AA BERGE-RHINO OFFWORLD RECOVERY VEHICLE

Morning folks,

Being an aircraft modeller this one was a bit outside my wheelhouse! A  year or so ago my best mate and I visited  Warhammer World in Nottingham (its free - go if you can they even have an FV432 outside mocked up as a Rhino!)

https://warhammerworld.warhammer-community.com/

and whilst there he mentioned he'd had a load of WH stuff donated to his school where he teaches. It was mainly built stuff so we hatched a plan to each pick something, repaint and modify it and then get one of the bar maids there to choose the best one - the loser would buy lunch! There was a strict 2 month time limit but he's never finished his though I hit the deadline! It was just designed to be a bit of fun...

I picked a (badly) built WH Rhino APC  - I remember building one as a kid so I thought why not. I immediately thought of the hatch on top and what I could do with it....and my cunning plan worked! I remembered the crane on the train wagon from an old Hornby set I had as a kid - grabbed a second hand one for a couple of quid from ebay and voila...it fitted in the top hatch like a glove - and it works!!

I mean, if you have armoured ops you need a recovery vehicle right? Even the Imperial Army has to cut costs so I figured the AA might have won the recovery contract. To keep with the 80s theme I found some old AA vehicle decals on ebay! The rest of the decals I made myself (read em carefully ;) ). I took my inspiration from WW2 German Bergepanzers and added a wooden surround to the crane like you see on Bergepanthers by using some coffee stirrers. 

Painting was using Humbrol enamels as a base coat then the first time I've tried Maskol chipping (I need to perfect this!) with Humbrol acrylic yellow spray over the top for the iconic AA yellow then masked some random markings as if items had been replaced. Glazed the vision slits with Krystal Klear and covered it in Mig pigments with some Modelmates oil and engine grime and some graphite pencils. 

50225045232_0de4aa3988_k.jpgB929E74C-4E0C-47E0-8249-813055CD8384 by Ben Brown, on Flickr

50225045177_68214f6b26_k.jpgBD867F7D-AF45-4BFF-A684-C9C09EFD0148 by Ben Brown, on Flickr

50225045097_3bc55139b4_k.jpg400BBA9F-2D68-4728-82E6-97A6E5FD1D2D by Ben Brown, on Flickr

50224816491_a3054d9aa3_k.jpg493F44D1-00C5-46F5-9A49-2DD081C139DE by Ben Brown, on Flickr

50224816456_9be2054ebd_k.jpgD2386405-271A-4243-A184-73447D37E014 by Ben Brown, on Flickr

Anyway - its a bit of fun hope you like it! Maybe when he finishes his we can have the competition after all! :)

Have a great weekend!

TT 

Edited by TEXANTOMCAT
  • Like 18
  • Haha 4

I like this a lot! Just one thing.... (not a criticism) if the crane was being used pointing to the rear of the vehicle, would there be a risk of the carrier falling backwards? Maybe they would have some funky anti-gravity contraption to prevent this from happening....

Thanks for sharing with us, Ben.

Chris.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, spruecutter96 said:

I like this a lot! Just one thing.... (not a criticism) if the crane was being used pointing to the rear of the vehicle, would there be a risk of the carrier falling backwards? Maybe they would have some funky anti-gravity contraption to prevent this from happening....

Thanks for sharing with us, Ben.

Chris.  

Thanks Chris and folks👍

ah that’s easy, they just lower the rear ramp - and use the left handed grimble thromlet 

(User manual Part III, section 2, sub para 4.1. 🙂)

ATB

TT

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

Thanks Chris and folks👍

ah that’s easy, they just lower the rear ramp - and use the left handed grimble thromlet 

(User manual Part III, section 2, sub para 4.1. 🙂)

ATB

TT

Come on Ben... everyone knows that the left-handed grimble thromet was completely replaced by a self-lubricating truss-flange from 2147 onwards. This is VERY basic stuff!

Chris. 

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...