Whispering Death - OV-1B Mohawk

helios16v

Installed, pre-trimming.  Once the glue cures, I'll trim the top edge down flush w/ the bulkhead and add a wash to it.  There will also be a small fire bottle on the bulkhead next to the pilot seat (2 small holes), but I want to wait until I have the seat in hand to verify clearances.  Baby steps.

full

• Like 7

47 minutes ago, SoftScience said:

Whose your little friend, there? :)

:D

It's an eraser that came as a freebie from a shop in Japan that I had ordered some Tamiya F1 RC parts from.

Got the tail bits on and started filling gaps on top with some Mr. Surfacer.  It'll take a few applications to get them filled.  Speed brakes are installed and 99% faired in (1 more slight recess that needs a dab of filler/Mr. Surfacer).  Insulation pads are trimmed down.  Blocks on the floor for the stock seats have been chiseled off in preparation for the resin bits when they arrive.  Also painting the fire bottle. 

full

Evidently I got the weight pretty much spot on, as while it does it on it's gear like it should, if you tip it back prone on it's tail it stays there.  Fortunately most of the remaining parts will be going on the front of the aircraft.  All that is left for the tail are some little antennas.  

full

• Like 8

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't been able to do much due to work, but the second set of seats did arrive.  I got them trimmed off the casting blocks, but will need to do a bit more thinning of the bottom to clear the canopy.  I guess this was even an issue w/ kit seats.

50499997338_9c055fbf81_c.jpg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Multi-piece wingtips are dumb.....instructions also called out wrong part numbers (pictures were right) for said wingtip sub-pieces.  But a bit of trial and error it's been sorted.  Going to need a bit of filler to clean them up prior to install though.  Both halves are different for I'm assuming is the D...so there really isn't any sense behind the 2 piece tip.  Oh well, onward and upward.

And my god am I slow.....that tiny bit of work constitutes about an hour of time.

50647313146_c00d4e60a7_c.jpg

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, helios16v said:

And my god am I slow.....that tiny bit of work constitutes about an hour of time.

I was thinking exactly the same about my building - it's incredible how long some things seem to take.  Probably too much thinking and not enough doing in my case!

Your Mohawk is actually progressing really well though and looking good :thumbsup2:

• Thanks 1

Looking good! :thumbsup:

I've had mostly disappointing results with AM ejection seats. I presume the seats are correctly sized. But, the grossly out-of-scale thicknesses of the fuselage sides and cockpit glazing have always turned a close fit into didn't fit. :shrug:

I have this in the stash. Did Roden indicate the nose weight or did you get it by testing? Do you know how much weight you used?

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, dnl42 said:

Looking good! :thumbsup:

I've had mostly disappointing results with AM ejection seats. I presume the seats are correctly sized. But, the grossly out-of-scale thicknesses of the fuselage sides and cockpit glazing have always turned a close fit into didn't fit. :shrug:

I have this in the stash. Did Roden indicate the nose weight or did you get it by testing? Do you know how much weight you used?

They were a little snug in width at the bottom and just a hair tall.  Just a little sanding took care of that.

I've got 1.75oz in mine (7 - 1/4oz wheel weights).  You could get away with a little less if you put some of the weight in the nose.  I'm running a little more since all the weight is right behind the cockpit.  It does give the model a nice weighty feel though.  :D  I came to that by trial and error.  Had it mostly taped up then added weight until it nosed down on the pivot (used a pencil under the fuselage at the MLG location).

It's been a little fiddly here and there, but not too bad.  I haven't encountered anything to difficult to work around...yet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

good to see progress on this one....even if Rodan are doing their best to confuse the whole thing!

She does look like a real "tail-sitter", just hope the U/c can hold up?

The bang seats do look nice!

I'm going to call this pit done.  Just need to do a little tinting of some canopy bits, then I can go about getting it buttoned up.  Edging closer to paint.

50669605373_f73e79bea9_c.jpg

50669650598_c7ea494ae7_c.jpg

• Like 7

Nope.  They are pretty full according to the pics I’ve seen.  The seat pads aren’t “correct” for a B, but I don’t care.  They add a bit more life to a very visible pit.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wimbledon99 said:

Looking very good!!

Can I ask; What are the stick foam things?

They are my MRP scribers.  The foam was just for the shipping, but I thought them to be a cheap and effective storage tool to prevent dulling of the tips as they roll around the drawer amongst the other tools.  And keeps them from rolling off the bench and punching a hole in my foot.  :D

50678970248_7f80fd1c6b_c.jpg

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, helios16v said:

They are my MRP scribers.  The foam was just for the shipping, but I thought them to be a cheap and effective storage tool to prevent dulling of the tips as they roll around the drawer amongst the other tools.  And keeps them from rolling off the bench and punching a hole in my foot.  :D

Aha!! Chris, you're a wise man :wink:

• Haha 1