A-1E Skyraider - Maj. B. Fisher USAF MoH. - Completed

trickyrich

I really wish you would stop making 1/32 look so much fun. Collecting them is not a viable option

Not a viable option

Not a viable option

Not a viable option

Not a viable option

A viable option

Viable option

• Haha 4

hahah....resistance s futile!!!!:D

Though in this case very expensive!

Plus it's all about to get worse as I have pretty much finished the Blackhawk (thank god/satan/you fav deity) so I can get back to this baby! :yahoo:

In the meantime can I post you to this........

.....https://www.ebay.com/itm/Trumpeter-1-32-02254-A-1J-AD-7-Skyraider-model-kit/153980808136?hash=item23d9f8abc8:g:gFsAAOSw~6Be8aEj

....it even has free shipping! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I'm going to have a go at a 1:32 Beaufighter for the Interceptor GB but it's not going on a shelf if completed. I still have a couple of hooks in the ceiling of my office where my 1/6 RC P47 used to hang :evil_laugh:

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Ok this update is a bit late…..I actually forgot to do it last Monday!!!  :doh:

Ok lots and lots done on her on the last 2 days off….again as usual this will not be in order work was done…

Ok these beauties showed up…..

IMG_4814-L.jpg

I have chosen which one to use.......

IMG_4950-L.jpg

......along with these form Daco……..

IMG_4960-L.jpg

…and these big Napalm pods, not sure who I got them from. 

IMG_4961-L.jpg

I still need to find some small 250lb or WP bombs.

The wings are now altogether, the joins ended up being quite good, just one minor miss-match on the leading edge of one….prob my fault, but a simple fix.

IMG_4952-L.jpg

IMG_4953-L.jpg

IMG_4954-L.jpg

On the inner wing sections there were these “knobs” sticking out, no reference as to what they are. References say that these were indicators to tell the pilot whether the wing fold mechanism was locked or not. The instruction makes no mention of this of course, for the locked down position these pins would not be exposed.

IMG_4962-L.jpg

Ok no more stuffing around, time to sort out the fuselage issues!! After even more test fitting the plan was to brace the indies of the fuselage to keep it all nice a straight, then clamp the outside against the lower insert. To help this I added small taps the fuselage inserts to also help with alignment. So with this all in place some clamps/tape and CA cement off we go!

IMG_4963-L.jpg

IMG_4964-L.jpg

IMG_4965-L.jpg

These are the bits used after the event.

IMG_4966-L.jpg

The joins ended up being really good, there was some work required to clean them up.

IMG_4967-L.jpg

The rear join is wear the main issues are and as mention in other posts the only proper way to have corrected this would have been to split the fuselage, which in reality isn’t an option. So to fix this the gaps were filled with plastic and then everything carefully reprofiled to hide the issue!

IMG_4968-L.jpg

After quite a bit of work its all done! It turned out even better than I hoped. Everything is nice a smooth and it’s now hard to tell there was ever an issues in the first place.

IMG_4973-L.jpg

IMG_4974-L.jpg

While I was at it I sorted out the issues with the fat trailing edge of the rudder. Compared to the before photo it’s now exactly how it should look like.

IMG_4975-L.jpg

Though we should forget that I’ve managed to re-glue the trim actuator back to front!!!

IMG_4981-L.jpg

Ok time for some test fitting of the wings, I needed to add some braces/wideners to the fuselage and as a result All the gaps have gone!

IMG_4980-L.jpg

IMG_4979-L.jpg

Nose join isn’t that bad at all.

IMG_4978-L.jpg

The rear needs some minor work but an easy fix.

IMG_4977-L.jpg

…and a final look at how she’ll look altogether, I won’t say how scary it was to cut out the resin canopy!!!! There are no replacements if you stuff this up!!!

IMG_4959-L.jpg

Finally the IP is done….looks pretty good, I just need to add more clear varnish to the gauges to make the “glass’.

IMG_4949-L.jpg

Only a short break next week, but should have most of it together at the end of it.

• Like 8

• trickyrich changed the title to A-1E Skyraider - Maj. B. Fisher USAF MoH. - 16/10 update

Excellent work Rich, really good to see your Spad back underway.

You did a great job on sorting out the fit issues at the rear end, I really think that the way you have sorted it was the best way to do it and you have kept all the details.

I bet cutting that canopy was a very nerve wracking experience, you have pulled it off though and the pic of everything mocked together shows how great this will look when it all comes together.

• Thanks 1

actually the sides are almost completely straight/flat going back to the tail which is great as that's how they're meant to be.

Cutting the flash off the canopy was truly terrifying, but the nice thing is they fit perfectly. The complete rear section needs to be tinted clear blue, that will be interesting to do! 

I'm seriously hanging out to get back to this build, as mentioned I hoping to get a lot done this break.......along with the Tornado.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, trickyrich said:

The complete rear section needs to be tinted clear blue, that will be interesting to do! 

Thinned down Tamiya clear blue.  ;)  Worked a treat on my Cobra.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, trickyrich said:

IMG_4978-L.jpg

Excellent. It looks like a lot of progress made! May I make a couple suggestion? The round tube, the oil drain, doesn't exist there on the E. Neither are the rectangular armor plates with 4 bolts. 

9 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Have you found ant decent pics of how the rear cockpit was fitted out? I know they came in various configurations and that in most cases for the USAF and VNAF everything was taken out but finding clear info is a bit difficult.

I'll probably leave it pretty much empty, as you they were mostly empty and I don't have any photos or info showing stuff fitted other than those demo ones showing what stuff that could be fitted.

1 hour ago, Triet Cam said:

Excellent. It looks like a lot of progress made! May I make a couple suggestion? The round tube, the oil drain, doesn't exist there on the E. Neither are the rectangular armor plates with 4 bolts. 

Thanks for that, I haven't really start to check what is different on the kit supplied parts.  Which 4 bolt plates do you mean? Those on the wings? Will have to go and chase up some photos.....or a good walkaround!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Thanks for that, I haven't really start to check what is different on the kit supplied parts.  Which 4 bolt plates do you mean? Those on the wings? Will have to go and chase up some photos.....or a good walkaround!

I think they were armor plates added in to protect the pilots from small arms from the ground. They were installed on the H, but for some reason were left off the E versions. Here's a VNAF A-1E in 1970.

50496465496_d67e938baa_b.jpg

Here's my shoe horn version I did in 1/48, using the Matchbox body and the A-1H Monogram wings. 

45831736255_1b5ab3ae03_c.jpg

Edited by Triet Cam
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ok I bit late in updating this one, been really busy on her plus a couple of other things…

…….. one of which I’m now the proud owner of a 1/48th Collect-Aire F2H-3/4 Banshee!!! These are pretty much non-existent, so to be able to find one at a get price!!!  I pretty much now have all my VF-31 aircraft in 1/48th! :yahoo:

……… plus, my AMK F-14D & 1/32th Academy AH-1Z “Viper” were waiting for me too! :thumbsup:

..now back the subject…..lots done.

As was pointed out to me these aircraft didn’t have the armoured plates fitted. So after spending quite some time going over all the stuff I could find and noticed that all the moulded ones needed to be removed, so I ended up removing them all…... and not the easiest of tasks either, as it would require panel re-scribing as well

IMG_4997-L.jpg

IMG_4998-L.jpg

It’s all pretty smooth now, I managed to save/recover a lot of detail, just need to add rivets. I won’t get too excited or carried way here as it’s underneath and not seen, plus it’ll be covered in oil!

The front and rear wing joins are going to be a lot better than I first expected they’ll be, a nice surprise!

IMG_5004-L.jpg

IMG_5003-L.jpg

The underside speed brake looks like it’ll fit nicely as well.

IMG_4994-L.jpg

It was time to start fitted the cockpit…… some extra wiring was added to the front of the consoles as there is a bit of a gap between them and the IP. Plus some wires were added to the indicator on the top of the IP. Unfortunately the front canopy wouldn't fit at all unless the IP was mounted too low. The Gunsight was the issue. I fitted it per instructions but it sits too high. Back to references and it appears that 1/2 of it actually sat under the IP shield not above like it is here......so out with the saw and that was sorted!

IMG_4996-L.jpg

The rear fairing for the canopy was added, again not the easiest to fit….not help by the fact I managed to fit it slightly out :doh:  …..

IMG_4989-L.jpg

…. As can be seen by my additions.

IMG_5001-L.jpg

The test fitting of the canopy was a bit scary because it’s made of resin so a wee bit fragile…… I’ve had to do a few wee mods after this test fitting to get ot all sitting right.

IMG_5002-L.jpg

The cockpit tub was then fitted, I added some bracing underneath for support plus added those lower fuselage supports/wideners..... ops no photo!

The elevators were fitted, no real dramas here.

IMG_4992-L.jpg

IMG_4993-L.jpg

The engine…….. I had to do a bit of work here with getting it to sit correctly. The new cowling is actually a bit longer (and correct) to the kit one. Plus, you need to leave the entire carburettor off to get it to fit. So, with the engine in place the prop would not clear the front of the cowling at all! So, I made a mounting plate for the engine to properly mount to and a whole pile of shims to help set it in the correct position.

IMG_5000-L.jpg

IMG_5005-L.jpg

When I first saw the AM blades, I thought there may have been a moulding fault the indentation at the back of the prop and them being soooo wide. But after more careful researching they are correct. The blades had this unusual indentation on the back of the trailing edge. I’m surprised Trumpeter got the blade shape sooo wrong (well not really!).

IMG_4999-L.jpg

So getting closer……… I’m almost ready to put the wings on. She’ such a big aircraft, all the more so with 5’5” Tom Cruise beside her!

IMG_5006-L.jpg

IMG_5007-L.jpg

IMG_5010-L.jpg

I’m still really happy with the progress, still lots to do but I’m over the hump almost. Will put her aside for a couple of days and get back to the Tornado.

• Like 8

• trickyrich changed the title to A-1E Skyraider - Maj. B. Fisher USAF MoH. - 21/10 update
3 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Sounds like the Australian post system has been busy and that you should have enough plastic/resin to keep you happy for a while.

thre's no such thing as enough for me!  :D

• Haha 1