Whispering Death - OV-1B Mohawk

helios16v

glad to see progress is still happening on her, that cockpit does look nice and busy, which is good because lots can be seen through that canopy.

Glad to see I'm not the only one with a messy bench! :D

I do like the scribers.

6 hours ago, dnl42 said:

Coming along nicely.

And how did youse tint the canopies?

For the windscreens, just a thinned Tamiya Clear Blue.  For the upper canopy (shades) it's a thinned Tamiya Clear Smoke w/ a drop of Tamiya Gold.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/6/2020 at 8:55 AM, JeroenS said:

I like those scribers too... MRP scriber you said? I'm putting one on my "I WANT THAT!" list 🙂 

Yep.  Had no idea they did stuff other than paint.  Stumbled across them one day while looking for needle scribers at SprueBros.  "Oh hey, what's this?  Those look kinda nice.  Let's give them a whirl."

https://mrpaint.sk/naradie-a-doplnky

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The likelihood of reaching the finish in time grows dimmer.  But progress is still being made.  Slowly but surely.  The canopy proved to be a real PITA to get pieces align and tested my patience.  I must've burned almost 2 days fiddling with that.  It's still off a bit, but it will have to do.  "IF" I can get it in paint by the end of the day I may still be able to pull it off allowing almost a day in between clears & decals for drying.  We'll see.  Nothing like coming down to the wire.  :blink:

50756165807_51023feeb5_c.jpg

• Like 7

Great to see that you're still working on your Mohawk Chris. Even if you don't make the deadline, and I believe it would be a hell of a task for even the most dedicated of modellers, it has been a very interesting build to follow of a very interesting aircraft.

Please don't rush it and ruin it though, I would much rather wait and see the excellent result we all know that you can achieve.

• Like 1

It is great to see progress on her Chris, it doesn't appear to be the friendliest model to build.......... you may have actually put me off buying one :D , I was planning to at one stage.

No need to rush for a deadline and screw up all the hard work so far. The build threads will still be open so you can post updates as you can, or drag her over to the KUTA section.

• Like 1

It will be finished.  I'm trying to finish this one up before moving on to the next one.  The only exception is I'll probably take a breather to squeak in a Xmas Blitzenbuild.  Got a little 1/100 Tamiya MiG-19 that shouldn't take very long to knock out.

There have been a couple issues that don't make sense why they did things the way they did, and aside from the canopy, the fit has been reasonable.  Still fairly happy with the kit.  Yes it's no Tamiya lick 'n stick...but that is half the fun in modeling for me, is the minor fiddling w/ bits.  I seriously doubt you'd have any issues with this kit @trickyrich.  Remember, I am a bit of a scrub still.   ;)

• Like 2

Without a deadline looming over my head, I ended up going back and pulled the worst offending part of the canopy apart again.  It has now been reset and I'm much happier with how it's fitting up now.

• Like 1

Tidy work so far Chris. Confession time; I'd missed this one 'til now so have read all four pages to learn how you got to this point with it.

• Thanks 1

Soon-ish.  I hope.  I've got 1 more antenna and 1 scoop to install, then it'll be getting hit w/ primer to see how much cleanup I have to do.....  Oh, and the static wicks...  Can't forget those.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

And I thought this thing was hard to handle before.....  :blink:

Various antennae and static wicks installed.  Off to primer.

51217132163_99a2e62009_c.jpg

• Like 2

Coming along nicely! :thumbsup:

22 minutes ago, helios16v said:

Various antennae and static wicks installed.  Off to primer.

Ooh, yer a brave man! That, or not the massive klutz I am.:wall:

I've learned to just cut such things right off as I'll only break them off later. The early surgery makes it easier for me to re-attached later.

7 minutes ago, dnl42 said:

Coming along nicely! :thumbsup:

Ooh, yer a brave man! That, or not the massive klutz I am.:wall:

I've learned to just cut such things right off as I'll only break them off later. The early surgery makes it easier for me to re-attached later.

Oh, I make no promises.  :rofl2:

Getting the pre-funk on.  Don't mind the duplicate post from the A-4 build, if anyone watching this happens to be watching that one as well.  Had the paint thinned down and figured I might as well kill 2 birds w/ one pot.  :D

51227030976_2d50c3edb1_c.jpg

51226332252_eb893f1118_c.jpg

• Like 1