What's your latest acquisition Part V ?

Duncan B

A store was having a big sale on today for the long weekend here, 1/72 Italeri Short Stirling Mk 1. Been after this one for a couple years at the right price and finally got it. I've been waaaaiting and waiting to purchase a Lancaster BII but Airfix seems to have pushed back the release date to some unknown date this autumn. Never mind, I picked up the 1/72 Dambusters kit instead! 

• Like 2

Not much in the modelling line recently apart from a click and collect order from Hannants (staying near Bungay it would have been rude not to have paid a visit). Pavla MB Mk9 ejector seat. Aires Sepecat Jaguar wheels, Reskit Canberra wheels and the DK Decal sheet for Havoc night fighters. All in 1/72nd scale. 

From a bookshop in Beccles, the Martin Derry book on RAF aircraft in colour 1960-1970 Vol 1, it was reduced and was their ever a Vol2? 

Today bought a tin of Wilco white low odour radiator paint. Seems to work as described, although will need another coat which I expected. 

2 more in the 33 1/3 series of books on albums.

SAM_8961

I'm your fan is a tribute album to Leonard Cohen, featuring Leonard Cohen songs covered by various artistes - 18 songs by artistes ranging from Ian McCulloch, the Pixies, John Cale, to REM, the Lilac Time, Fatima mansions.

I've now got to get the CD!

The other, Suicide's Suicide I do have the album. Frankly, the album is  ...... ummm .... unusual, to say the least!

• Like 3

I know what you mean about that Suicide LP. I'd read about them before I had heard them and when a friend played the LP to me, I immediately know what it was. I kinda get how they were influential, but I can't say the music did an awful lot for me, I'm afraid.

I have a few of the 33 1/3 books, all of which are for albums I love. The writing style is incredibly varied. I fond the one about Radiohead's OK Computer to be an incredibly dry read.

• Like 1

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/finemolds-fj2-curtiss-r3c-0--613166

Got it off e-bay from a Japanese store and, I kid you not, it arrived 5 days after I purchased it! Japan to Los Angeles in 5 days is pretty good in my opinion. Just wish I could build them that quick.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

I know what you mean about that Suicide LP. I'd read about them before I had heard them and when a friend played the LP to me, I immediately know what it was. I kinda get how they were influential, but I can't say the music did an awful lot for me, I'm afraid.

I have a few of the 33 1/3 books, all of which are for albums I love. The writing style is incredibly varied. I fond the one about Radiohead's OK Computer to be an incredibly dry read.

I’m glad someone else finds them .... unusual!

Also good to find someone else buys these books. I’ve got all of the ones published, except for the Janet Jackson Velvet Rope book (not in the warehouse yet) and the album to go with each book - apart from a couple.

The writing style is varied - some of them I can’t finish, but I try to read the book as I play the CD. I thought the OK computer book really complemented the album, though!

Oddly enough I found myself listening to Suicide recently, and yes they are odd, but hugely influential. I discovered them as both Loop and Head of David covered their songs, two bands that I was very much into back in the day.

My most recent aquisition was a Whirlybirds DH88, Black Magic, from t'bay. This kit contains the Airfix model, with a pair of vacuum formed canopies, new decals and a resin interior. On opening the box I found two Airfix kits, along with the original Airfix decals. Plenty of options there.

Edited by halfwit
  • Like 1

50324330216_c9517ed355_o.jpg

My latest model acquisitions. I was running dangerously low on F-104's in my stash so I had to do something about it. I'm more of a 1/72 modeller than 1/48, but the 'Eiko' boxing seemed to be too nice to pass. Plus I haven't done the Hasegawa 1/48 Starfighter yet (Eduard box comes with Hasegawa plastics).

Hasegawa 1/72 on the other hand is somewhat familiar to me,  and it is the best 1/72 Starfighter kit, but I was still missing the two-seater. So a box with both 1 and 2 seater was a great thing to have.

GasPatch Hs 123 is not in the usual type of plane or scale I usually build - but the model just seems superb and I can't wait to build it. Hoping to follow it with Eduard 1/48 Bf 109E with the Galland miniature later on.

Saab J-21 is a strange plane from the Saab's early years - but interesting one at that. First Saab jet fighter - need to have that together with the Viggens and Drakens.

• Like 4

So I went into my local shop to collect an Airfix Jetstream, to go with the Dominie and Heron I bought a few weeks ago. This fills a gap in my collection. It was last on general release in the late 1980s, having been OOP for years before that. No wonder I couldn't get my hands on it:

1189971-11991-31-720.jpg

Being a Vintage Classics release, it's still got the ill-fated USAF markings that never came to be.

But that wasn't all. I spied something else that I'd been looking for nearly 40 years: The Italeri (ESCI) "Nebelwerfer" double kit:

264788-11575-45-pristine.jpg

Somehow, it had escaped my attention that Italeri re-released it a few years ago. Why did I not buy it back in the early 1980s? As I explained to the store owner today, back then I was just a poor schoolboy who couldn't afford to buy everything that he wanted. So some kits I missed out on.

But that wasn't the end of it. I also spotted something that I'd forgotten about (or just overlooked): The Italeri re-box of the ESCI-ERTL M108 mortar carrier. I knew of the M113 kit and several variants - I built the M163 Vulcan AA variant in the late 1980s. But this was a pleasant surprise.

199727-15582-10-pristine.jpg

As well as some colourful US Army and Greek schemes, there's also a plain OD scheme for a Vietnam-based vehicle ... just what I need right now for the Vietnam GB. Of course, the tracks have no teeth, a persistent issue with the ESCI-ERTL "hard" tracks. And there is only one bank of road wheels, which is also a common issue.

Edited by klr
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, klr said:

So I went into my local shop to collect an Airfix Jetstream, to go with the Dominie and Heron I bought a few weeks ago. This fills a gap in my collection. It was last on general release in the late 1980s, having been OOP for years before that. No wonder I couldn't get my hands on it:

1189971-11991-31-720.jpg

Being a Vintage Classics release, it's still got the ill-fated USAF markings that never came to be.

At least three of the Jestream 3Ms (C-10A) had been completed, but not handed over, before the Americans walked away from the programme.  As far as I know none of them left Radlett as complete aeroplanes, but the front fuselage of one is alleged still to exist to n the UK.

Smewhere in the Loft of Doom I have at least one of the 1980s issue (horrible ‘photo of completed model” box) and two sets of M&E Astazous to do an RAF T. Mk. 1 conversion (by heck those mouldings are rough.

• Like 1

50325602793_ee2fee954a_b.jpg

I went to Hannants' site to get a masking set for the Fairey Fulmar I’m putting together in the BoB 80 group build, but my finger slipped. :innocent: The Ju52 masking set includes markings as well as glazing, so that might push my KP repop of the Heller kit up the "might build" list for the upcoming Heller GB. 

As for the CR.42, well, knowing my 1940 fetish, how could I resist? I’ve already built the Mister Kit one for the BoB GB, and that will remain as the CAI representative. Now I’m torn between building one of the marking options in the Italeri kit for a 1940 Libyan aircraft - which will mean it joins the Sparviero as the core of my Mediterranean Theatre 1940 collection - or build it as a Belgian Air Force plane… choices, choices.

Having had a quick squint in the box, there’s a ton of nice detail in there. Nice interior parts, a choice of spats or unspatted undercarriage, and six different sets of markings. I shall look forward to putting it together in time.

• Like 10

11 hours ago, stever219 said:

At least three of the Jestream 3Ms (C-10A) had been completed, but not handed over, before the Americans walked away from the programme.  As far as I know none of them left Radlett as complete aeroplanes, but the front fuselage of one is alleged still to exist to n the UK.

Smewhere in the Loft of Doom I have at least one of the 1980s issue (horrible ‘photo of completed model” box) and two sets of M&E Astazous to do an RAF T. Mk. 1 conversion (by heck those mouldings are rough.

The thing that killed that kit off for most folk (definitely for me) was that it represented the prototype with the Garret TP engines. It took a very long time for a kit of the Jetstream with the Astazous to appear.

Duncan B

Via various eBay sellers

Another 22 issues of Flying Review International , various dates 1965/68

From the Aviation Book Centre

X Planes 5  TSR2 , Britain’s Lost Cold War Strike Jet by Andrew Brookes and published by Osprey

Israel AF Mini Photo Album No.4 - Super Mystere and Sa'ar by Ra'anan Weiss and published by IsraDecal Publications , on offer over the Bank Holiday weekend for around £10 instead of £30 and while no plans to model one still a fascinating subject

From Books etc.

Britain’s Jet Age From the Meteor To The Sea Vixen by Guy Ellis and published by Amberley , had the later 'From the Javelin To The VC10’ for a little while and did not realise that there had been an earlier volume until the mighty book river recommended it last week at a rather higher price

Convair by Martyn Chorlton and also published by Amberley

• Like 1

A new carpet for the newly redecorated study/spare bedroom. No access to my references as piled up in my now vacant daughters bedroom with the bookcases. 

• Like 1

Picked up these at a couple of LHS whilst on holiday in Dorset:

spacer.png

The two Mitchell II's I bought from Dorchester from a shop in the town centre. Wasn't immediately obvious they sold any kits, except they had a small display of Warhammer and a small poster in the window, quick pop in and asked if they had any other model kits, and yes upstairs. Nice selection of Airfix & Revell models, with the two Mitchells on offer at £14.99 each! Couldn't really say no to that, so I had both of them! The Revell kits all came from Setchfields in Poole. Thanks to my gorgeous wife who bought them for me on Friday 11-09-2020 as it was my 50th! I picked them out, she paid! (Should really mention that I will not be using the kit decals in the F/A-18 - they will be replaced with aftermarket decals....)

spacer.png

The book I found in a second hand book shop in Lyme Regis for the princely sum of £3.50 (little research on Amazon, they seem to be going, at cheapest £20, at most £56...). Not a bad little bargain I think, and a good read as well!

And finally for my 50th Birthday present off the wife :

spacer.png

Sony DSC-HX400V camera. I'm not a massive camera geek, but I did want a camera with a decent optical zoom, and a good level of picture quality. So this one has a 50x optical, and 20 megapixal picture quality (dependant on type of image being taken). Multiple modes from nighttime, to landscape, to action shots. So will do for what I need it for. Nice type of bridge camera. Sadly, the button to release the pop-up flash has broken after only a few days so has to be returned to the retailer (John Lewis), but as we have the receipt it should not be a problem to get it exchanged (purchased mid August).  

All in all, a very good weeks purchases and presents from the wife!

Edited by treker_ed
Update to post
  • Like 9

On 09/09/2020 at 09:46, Whofan said:

2 more in the 33 1/3 series of books on albums.

SAM_8961

I'm your fan is a tribute album to Leonard Cohen, featuring Leonard Cohen songs covered by various artistes - 18 songs by artistes ranging from Ian McCulloch, the Pixies, John Cale, to REM, the Lilac Time, Fatima mansions.

I've now got to get the CD!

The other, Suicide's Suicide I do have the album. Frankly, the album is  ...... ummm .... unusual, to say the least!

The Cohen tribute album was great. I hade it on cassette back in the day and wore it out from overplay. Definitely worth getting.

Agree with the Suicide album. I read one too many good reviews of it. 🥴

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Beermonster1958 said:

Not figured out how to load photos here yet

There are many guides in FAQs explaining how to do it. First job is to get yourself a photo hosting site.

John.

• Like 1

spacer.png

(Bought by the wife as a birthday present -  Sadly, the button to release the pop-up flash broke after only a few days so has to be returned to the retailer (John Lewis), but as we have the receipt it should not be a problem to get it exchanged (purchased mid August). )

****(update 14/09/2020) Sadly as suspected, the camera has had to be returned for replacement. Initially for some reason John Lewis seemed intent on some 30 day rule, as the camera was purchased by my wife on 1st August. However, I pointed out that as the fault with the flash has occurred within 6 months, under the consumer rights act etc this MUST be taken as a manufacturing fault and replaced or refunded or repaired. As this was not something they could easily repair, they then started to sort out with their in house technical team. Unfortunately, currently none in stock, so have had to refund (albeit temporarily) and we will await new stock arriving in the next day or so - for which a reservation has been made for us! 😪😪😁😁

Edited by treker_ed
replaced images due to problem with image server
  • Like 2

1/48 HobbyBoss Mig-17F Fresco F    (Vietnam GB)

• Eduard PE Cockpit set
  • Eduard Canopy masks
  • Master Pitot/Gun Barrels
  • Quickboost Ejection Seat
  • Armory Wheels

1/48 Eduard Mig-21MF Profi-Pack

1/48 Roden O-1 Bird Dog (gonna be a Raven bird, maybe for Vietnam GB if I can get one of the others done)

• Eduard Brassin LAU-3 Rocket pods  (arriving in a few days)

1/48 HobbyBoss F4F-3 Early     (MTO GB)

• Eduard PE Cockpit Set
  • Eduard Canopy Masks
  • Master Pitot Tube

• Like 2