Lockheed L-14H ex SP-BPM | MPM 1:72

My inspiration: Lockheed L-14H Super Electra ex SP-BPM, June 1940, France. Or better said, its sad remains.

kgrhqnhjdkendgl8wbpkmrrup60_12.jpg&x=800

Mf6qUi.jpg

ptxWni.jpg

bXPxeS.jpg

Pictures from here and Odkrywca.pl forum.

I've used the A-29 / PBO-1 Hudson, released for the first time in 2010, which fitted my needs because of the additional frame with the engines and their covers appropriate for a Polish L-14H. A typical short-run from those years, quite "soapy" details, simplifications, poor fit, specific geometry. In addition, many versions of the aircraft can be made from one box, including the civilian Super Electra - which has its consequences in making it difficult to build (additional parts matching challenges).

A resin cockpit made by CMK, control yokes made of some wire and Plastruct profiles, a wall between the cockpit and the passenger compartment with its doors, seats in the cabin (from Ju-52), and Eduard seat-belts, luggage nets over the seats, imitation of the air vents, new wall and doors between the passenger compartment, and the toilet. New entrance doors with the window were made of HIPS and clear acetate sheet.

The nose part did not match the width and shape of the cross section of the fuselage, it had to be adjusted and lot of putty went here, it was also too pointed – this was corrected as well. This section was devoid of any panel lines, these had to be scribed on, as were the other panel lines specific to the civilian Super Electra, especially the luggage compartments.

I also riveted in the whole airframe, one can hardly see it but that's OK.

Glazing of the pilot's cabin made according to the photos of the actual machine, also the upper part has got the windows, but unlike the ones in the Hudson - the windows are smaller, the frames of the upper part of the glazing are flat and wider. I have also added the air deflectors on the windshield.

I replaced the wheels with resin parts from CMK (for the P-51D Mustang in 1:48th scale), with the appropriate pattern tread. They are a bit skinny and small, but it does not spoil the final appearance too much. I tried to make the hubcaps similar to those from the SP-BPM photos.

Also added the position lights on the wingtips and the tail (it was necessary to file the strange bulge proposed in this place by MPM), and the fuel dump installation.

Painted with Lifecolor paints. 

That's it. I enjoyed the build very much, as well as revealing history behind this particular camouflage scheme, applied to the SP-BPM in France in March of 1940.

TFTV6Y.jpg

poaReR.jpg

6T8OlM.jpg

vsatwH.jpg

EeexA8.jpg

dcDb83.jpg

QaN7Xl.jpg

a3hkJY.jpg

lI33Ev.jpg

yLVkzm.jpg

dHTIZ9.jpg

Best, Hubert

Edited by Hubert
  • Like 40
  • Thanks 1

You did a very good job with this one. I have built the Hudson myself, and the Special Hobby Lodestar which shares most parts (both in BOAC markings). They are not easy kits to build.

Nils

• Like 1

What the others have said, and it sure does look different in those colors and markings. Not the best kit to work with, I have heard, but you have made a real gem out of it!

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
corrected spelling
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

That is a stellar finish!!!!  Wow.  To szkoda że ten samolot został niszczony w traktie RAFskiego nalotu nad aerodromem (wedlug niemieckiego wypisu przy fotografie).  

That's an interesting note indeed. However, I don't think it was the case.

The fate of SP-BPM in May and June 1940 is unknown to me, no sources available. What we know is that in the beginning of May 1940 the British wanted to buy two Polish L-14s, SP-BNF (which was actually sold to BOAC), and SP-BPM, which was to be ferried from France by British pilots. 

Apart from the photos mentioned at the beginning, taken by the Germans after  they entered Paris, there is an also interesting note at the website devoted to air accidents (https://www.asndata.aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19400699-0), where one can read that the plane was probably damaged (shot down?) near Paris on June 15, 1940 and captured by the Germans in a irreparable state. No source of this information. 

Or maybe the plane was destroyed in the hangar, where it was standing, grounded with a damaged engine (as some sources say), not known since when?

The heavy bombing of Paris took place on June 3rd , there are the reports of bombs that fell behind Le Bourget airport, followed by smoke from five fires. Probably it was when some of the the planes in the hangars burned down, including Potez in the photo taken by a German tourist / aviator on June 14, 1940 at the earliest. However, I did not find in the network (newspapers, etc.) reports of further bombings of Le Bourget in June of 1940, especially by the British RAF.

On June 12th, the Germans were negotiating with the French, and on the 13th  Paris was declared an open city. The Germans entered Paris on 14th.

I guess that the wreckage of the SP-BPM was first placed in separate pieces in the already damaged hangar and then dragged outside as the other wrecks were gradually removed for scrapping - see the photo of the wing in the hangar surrounded by other debris, and then outside. What the French wanted to achieve by moving these wrecks, it's hard to say. Although after June 14th , these decisions could already had been made by the new "administrators".

One more photo, the interior just before closing the fuselage.

671a0j.jpg

More photos and full story at my blog.

Thanks for all comments, glad that you like it :)

Edited by Hubert
  • Like 6

Very interesting additional story. BTW - it is interesting that the Polish check-board insignia has a correct, I mean pre-war orientation, with red on left upper corner,not the "French style" rotated by 90 degree...

On this photo

kgrhqnhjdkendgl8wbpkmrrup60_12.jpg&x=800

the dark spot left from tail night suggest, that fire took place right here.  On the other hand the walls are to white as for place after big fire...

Regards

J-W

• Like 1

From my book "The Stockholm Run":

The three LOT aircraft were impressed by the NAC. SP-BPM was lost during the Battle of France in June 1940. It was reportedly abandoned at Paris Airport with a damaged engine and was captured by the Germans. Some sources state that it was shot down near Paris on 15 June. The other two aircraft were eventually transferred to BOAC and used on the Stockholm run. SP-LMK Lublin became G-AGAV on the British register, while SP-BNF Łowicz became G-AGBG. Both aircraft retained their Polish names in BOAC service since their first letter corresponded with the Corporation’s “L” Class designation. G-AGBG, often referred to as “BG”, was nicknamed by those who flew her as “Bashful Gertie, the Terror of the Skagerrak” She would survive the war and eventually end up on the Swedish register as SE-BTN, based at Bromma from where she had made many flights to during the war. She was destroyed in an accident at Bromma 14 July 1951, killing four people.

Nils

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 14/08/2020 at 09:19, JWM said:

Very interesting additional story. BTW - it is interesting that the Polish check-board insignia has a correct, I mean pre-war orientation, with red on left upper corner,not the "French style" rotated by 90 degree...

On this photo

the dark spot left from tail night suggest, that fire took place right here.  On the other hand the walls are to white as for place after big fire...

Regards

J-W

Polish Insignia were correctly applied, due to the fact, that it has been done by the Polish, not by the French. 

That indicates also, that it was a Polish machine, not French.

There is a lot of debris around the remains of the fuselage, but the fact that the wing has been put in the other corner of the hangar suggests, that it could burn somewhere else and later moved into the hangar.

Many thanks for all comments, very much appreciated :)

Best, Hubert

• Like 3