Whispering Death - OV-1B Mohawk

helios16v

Kit: 1/48 Roden OV-1B Mohawk

Paint: Testors MM & Tamiya

Decals: kit

AM: Royale Resin weighted wheels

50224498931_d161732044_c.jpg

This will be my entry for the GB.  Time will tell if I actually get it completed.  :whistle:  But hey, since it's an Army observation aircraft the paint scheme is as simple as it gets.  It will be largely an OOB build with the only exception being a set of weighted wheels that actually came with the kit when I purchased it from a model show a couple years back.  Looking forward to this one as it's a bit of a unique aircraft.

• Like 13

welcome along Chris and what a very nice choice!!

I have for sometime been very close to buying this model (or maybe the OV-1A version), it's weird just how I like my models. So I'll be interested to see how this one builds. Plus there's some nice AM stuff available for it.....you've gotta add AM bits!!!

Good luck with the build, as mentioned I'll be taking special interest in this one.

• Thanks 1

On 8/15/2020 at 1:24 PM, Hewy said:

Nice choice chris , not pretty, but very interesting, box art looks great , i hope the build go's well  too

I thought the it looked like a winged newt/salamander w/ the way it goes from a big cockpit area then tapers down as it goes aft.  :D

Parts are being washed as we speak in prep for next weekend.

• Haha 2

Couldn't resist a little dry fit to get an idea what I might be getting into, as I've heard some mixed reviews of the kit.  Aside from looking like they molded 1 side of the horizontal stab twice.  :doh: Alignment of the major components looks pretty good at least, even the wing root gaps are pretty tight.  Looking forward to this one.  I'll just have to take my time w/ the cockpit & landing gear because I guess the fit can be a little fiddly.  

(Edit: After verification via walkaround photos, the "discrepancy" I noted in the horizontal stabs is in fact correct.  No extra work for me!)

50235686827_ffdfc803a3_c.jpg

• Like 10

5 hours ago, trickyrich said:

mmmm plus I like the way you sneaked the the Phantom in!!! :D

And the Cobra.  ;)

I did a little bit of work on just about everything this weekend.  Decal touchup & weapon painting on the Cobra, gloss seal coat over the decals on the Phantom, forward fuselage & scribe work on the Hustler, and interior priming on the Mitchell.  I don't think I sat in any one spot for more than 40 minutes.  :lol:

• Haha 1

Just stumbled across a walkaround that gives a good shot of the horizontal stabs.  And turns out the plane actually does have asymmetrical blisters (port side lower/ starboard side top).  Happy days!  The back up plan if things weren't actually that way was going to be to shave both of them off.  Looks like I don't have to worry about that now.  :coolio:

Link to said walkaround: https://travelforaircraft.wordpress.com/2011/10/12/grumman-ov-1b-mohawk-walkaround-write/ 

• Like 3

I've still got it taped up.  I can get a comparison next to a Mirage, Dauntless, and Hustler tonight after I get home.  It's definitely bigger than I was expecting too.  Probably why it wasn't so much of a FAC as it was a recon/intel aircraft.  The little bit I've read up on them they did a lot of night time surveillance flights, hence the long sensor pod on the starboard fuselage.

• Like 2

She really is a pretty big bird.  It also really makes you appreciate how much of a little pocket rocket the Mirage is.

Mohawk > Dauntless > Hustler > Vigilante > Mirage IIIO

50242558688_62e8dabcbb_c.jpg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Also makes you realise how many unfinished projects you have Chris. :) 

That's not even scratching the iceburg.....:S

I "should" stop taking part in new GBs.....but where is the fun in that.  :lol:

• Haha 2

Thinking on it now I could've petitioned TR to bring in my Crusader & Vigi as WIPs...as both those aircraft are being built in markings that served over Vietnam.  But I'm committed now, I've done gone and set up this post.  :lol:

• Haha 1

On 8/19/2020 at 11:54 PM, helios16v said:

Thinking on it now I could've petitioned TR to bring in my Crusader & Vigi as WIPs...as both those aircraft are being built in markings that served over Vietnam.  But I'm committed now, I've done gone and set up this post.  :lol:

consider it done!!!! :D  ........and there's nothing stopping you for building them........as I keep trying to tell you....there is no life outside modelling!! :D

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

consider it done!!!! :D  ........and there's nothing stopping you for building them........as I keep trying to tell you....there is no life outside modelling!! :D

That was in reference to doing those instead of the Mohawk.  I think I'd probably get lynched if I tried to back out of this one now.  :hanging:

I'll certainly look into bringing one of them in if I finish up early and get caught up on some of the other builds.

• Haha 2

Underway as of a couple hours ago.  I've been trying to get the RF-4 & Cobra towards completion, so getting a bit later start than I was intending.

50257093336_ab136ac834_c.jpg

• Like 1