RFM - Sturmmörserwagen 606/4 mit 38 cm RW 61.

Morning all.......kicking off another project after hitting a brickwall as regards all other projects,  as they are at the painting stage :whistle:.......needed to build something for a change.

I've had this in the stash for some time and felt it needed some attention.

rOBpHJi.jpg

I also picked up the voyage set, even though the kit itself come's with a really nice set of PE.

ULbf0Kt.jpg

Inside the box I have to say the sharpness of the moulding is excellent....really crisp and equal to Tamiya in all way's other than some location tab's etc, slightly oversized for the location hole.....but once you get some liquid on them they soften and with a push locate alright.

Anyway....off to finish the front interior....maybe post it this afternoon.

All the best

Regards

Simon.

• Like 11

Being that they only produced 19 of these i take it you have a particular vehicle in mind for this Simon....... if you need any extra info on these drop me a PM as i have a couple of very hard to get publications on the Sturmtiger that go into some fairly crazy detail.....no two were the same ...even the barrel of the launchers were different on different vehicles.....looking great so far though...gonna follow along if you don't mind.

Steve 

• Thanks 1

On 8/14/2020 at 10:42 AM, Ron NL-S said:

That size.....

Makes you wonder what it was like operating the thing; loading AND firing.

I can only imagine Ron......the blast on the outside looked horrendous......and moving round those dustbin sized rocket shell's looked like hardwork too.

On 8/14/2020 at 6:02 PM, M3talpig said:

Being that they only produced 19 of these i take it you have a particular vehicle in mind for this Simon....... if you need any extra info on these drop me a PM as i have a couple of very hard to get publications on the Sturmtiger that go into some fairly crazy detail.....no two were the same ...even the barrel of the launchers were different on different vehicles.....looking great so far though...gonna follow along if you don't mind.

Steve 

Thanks Steve......not sure really. I have Panzer tracks for any issues on internals.....although I'm not doing much more than is in the kit itself. I did notice that the counterweights were different as you say from vehicle to vehicle. Makes you wonder also what they were thinking of building these.....and yet their days of "assault" were long in the past.....not much good in defence.

Thanks again mate, and I'll let you know if I need a detail pointer here and there....:yes:.....if you seeing anything glaring out as an issue...let me know.

9 hours ago, Hamden said:

Another Redcoat 2966 build, I'll take a seat and watch you turn this into another masterpiece!

Roger

Cheers Roger, more the merrier...:yes:

42 minutes ago, Soeren said:

That should be a really interesting and entertaining build, Simon! Mind if I take a chair?

Yeah I thought so Soeren....been looking at it for some time. I was intending to build one of the two Tigers I have also........but this one won......glad to have you along mate....:yes:

As regards the build so far. I'm battling with the rocket racks on the inside. I have to say they are the racks of Beelzebub.....RFM tried to do something clever, but have just made them near unbuildable as described. Even though RFM have achieved some really, really nice crisp parts on the sprue's.....they have failed to maintain accuracy in small parts.........LIKE THE SHELL RACKS:angry:......unlike for example Tamiya which is consistent across all parts. Spindle pins for the moveable locking bars and the PE parts. ......I'll try and post a pic to show tomorrow..

Nite all..:yes:

Cheers all...:yes:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Thanks Steve......not sure really. I have Panzer tracks for any issues on internals.....although I'm not doing much more than is in the kit itself. I did notice that the counterweights were different as you say from vehicle to vehicle. Makes you wonder also what they were thinking of building these.....and yet their days of "assault" were long in the past.....not much good in defence.

Thanks again mate, and I'll let you know if I need a detail pointer here and there....:yes:.....if you seeing anything glaring out as an issue...let me know.

Only reason i asked is that i have over the last couple of months converted all my reference books and photos to PDF so that interesting photos can be zoomed in on .....so if there is something you want let me know and i can send the entire PDF to you for you to use for info...i have a pretty huge library on the Tiger and all its variants and a very respectable library on the Panther and all it's variants.

Looking forward to watching this build i must say ...a lot of armour builders tend to shy away from these vehicles because so few were produced.....in theory you could build each one if the info was out there for every model produced.....................hhhmmmm that's a thought :boom:

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Afternoon all.....I hope we are all well.

Been a bit of tedious time on this Sturmmorser. A bit of advice to all out there intending to get one......get the full interior version by Rye Field, as you need it. When you remove the top plate to expose the interior, the front interior detail is sorely missed. I've spent some time having to build something that resembles the interior up front - seats, transmission housing, steering wheel, control panel, and suspension struts. I also had to rough out a rear bulkhead with some detail.....enough to pass. All aren't perfect, but OK to fit the bill........

anyway, here's where she sits.....I still have to scratch build a head rest for the radio operator's seat and find some stowage and head set to fill in here and there.....also some ammo pouches for the MG.

xyqAMYA.jpg

Rear bulk head

sEtdk77.jpg

Rear deck

Hwxpc3x.jpg

All the weld lines ahad to be done, and also the cutting marks for all the armour plate sections....and the counter weight and mantle.

6HS6IPW.jpg

Decided also to redo the wiring for the interior lights

4o5o6KC.jpg

I'm going to plough on with this one until the Panther Group Build kicks off in October....then shelve it for a break. Next on this is complete the racking system for the shells.....now thats another trial all of it's own....:swear:

Cheers all....

• Like 14

2 hours ago, M3talpig said:

Well this is coming on leaps and bounds and looking very special indeed......gonna be a stunner when it's done ...great work.

Thanks M3, appreciate that. it's been a bit of tedious build, but I'll get it done eventually.....

2 hours ago, Longbow said:

Looks pretty good to me !!

1 hour ago, Hamden said:

Nice update well upto your usual high standard!

Roger

Cheers Longbow/Roger..........I want to get the interior done as soon as I can,  so I can prime and paint. The best part will be the exterior to paint and weather. I thought this was going to be a easy build, but Rye Field hasn't impressed me with build accuracy as regards part fit etc.

On to the shell racks......very tedious..:wall:

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Thanks M3, appreciate that. it's been a bit of tedious build, but I'll get it done eventually.....

Cheers Longbow/Roger..........I want to get the interior done as soon as I can,  so I can prime and paint. The best part will be the exterior to paint and weather. I thought this was going to be a easy build, but Rye Field hasn't impressed me with build accuracy as regards part fit etc.

On to the shell racks......very tedious..:wall:

I have the RFM Tiger I with full interior. 
I’m “hoping” to have no issues with it. 

11 minutes ago, Longbow said:

I have the RFM Tiger I with full interior. 
I’m “hoping” to have no issues with it. 

Hi Longbow.......don't get me wrong, it's  nice "sharp" detailed kit.....but they have some issues with the fit of small parts and to be honest....larger parts. They have tried to do some clever part build, but just don't have the engineering accuracy as Tamiya; to pull them off without some issues. Location pins are always larger than the hole they are for etc etc. Overall the issues don't make it an impossible build, just tedious in getting some of the parts to fit.

• Like 2

Hi Simon, good to see this back on the bench and with some brilliant scratch work, the "partial" interior looks great!

You'd be bored if it just feel together and didn't require any fettling!

You've been tempted by the Panther GB?  I'm down for the Panzer III one start of next year but been undecided about this one, time is always an issue.

Cheers

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

On 9/10/2020 at 10:33 PM, Jasper dog said:

Hi Simon, good to see this back on the bench and with some brilliant scratch work, the "partial" interior looks great!

You'd be bored if it just feel together and didn't require any fettling!

You've been tempted by the Panther GB?  I'm down for the Panzer III one start of next year but been undecided about this one, time is always an issue.

Cheers

Darryl 

Hi Darryl, thanks for the thumbs up on the scratch.....and as you say, it wouldn't be a challenge really.  It was definitely worth the effort as all these areas are visible when you lift the lid.....can't see why they did this version omitting all these parts. I can understand the engine, but not the rest.

And yes.....the Panther GB....taking it as an opportunity with a kick up the backside to finish the Bergepanther Ausf A.....started at the beginning of lockdown. The time deadline my push it to completion....or it could end up with the Kursk panther and the Night Fighting Panther in the display cabinet, demanding attention......fingers crossed....:whistle:

Hopefully complete the priming of the interior today if I get time....

All the best

Simon.

• Like 1

Afternoon all........primer on for the interior. Bit of a hassle as regards the ammo racks....but got there. Next is Cremeweiss, and if I can some red oxide in the front two seating areas and transmission. 

nupyojK.jpg

o7OTWQK.jpg

The instructions show a French Blue interior in places....not sure if this is correct.....I've always believed it to be the Cremeweiss with red primer in the lower areas of the chassis. If anyone can confirm either way....much appreciated..here's Ryefields colour direction on the full interior kit.

RANDt98.jpg

• Like 8

13 hours ago, robw_uk said:

very nice.. i nearly risked the interior kit but my aversion to painting German schemes made me chicken out....

Cheers Rob :yes:.......you should have got one, as there's a "Plain Jane" Dunkelgelb version with no camo' paint scheme, not all were in full camo scheme......especially at the end...

10 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Hi Simon, must say that interior is looking the doo-dahs!

Glad to see you've options lined up for the Panther gig, cant say I'm not tempted myself...:hmmm:

Atb

Darryl 

Hi Darryl.....cheers mate. It's going to be a pain to paint and weather.......

.......and come on in and take the plunge........about time I finished the Berge.....what ya got in the stash to fit the bill on the Panther?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Evening all......thought I'd post an update on progress and post the interior before she's buttoned up. All the interior is finished except for a small seat yet to paint and pop in at the rear of the fighting compartment.

lqs14rz.jpg

bPfWitL.jpg

oeTynNp.jpg

Hopefully will have the upper hull fitted by the end of the weekend and primer on ready for main base colour and camo.

Night all..

Simon.

Edited by Redcoat2966
  • Like 15

Absolutely beautiful work Simon.......really convincing interior....so good in fact you gotta be feeling a bit sick that you gotta cover all that fantastic work up.

Seriously can't wait to see the paint stage on the exterior.

• Thanks 1