Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hello all,

 

Biting off more than I can chew no doubt, but here is my second entry (well second thread anyway :lol: ) for this Group build, actually consisting of two kits....as you can probably tell from the title... and you have probably also deciphered that it's a pair of F-4 Phantoms for Close Air Support (CAS). If you didn't know, you do now!

 

Both Academy kits, one USMC, the other USAF. First up, F-4B 152258 of VMFA-323 'Death Rattlers' in 1967:

 

50223179906_134c6d9fb1_b.jpg

50223280726_3d41c81e00_b.jpg

 

Aftermarket:

 

50222533078_7304fd7a1f_b.jpg

 

I'll be using Eduard etch, Eduard Mask, Quickboost FOD covers, Brassin MK.77 Napalm canisters, Hypersonic Models ejection seats, a mixture of Eduard, Microscale and Academy decals along with some MK.82s (the kit ones look a bit off to me) and twin shot Zuni rocket pods from the spares.

 

She'll be fully loaded for a Close Air Support mission - 6x MK.77 (stay with me on that one), 6x MK.82, 2x Zuni pods on the inner AIM-9 rails and 1x fuel tank.

 

Another Osprey book for some reference:

 

50223405557_eb436dc4d5_b.jpg

 

Regarding the Napalm, check out the below  showing the some Marine Phantoms with 3x MK.77s on MERs on the outer pylons:

 

https://danangafb.blogspot.com/2017/06/jun-6th-f-4-phantoms.html

152258 / 6. Loaded with napalm.

 

The above is the jet I'll be depicting, although sporting a black nose during an earlier tour in 1966,  I'm going to do mine with a white nose as per the Eduard instructions during 1967:

 

50223561797_13c2d6ea21_b.jpg

 

The second kit is Academy's F-4C, marked as 64-0776 of the 389th Tactical Fighter Squadron, 366th Tactical Fighter Wing 'Gunfighters' based at Da Nang during 1967. 64-0776 shot down two Mig-21s on the 22nd May 1967, using an AIM-9B and 20mm cannon mounted on the centre fuselage station. This jet is now on display at the Museum of Flight, in Seattle, Washington (I had a trip here planned for next month, but you know what got in the way).

50223403657_acd5187ee2_b.jpg

50222532553_26e115864e_b.jpg

 

Aftermarket:

 

50223178696_d4e3d68f9c_b.jpg

 

I'll be using Eduard etch, Hypersonic Models ejection seats, Quickboost FOD covers (from the spares), Top Notch camouflage mask, New Ware paint mask and the fantastic Furball Gunfighter Phantoms decal sheet. Close up of the decals and scheme:

 

50223178436_bbce0b726a_b.jpg

50222531793_8a2f6f0915_b.jpg

 

She carries 3 red stars for some reason... I'll also be adding the Gunfighter badge, as Furball suggest this would likely have adorned the jet before it was transferred to the 347th TFW in 1968. I'll be loading this one with 6x M117 750lb bombs (Hasegawa, from the spares), 4x AIM-7 Sparrow, 2x fuel tanks and 1x SUU-16/A 20mm cannon pod.

 

A lot of building across the 3 kits for the GB... hopefully I can get them all done!

 

Cheers

 

Dave

  • Like 10
Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh wow!!!!

 

2 very yummy builds and lots of AM to boot as well!!!! :wub:

 

Arr so the "C" version comes in the "Matchbox" multi-colour plastic as well!! Not sure I like that multi-colour stuff, I made certain I got the ordinary plain one for my "B" model. 

 

I do though like your AM stuff, will have to make a list from yours for when I finally do mine.

 

Good luck with these builds, will be very interested to see how they come together.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

wow double Phantom build!

I will follow with a loooot of interest

ciao

Ale

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Oh wow!!!!

 

2 very yummy builds and lots of AM to boot as well!!!! :wub:

 

Arr so the "C" version comes in the "Matchbox" multi-colour plastic as well!! Not sure I like that multi-colour stuff, I made certain I got the ordinary plain one for my "B" model. 

 

I do though like your AM stuff, will have to make a list from yours for when I finally do mine.

 

Good luck with these builds, will be very interested to see how they come together.

Cheers Rich. Agree, the multicolour plastic is rubbish but the details throughout the kit are very nice and the AM should spice it up nicely.

6 hours ago, Ale85 said:

wow double Phantom build!

I will follow with a loooot of interest

ciao

Ale

Thanks Ale!

5 hours ago, reini said:

Cool stuff! That is interesting load out on the F-4B, should look pretty awesome.

Hopefully. Heavily loaded and weathered...my favourite!

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Blimey Dave you are going to be busy aren't you!

With these and your A-6 you have a lot of plastic to deal with.

Great to see a USMC bird being built, especially as it is carrying lots of munitions.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Blimey Dave you are going to be busy aren't you!

With these and your A-6 you have a lot of plastic to deal with.

Great to see a USMC bird being built, especially as it is carrying lots of munitions.

Thanks mate.

 

Might be 'too' busy! I've still 2 Spitfires to build for the BoB GB!

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Good lord dave, you wont be taking phone calls and you'll  probably have to maintain radio silence for concentration, these are two major builds you've  set yourself up for, you didn't  sign up for the tornado gb too did you🤗

Craic apart , I'm  interested,  i hope they  both go smoothly👍

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hewy said:

Good lord dave, you wont be taking phone calls and you'll  probably have to maintain radio silence for concentration, these are two major builds you've  set yourself up for, you didn't  sign up for the tornado gb too did you🤗

Craic apart , I'm  interested,  i hope they  both go smoothly👍

Thanks mate!

 

Not in for the Tornado GB but have 2 Spits to finish and I’m signed up for the interceptor GB later this year...not to mention another entry for this one :lol:

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, diases said:

I have the coral sea model, and really interested in your after market selection.

Good luck

 

Paul

Thanks Paul. Hope I can do the kits justice!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Watch your cuts on the landing gear legs. The little actuator struts are pretty fragile.

 

I built my kit maybe six years ago so maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I think the landing gear goes into the wings before you attach them. I must have had the legs or something installed askew and didn't realize until later and my phantom is a bit pigeon-toed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, SoftScience said:

Watch your cuts on the landing gear legs. The little actuator struts are pretty fragile.

 

I built my kit maybe six years ago so maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I think the landing gear goes into the wings before you attach them. I must have had the legs or something installed askew and didn't realize until later and my phantom is a bit pigeon-toed.

Thanks for the heads up! I always seem to break actuators :doh:

2 minutes ago, wimbledon99 said:

All that aftermarket!! :inlove:

 

 

Needs must :lol:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, SoftScience said:

Watch your cuts on the landing gear legs. The little actuator struts are pretty fragile.

 

I built my kit maybe six years ago so maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I think the landing gear goes into the wings before you attach them. I must have had the legs or something installed askew and didn't realize until later and my phantom is a bit pigeon-toed.

I think it is possible to add the legs after glueing the two wing halves together but it might involve shaving a "smidgeon" off the rear part of the top of the strut.  I'm currently experimenting with the same issue on an Academy F-4J that will soon appear in this GB.  Careful taping of the wings and trying to fit the legs is needed.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...