RFM - Sturmmörserwagen 606/4 mit 38 cm RW 61.

Outstanding work, the interior looks tremendous, looking forward to the rest!

Just needs some working interior lighting so when all buttoned up it can still be appreciated...

Cheers 

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, M3talpig said:

Absolutely beautiful work Simon.......really convincing interior....so good in fact you gotta be feeling a bit sick that you gotta cover all that fantastic work up.

Seriously can't wait to see the paint stage on the exterior.

Cheers Steve, thanks. It's been a trial. The shell racks have been a big problem....but finally stating to get it together.  I hope to have the interior all in and done before the Panther build kicks off. The exterior will have to wait until that's finished. I'm going to try and do the camo' that's on the box art....have to see......

Thanks again.

16 hours ago, SimonT said:

Looking excellent, I don’t suppose the fit is good enough you can just dry fit for painting etc, then take the upper hull off to show everything off?

Those shells look like they belong on a battleship!

Hi Simon, thanks for taking a look and a thumbs up........I thought about trying to do that, but the shell racks are integrated requiring to fix the upper hull permanently. The top plate I'll leave loose to view the interior. It came a s a clear part, but I'll paint it.

And yes, the shell's are big. I'll feel sorry for the crew moving them into position to fire.......when I did a dry fit, there 'aint much room in there.....:sad:

Thanks again....:yes:

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Hamden said:

As always stunning results on show here :goodjob:

Roger

Appreciate that Roger, cheers mate.........:yes:

14 hours ago, Longbow said:

Totally Awesome build and paint job !!

Cheers Longbow....:yes:

14 hours ago, vytautas said:

Nice work Simon, looks great

You're right.  The 38cm rocket was originally designed for the German navy by Rheinmetall-Borsig.

Cheers Vytautas.....and yes, naval ordnance it is. I tend to imagine most were abandoned because they didn't fancy firing the thing and heaving them arounf inside that compartment.....simple case of sod it, too much like hard work...........:wink:

3 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Outstanding work, the interior looks tremendous, looking forward to the rest!

Just needs some working interior lighting so when all buttoned up it can still be appreciated...

Cheers 

Darryl 

Thanks Darryl.....:yes:I thought about trying that.......maybe next build. I'll look into what I need to get to do it. The battery pack could have gone in the engine bay.

Thanks all for your positive comments.....:yes:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/14/2020 at 6:02 PM, M3talpig said:

Being that they only produced 19 of these i take it you have a particular vehicle in mind for this Simon....... if you need any extra info on these drop me a PM as i have a couple of very hard to get publications on the Sturmtiger that go into some fairly crazy detail.....no two were the same ...even the barrel of the launchers were different on different vehicles.....looking great so far though...gonna follow along if you don't mind.

Steve 

HI STEVE......could you do me a favour.......... does any of those books of yours, have a pic of what hardware is on the interior of the rear access hatch.....how it locks etc..

cheers mate

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Redcoat2966 said:

HI STEVE......could you do me a favour.......... does any of those books of yours, have a pic of what hardware is on the interior of the rear access hatch.....how it locks etc..

cheers mate

I shall have a look for you now

Afternoon all....just a quick update. The upper hull is one and all shell's/rockets are in. I decided to leave one out......to show the rack system better.....

BUJuC9g.jpg

I can't say it was easy to get them in......in the end I had to cut off the detail at the end of the hidden/centre divider rod between the rounds....otherwise, pretty much impossible to load them up without doing this. Next is to do final touch up and some personal gear in areas you can see.

05T74Ud.jpg

.....also some final chipping and weathering on the interior of the rear inner wall....I couldn't find any reference to the locking system of the rear hatch, so might have to crib something from another vehicles inner locking feature. If anyone has some pics of any hatch of this type would be appreciated....offn on to finalise the exterior PE and detail. 

• Like 15

To say that looking really good just doesn't do it justice!

The contrast between the fresh green of the shells and the worn white of the interior I particularly like.

Atb

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

To say that looking really good just doesn't do it justice!

The contrast between the fresh green of the shells and the worn white of the interior I particularly like.

Atb

Darryl 

Cheers Darryl

I chose the green as it was the colour I saw a museum sample painted. I was going to do a mixed bag of two maybe three standard German military colours. But thought that this type of shell may have been a one supplier type so went with one colour. I started with lime and then three separate darker German camo' green. I have three extra shells, so I'm going to scratch build the slat packaging they came in to be on the back of a truck (future build).

yFDugII.jpg 

11 minutes ago, vaoinas said:

It looks pretty cramped in there after all those huge green shells are fitted in there.

I like it very much so far.

Thanks mate....and yes, cramped is an understatement. I still think most were abandoned as loading it must have a been a nightmare..........."a case of "sorry sir, ran out of petrol"....:wink:

The only thing I've realised in my research for the hatch interior is that all the models of this type that had the distinctive camo' had Zimerit on the original Tiger chassis. The non Zim one's had the air filters of the original first Tiger builds and they were just Dunkelgelb....so for any "rivet counters" out there....this'll have camo....but no Zim.......:coolio:.....heresy they'll shout....:surprised:, are well....

Cheers both......:yes:

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Redcoat2966 said:

.this'll have camo....but no Zim.......:coolio:.....heresy they'll shout....:surprised:, are well....

Model Making is as much about artistic interpretation as getting every nut and bolt in exactly the right place ...i think your doing a beautiful job of this :goodjob: 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

Model Making is as much about artistic interpretation as getting every nut and bolt in exactly the right place ...i think your doing a beautiful job of this :goodjob: 

Cheers Steve........I was going to invest in an Atak Zim set for a Tiger and add.....but couldn't warrant the cost.......there again, I still have to work out how to do the multi camo' layout yet, either liquid mask and spray....or by hand......have to see after some trials.

Thanks again mate

• Like 1

On 9/29/2020 at 8:53 PM, vytautas said:

Wonderful job!

Cheers Vytautas, .....:yes:

Well.....been a bit of a slog to this point as I'm trying to get it at least primed before the Panther GB kicks off this Saturday. At best I'll get the last small details on and the priming maybe if I blow a fuse on the Bergepanther and need a break......:wall:

Decided to leave off the front mudguards as in most archive pics they are missing.....just left the locking pins in place.

8RCnYMB.jpg

All the tools are seperate at present, and just need the tool clamp added to each and then applied at the end.......

GzeSAFm.jpg

Rear pretty much as supplied, but left of an exhaust cowl....... ( maybe use on another Tiger project planned).......crane fitted and detail added, just need the final part of the bracket....wasn't an easy build as I had to replace the top brace bar with brass tubing. The plastic part was just not up to it at less than a mil in diameter........and the rear hatch locking detail done (but forgot to open for pics.....:whistle:.....next time)

rmR2gGe.jpg

It's going to be a hellish painting endeavour once I start, with all the crane and fenders on...just have to watch my clumsy fingers in handling.....:hmmm:

hUPYk5G.jpg

Anyway, off for a few day's then if I can prime this one.....if not..... in a few weeks I hope....

Nite all.....

• Like 16

Tremendous work Simon, absolutely work of art!

One of your trade mark paint jobs will really be the icing on the cake. 

So many great builds going on (and recently finished too) at present it really helps to inspire and try harder.

Looking forward to seeing your GB Panther.

Cheers, 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Hamden said:

This is looking really good, you have raised the bar again!

Looking forward to seeing this in paint now

Stay safe      Roger

19 hours ago, Longbow said:

Looks great !! Should look awesome in ambush makeup !! ;)

19 hours ago, M3talpig said:

Freakin beautiful work .......this is really gonna be a showstopper when it's done. 

10 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Tremendous work Simon, absolutely work of art!

One of your trade mark paint jobs will really be the icing on the cake. 

So many great builds going on (and recently finished too) at present it really helps to inspire and try harder.

Looking forward to seeing your GB Panther.

Cheers, 

Thanks all of you for that.....cheered me up, as this was a tough one to battle through....the interior wore me out...:wall:, and then the crane..(and I still have to add the cable):bangin:, ...............all the PE on the outside was a pleasure....for a change. Looking forward to getting the primer on, but as mentioned the Panther GB is just round the corner...so this one will have to go into a holding pattern......although for my sin's I've decided to go for a full interior Bergepanther in the GB.......I'll never learn :mental:

I am looking forward to doing the camo on this one. I've decided I'm going to do an airbrushed three tone camo.......not the hard line version....although by then I might give it a go with liquid mask and a brush.....not do a brushed camo to date so might give it a try.

VXBqXuz.jpg

Anyway, thanks again chaps........cheers :yes:

• Like 7

Afternoon all.......final post on this big bruiser. Managed last night to get the vast majority of the primer coat on to bring everything together. This will be on hold now until Jan with the Panther GB . Maybe jump on it for a break, but I have set myself the goal to finish the Bergepanther on the Panther build by Jan.....so going to be pretty busy......

ByQMKqd.jpg

kmsEwZS.jpg

BDOgDgg.jpg

Mso4Dae.jpg

Nc5hKbv.jpg

Nite all....off to study the Bergepanther build book.........:yes:

• Like 13

• 2 weeks later...

Afternoon all....a fleeting pass by to the forum to post some alternate progress to the Panther GB I'm battling with. Decided to pop the base Dunkelgelb onto the Sturmmorser........next step to detail highlight some of the parts here and there and then on with the camo'.....

WWkkopg.jpg

ecoMoY9.jpg

rtXCnjT.jpg

• Like 9