Whispering Death - OV-1B Mohawk

helios16v

That was the result of taping together the fuselage/wings/h.stabs then adding weight until the pivot point while rolling on a pencil was just forward of the MLG mounts.  Then adding 1 more piece to cover the 2 vert stabs that will still need to be added.  I wouldn't have needed as much if I could've gotten it further forward...but there was just no room.  If for some reason this still isn't enough, I can pop a couple fishing weights and modeling clay into the nose cap.  I don't think it will come to that though.

• Like 1

On 19/08/2020 at 15:54, helios16v said:

Thinking on it now I could've petitioned TR to bring in my Crusader & Vigi as WIPs...as both those aircraft are being built in markings that served over Vietnam.  But I'm committed now, I've done gone and set up this post.  :lol:

In an eerily spooky coincidence I also earmarked a Crusader, Mohawk and Vigi (which I recieved as WIP) for this GB.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ended up sitting down for a couple hours with this one tonight.  Front gear, fuselage halves, and wings are attached.  The tails are just stuck in there, haven't actually been glued yet.

full

• Like 7

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

A 1/32 B-25 will be a big old beast when finished.

Which scheme will you be finishing it in? I fancy doing a post war TB-25J trainer at some point.

Ave Maria.  447th Bomber Squadron, MTO 1944/45.

full

• Like 4

I've not been able to do much going into the maintenance shutdown schedule at work this week...but I did get a little bit progressed on the gear.  I wasn't happy w/ the molding of one of the actuators, as it seems like the halves were offset slightly.  So I nipped the ends off and a little styrene rod to the rescue.  I did manage to break (and lose) the end off one of the drag links for the other side, so I'll see if I can get some 2mm square rod from the LHS to fab up one of those.  Maybe she will be standing on her own by the end of the weekend (I have tomorrow night off from work).

full

• Like 5

Minor update.  The Mohawk stands on her own legs.  Bit time consuming as each main strut comprises of 4 individual components that all have to get fit up together...then allowing the glue to fully dry to prevent collape.  Also got the front of the engine nacelles fitted.  After dealing w/ seatbelts on the Mitchell, I think I'm probably going to see if I can find PE buckles so I can make some belts for this bird...as the kit doesn't come with any provisions for anything.

full

• Like 6

Well, my OOB build has been foiled.  I ended up finding some resin seats for a good price and said the hell with it.  :lol:

Also a little more poking around and it looks like I get to do a little canopy tinting.  :yahoo:  Believe it or not, I actually am happy about that.  It'll help break up the monotone OD a bit.  The fact the Tamiya clears spray a treat certainly doesn't hurt.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, trickyrich said:

no should ever talk about me and AM stuff again!!! :D

Looks good and nice repair, did she need much to stop her being a tail sitter?

I just need to stop browsing evilBay during breaks at work.  :unsure:

I’ve got a fair bit of weight in there.  1.25oz was enough to shift the balance on a pencil without the vertical stabs on.  I added another .25 for a total of 1.5oz to be safe.  It’s all stacked in behind the cockpit bulkhead.  I’ll still have the option of packing some fishing weights or BBs in the nose if I had to.  Should be good though as there isn’t any more large parts aside from speed brakes to attach to the aft fuselage.

Speaking of speed brakes...the 1B didn’t have them.  So they will need to be glued in & panel lines puttied over.

• Like 1

Bah, just got a message that my order for the seats have been cancelled.  They claim they found an issue w/ the piece when they pulled it off the shelf, so cancelled the order and issued a refund.  Whether there was actually an issue w/ the part or they just ended up not having anything in stock...who knows.  Irrelevant really, as the end result is the same.  I'll see if I can find another reasonably priced set...otherwise I'll just make do with the kit parts.

• Sad 1

Located another fair priced set, and ordered.  They are coming from England so it'll likely be a couple weeks before I see them.  Probably still fine since as much as I'm working I don't know that I'll be quite ready to close up the canopy for paint by then anyways.

• Like 1