny, they do and it looks better in bigger scales. Gordon at Neomega has it in stock now:

mi-24v-1-48th-%5B2%5D-1039-p.jpg

Holy moley!! I was just looking a @Mike’s review of the BigEd set for the 1/48 hind. All that stuff looks great but pricey if you want the lot. This set has belts and interior. Do you have a link for the best place to get these from? 

Johnny

ps. I found the site. Looks like these cost too. They’re really nice but it costs pretty much what I paid for the kit.  So many choices. It’s nice to have the choice though. 🤩

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

2) This is ruining modelling as a hobby.

How does that work, nobody forces anyone to buy or use them....??!! And how are they worse for modelling than colour p.e. - except for looking much better!

I think they look great, be interested to see how good they are in use.

Keith

• Like 3

This is the Trophy series that runs alongside the Formula E Championship...

photo-th.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mick4350 said:

A couple of compact discs, Quantum Key by Tangerine Dream and Oxygen 7-13 by Jean-Michel Jarre.

Oxygene 7-13 is a really nice album. I played all three Oxygene albums back to back a few weeks ago, a bit of a journey and realised I have listened to all of them over the years while modelling. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, JohnT said:

Picked a 1/32 Bristol Bloodhound on EBay cheapish. Now I have to look up references etc cos I know little about them other than they are British pointy anti aircraft things :hmmm:

If its the one im thinking about some of the accuracy is not that great. I know someone who worked on them extensively in the RAF, he tried to help the maker of this kit to no avail.  I have some drawings somewhere I will see if I can dig out for you. 

• Like 1