RFM - Sturmmörserwagen 606/4 mit 38 cm RW 61.

• 2 months later...

Afternoon all......hope we are all well on this wintery day. Good excuse to stay in and build.....😀

Decided to switch to the Sturmmörserwagen. I was planning on going with the airbrushed camo' scheme, but decided in the end to have a go at doing the brush painted version that's seen a lot in archive images. Here's the first pass on the green......two day's of effort. I had to paint each patch of colour about 6 to 8 times with a very thin watered down colour, so as not to have a pronounced brushed edge and brush marks in general. I'm planning on the brown tomorrow.....give myself a break.....off to the Mobelwagen for a bit.

jpyEPDD.jpg

ZagF8gz.jpg

AbIVAQk.jpg

PEaOo5V.jpg

Off to check out the forum.....cheers all..:yes:

Regards

Simon.

• Like 16

Some stunning precision masking there mate really stunning........ can't wait to see this when it's done.....a true five star build and looks like the paint is going down the same route :goodjob:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, vytautas said:

Very nice! Very clean and precie 👍

What paints and thinner do you use?

Vytautas

HI Vytautas......cheers mate. I used standard Vallejo with a drop of airbrush flow improver and tap water at 50/50. The key is to keep the coats transparent and build them up....

54 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

Some stunning precision masking there mate really stunning........ can't wait to see this when it's done.....a true five star build and looks like the paint is going down the same route :goodjob:

Thanks Steve....:yes:.......thought about masking it, but it would have been a nightmare to do with tape etc. The only option really was masking fluid.......but decided to do it freehand in the end, by doing multiple coats, with a very thin transparent mix.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Redcoat2966 said:

The only option really was masking fluid....

I thought that might be the case ...still a high precision needed ...used masking fluid a lot when i used to do 1/8th scale buggy racing back in the day ...only way to get the control needed to get the inside of the shells accurate....how did it do with acrylic always wanted to go back to liquid mask (and would have if using enamel) but was a little worried about it tearing the acrylic of....and how did it react around things like the grills.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2021 at 6:56 PM, M3talpig said:

I thought that might be the case ...still a high precision needed ...used masking fluid a lot when i used to do 1/8th scale buggy racing back in the day ...only way to get the control needed to get the inside of the shells accurate....how did it do with acrylic always wanted to go back to liquid mask (and would have if using enamel) but was a little worried about it tearing the acrylic of....and how did it react around things like the grills.

As I said Steve, all freehand.....no masking........ I've had a bottle of the liquid mask on my bench for ages, and still haven't opened it.......I intend to do the multi-colour camo' on the King Tiger I picked up. I might give the liquid mask a go on that....have to see. 

On 1/24/2021 at 9:24 AM, Bullbasket said:

Nice to see that even the Germans favoured Mickey Mouse ears cammo. If you're like me, you get more enjoyment out of brush painting the second colour, freehand.

John.

Hi John.....well, can't say I 100% enjoyed either colour really....should have gone for the airbrushed camo', and broke out my new needle for it.....:think:

On 1/24/2021 at 9:41 AM, Jasper dog said:

Hi Simon, outstanding work, can't brush paint with acrylics for toffee so hats off, brilliant work.

Cheers

Darryl 

Cheers Darryl.....it was a slight learning curve myself on this one.......maybe if I choose to do a hand painted one again, the new knowledge will come in handy.....:phew:, the key I found is, lots of multiple layers of thinned colour.................

Well, here's the camo' finished. Not really happy with it 100%, but it was my first shot at a large format camo' scheme. The bar's mixed in over the camo', came out larger than I wanted........after weathering, they should slip back somewhat. I'm going to use this as a test bed for some new weathering I've been looking into off YouTube.

Here's some shot's with a filter applied........going to spend the rest of the day glueing back on some parts knocked off and touching up internal colours and repainting the primer line above the wheels.

INNybyP.jpg

n39zgEv.jpg

vxK8rv3.jpg

Catch you all later.......:yes:

• Like 11

22 minutes ago, Redcoat2966 said:

As I said Steve, all freehand.....no masking........ I've had a bottle of the liquid mask on my bench for ages, and still haven't opened it.......I intend to do the multi-colour camo' on the King Tiger I picked up. I might give the liquid mask a go on that....have to see. 

Sorry bud completely misread your comment on the subject..........gotta ask, what green is that? ...i didn't realise how vivid it was until you put the red brown on ....i like it .....and the ambush scheme is spot on ...as always beautiful work

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

gotta ask, what green is that? ...i didn't realise how vivid it was until you put the red brown on

Something we often overlook in our quest for uber-precise base colours, which seems to vex so many people so badly, is that we then go and apply all sorts of filters, washes and other effects over them - thus completely altering the base colour and destroying the original precision.  It is often, if not usually, necessary to use a somewhat brighter base colour to compensate.  This can lead to base coats looking too stark and often toy-like before the effects.  But don't panic at that point; it will come good.

I spotted a really very nicely finished Sturmtiger on a Facebook forum yesterday.  In dunkelgrau!  The owner was, perhaps predictably, having hissy fits at people pointing out the error because he should be allowed to do it his way........

• Like 1

19 hours ago, M3talpig said:

Sorry bud completely misread your comment on the subject..........gotta ask, what green is that? ...i didn't realise how vivid it was until you put the red brown on ....i like it .....and the ambush scheme is spot on ...as always beautiful work

Hi Steve, and thanks......... it's an ordinary Flay Green 968 by Vallejo. The colour specs in the kit instructions are by MIG, and they say it's MIG A.MIG 003 Resedagrun. I did a check through all my set, the 968 was the closest in that it was a  the same hue of green, but a little more brighter to withstand weathering. 

18 hours ago, Das Abteilung said:

Something we often overlook in our quest for uber-precise base colours, which seems to vex so many people so badly, is that we then go and apply all sorts of filters, washes and other effects over them - thus completely altering the base colour and destroying the original precision.  It is often, if not usually, necessary to use a somewhat brighter base colour to compensate.  This can lead to base coats looking too stark and often toy-like before the effects.  But don't panic at that point; it will come good.

I spotted a really very nicely finished Sturmtiger on a Facebook forum yesterday.  In dunkelgrau!  The owner was, perhaps predictably, having hissy fits at people pointing out the error because he should be allowed to do it his way........

Totally agree DA.....I lighten all my base Dunkelgelbs by at least 50% now to withstand the weathering.....plus, you need to keep it lighter for a small scale......or as you say it can end up too dark, or ends up like a lump of coal.

Cheers both.....:yes:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Redcoat2966 said:

The colour specs in the kit instructions are by MIG, and they say it's MIG A.MIG 003 Resedagrun

That is itself controversial at best: opinions on whether Resedagrun was ever used at all - and what colour it was - are incendiary if not explosive.  I'm not lighting that fuse 💣...........  If it was used then it would have been in 1945 after the Sturmtigers had been converted.  Standard Olivgrun would be appropriate.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Redcoat2966 said:

the 968 was the closest in that it was a  the same hue of green,

Might have to invest.....its bright enough and vivid enough that once the many layers of weathering are down it should hold a nice hue.....when i did the Jagdtiger the green got almost completely washed out....... as did the red brown. 

21 minutes ago, Das Abteilung said:

That is itself controversial at best: opinions on whether Resedagrun was ever used at all - and what colour it was - are incendiary if not explosive.  I'm not lighting that fuse 💣...........  If it was used then it would have been in 1945 after the Sturmtigers had been converted.  Standard Olivgrun would be appropriate.

Have you read any of the MIG books on this subject...........i have a few of them now there very interesting.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Morning all....change of project, back on the Sturmtiger. I usually forget to put time into the running gear, but with some research on YT; I decided to put time into them. 

After watching Nightshift and his Hunting Tiger series, I liked his treatment of the wheels, so gave it a go. This is where I found Abteilung oils to be my fave material at present, and might replace a lot of the powders and potions by MIG and AK.

I started with the usual MIG 4 colour modulation set, then discovered a great colour for chipping....MIG Dark Tracks 035. Perfect for chipping. I think what works for me is the final use of Abteilung 502 ABT060 Light Rust. A little tiny dab on selected chip's, then let dry and go back a blend with fast dry thinner. Really set's of the look of well worn wheels.

lvcPZkp.jpg

I had intended to trial some mud effects I'm working on, but now hesitate as I'll cover up a lot of hard work on the wheels......:worry:. Maybe just some light dust on the wheels and dry mud under the sponson's......anyway, off to do the other side set.

Catch you all later......:yes:

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Morning all.....quick catch up and post on the build.....finally got the running gear and tracks fitted. Bit of a fiddle, but got there in the end. Did some pre-dusting from the application of the MIG acrylic mud I tried out........not a bad product. Good for a base to be improved with pigments etc. So next on this project is to blend the running gear and tracks with dust and some pigments.

Overall it's been a difficult build. Learnt a lot in some new techniques I'm studying.....so next project will be improved in some areas I'm not happy with as regards this one. So, a couple of more weeks of finishing and should I hope be over in the RFI section, and I can start finishing off all the other partially done.

KGYrMAd.jpg

V1FVXei.jpg

x29SZnK.jpg

qt1sGip.jpg

Catch you again soon......:yes:

• Like 11

You did a great job. I always looked carefully at the vehicles in scale with camouflage, because the essence of camouflage is to hide, to break the form. In models, camouflage usually works that way, it's a pity, but the model becomes almost invisible, only motley camouflage is noticeable, the model is gone. In your case, both the model and the camouflage are visible - a really great balance 👍

Vytautas

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, robw_uk said:

very very nice work..... love NightShifts videos and always trying things he suggests

Cheers Rob, appreciate that......and yes, he does some really good demo vids, watch him all the time. Don't get much time to sit and review the forum as much, hope to the weekend and catch up on other members projects..

1 hour ago, vytautas said:

You did a great job. I always looked carefully at the vehicles in scale with camouflage, because the essence of camouflage is to hide, to break the form. In models, camouflage usually works that way, it's a pity, but the model becomes almost invisible, only motley camouflage is noticeable, the model is gone. In your case, both the model and the camouflage are visible - a really great balance 👍

Vytautas

Hi Vytautas, how are you..........and thanks. As regards the camp', I couldn't agree more. Always thought the same, and proved it somewhat on a previous project......my rubble camo' Matilda.......

klPleBI.jpg

It's a very feature and detail rich type of model with the rear deck, etc. After I did the camo, they; IMHO, sstep well back in it's distinctive shape.....I suppose a very effective camo' in reality. Still have to finish this one, so maybe next on the list......

.....I think on the SturmTiger, it would have been more effective if i'd managed to maintain a light Dunkelgelb. I lost it with some issue's on the wash stage. As I mentioned, learnt a lot in the painting of this one, ready for the next one to use what I gained from some research and practice.

Cheers both......:yes:

• Like 8

8 hours ago, Hamden said:

Really like what you have done with this one, it's a stunning result and you have raised the bar 

Stay safe          Roger

8 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Stunning beast Simon. Superb painting and weathering.

John.

Cheers both for that. I'm battling with dust effects at present and trying to blend it all together.  I'll definitely be able to carry over a lot learnt on this one for future builds.

Thanks again

Simon.

• Like 1

Loving the Sturmmörserwagen and that Matilda it's fantastic. Not sure what you have to finish on it (Matilda)? Would be well happy if i had produced that!