My first ever kit revisited: Airfix Jetstream

Hi all,

I'm afraid I've blown it.  I'm sorry about that, there was a good deal of enthusiasm expressed here and I appreciate that.  At the end of the day though it was my fault for leaving it so late.  I seem to have got cold feet somehow.  Lesson learnt for my next GB.

Here's a general view

IMG_1124-Jetstream-overall

I wasn't looking forward to removing the masking fluid and my fears were borne out on the windscreen which I had oh-so-carefully masked.  The pillars are all over the place.  Fortunately this one's only glue'n'glazed in place and I have a spare.

IMG_1120-Jetstream-nose-left

IMG_1121-Jetstream-nose-right

Oddly enough, the cabin windows turned out reasonably neat.  I was also quite pleased about the fit I managed to achieve with the cargo doors.

In addition, the silver I was using, American Art Clay's Brush'n'Leaf, appears to have etched the plastic, and I don't think a sealing coat of Klear would have saved it.

IMG_1122_Jetstream-wing

IMG_1123-Jetstream-tail

I will complete the model sometime soon, but I'll strip it back to bare plastic and repaint.  Given that I have three A-Model Jetstreams, an An-124 and an An-225, the latter two with vast expanses of gloss white, I think it really is time I got a compressor for my airbrush.

Thanks again everyone for your kind words and good wishes.  

Edited by JosephLalor
  • Like 5

23 hours ago, JosephLalor said:

Tan and two greens occurred to me too, though I did wonder if such an aircraft would be used for in-theatre casevac.  There are plenty of military guys on here who would have a much better idea than me on that.

That's how I did mine.  With the two-letter tail code HP, of course.  Casevac was only one of the role the USAAF had in mind, it was a bit surprising that Airfix chose that one. perhaps because it was seen as more military.  I don't really see the C-10A as a front-line casevac aircraft either, not STOL enough, but it could have been used for second-line or home base transfer, though.  I still think the RAF missed a trick in not picking up the 11 spare airframes cheap to replace the Pembroke - not that the Government would have allowed it, of course.

• Like 1