Fire extinguishers

TonyOD

My current build, a WW2 Fairey Barracuda, includes a little resin fire extinguisher to go in the cockpit. I was about to paint it red, because that’s what colour fire extinguishers are, right? Would it be correct to do this? 🤔

No, fire extinguishers were coloured according to content. Red is water. These days they are coloured red with a coloured band denoting content.

Edited by 303sqn

2 hours ago, TonyOD said:

My current build, a WW2 Fairey Barracuda, includes a little resin fire extinguisher to go in the cockpit. I was about to paint it red, because that’s what colour fire extinguishers are, right? Would it be correct to do this? 🤔

Cant speak for this aircraft but the handheld extinguisher on the Mosquito was natural brass. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 303sqn said:

No, fire extinguishers were coloured according to content. Red is water. These days they are coloured red with a coloured band denoting content.

Sorry, I wasn’t clear, I know that fire extinguishers come in different colours, just that the popular conception is that they’re red. As I type “fire extinguisher” on my phone a little red fire extinguisher emoji 🧯 appears 😁.

Edited by TonyOD

6 hours ago, 11bravo said:

Cant speak for this aircraft but the handheld extinguisher on the Mosquito was natural brass. 

Seems like a more likely punt somehow. Said fire extinguisher will be all but invisible once the canopy’s on BTW.

1 minute ago, TonyOD said:

Sorry, I wasn’t clear, I know that fire extinguishers come in different colours, just that the popular conception is that they’re red. As a type “fire extinguisher” on my phone a little red fire extinguisher emoji 🧯 appears 😁.

I think coloured fire extinguishers came in well after the war.  I believe the colours are/were, Red=Water, Black= CO2, Cream=Foam, Blue=Dry powder, Green=BCF(?).  Now it seems the body of the vessel is red with a coloured label.  I’m sure someone in the know can correct the list and supply the usage for each.

in terms of the handheld cockpit extinguisher for you Barracuda - my understanding is brass too...

12 minutes ago, Grey Beema said:

I think coloured fire extinguishers came in well after the war.  I believe the colours are/were, Red=Water, Black= CO2, Cream=Foam, Blue=Dry powder, Green=BCF(?).  Now it seems the body of the vessel is red with a coloured label.  I’m sure someone in the know can correct the list and supply the usage for each.

in terms of the handheld cockpit extinguisher for you Barracuda - my understanding is brass too...

I’m sure you’re right that the colours came in after the war, well after probably. I remember learning the different colours when I was doing my “fireman” badge in the scouts. I’m going to go with brass I think.

This extinguisher would have been quite big if the size is right (it’s about 8mm high = 58cm to scale) but who knows?  

spacer.png

7 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

And where it’s tucked away (RHS of Cockpit under the Oxygen regulator) I think you’re right, the seat will obscure it.

The instructions have it standing upright to the left of the rearmost crew member, but I don't think the interior on this kit is much to shout about accuracy- or detail-wise.

spacer.png

19 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

Sorry I was referring to the one in the pilots cockpit rather then Observer / TAG cockpit.

...if there's a fire in the cockpit of my Barra the pilot is going to have to use his imagination to put it out.

• Like 1

The engine fire extinguisher on the Lightning was a peacock blue in colour and no it wasn't dry powered ether  also seam to remember the Tornado was a similar colour.

aircraft extinguisher's don't follow the domestic colours exactly  

Barracuda hand held fire extinguishers were a dull brick red colour and a natural brass coloured head, not too dissimilar to those still used today. It didn’t have a funnel type nozzle. We have an original one as part of the Fairey Barracuda restoration at the Fleet Air Arm Museum.