1/48 A-6A Intruder, VA-75 'Sunday Punchers.' Finished 13/11.

DaveJL

2 hours ago, DaveJL said:

Is there much work with the Kittyhawk H-60 kits? I was looking at the HH-60 in the near future.

Hmmmm how to answer this and not get banned for life!!

1, open box....looks amazing inside, masses of bits , huge booklet for instructions, big full colour sheet showing colour schemes....all looks fantastic :wub:  , celebrate with a glass/mug of fav beverage......

2, then notice so flash around bits, moulds already starting to show age, 2019 model????.........injection pins all over mating surfaces.........locating pins missing and holes not present......hmmm it may need a bit more work than thought, but still looks great, have a couple of drinks to ponder over it:unsure:   .........

3, start construction (this'll take weeks..trust me), things sort of don't quite fit........some part numbers don't line up.......some parts don't line up........some parts you don't know where/how they're suppose to go/fit........those reviews just raved about this model, you sure you bought the same model........guess model is still sort of ok, but 🥴  .......have moved to stronger stuff and more of it........

4, realize you actually don't own enough clamps.....start using CA cement to try and hold bits together.....must then leave for days before it's safe enough to remove clamps  :door: .......realised assembling the rotor this early was not one of life better moves....given up on the instructions, start drinking more.......start to notice that model doesn't seem to match any reference photos, start to wonder if they ever looked at them!!.............WHY?????? :wall:........realize it doesn't look any better out of the bottom of a glass........

5, .......when will this ever end....realize you're spending more time researching and trying to correct inaccuracies than actually building the model........the instruction just lie to you so burn them......you've lost count of how many times you've broken bits off........painting it doesn't make it any better..........found more inaccuracies after painting........people avoid you because you are angry all the time  :angry:........plot your revenge on those reviewers  :boom: ........get drinks delivered by the case and are of first name basis with the driver.............

6, :fuyou_2: KH....bin it!!!!!!.........give up drinking and take up relaxing hobby of Bee keeping!!!

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Hmmmm how to answer this and not get banned for life!!

1, open box....looks amazing inside, masses of bits , huge booklet for instructions, big full colour sheet showing colour schemes....all looks fantastic :wub:  , celebrate with a glass/mug of fav beverage......

2, then notice so flash around bits, moulds already starting to show age, 2019 model????.........injection pins all over mating surfaces.........locating pins missing and holes not present......hmmm it may need a bit more work than thought, but still looks great, have a couple of drinks to ponder over it:unsure:   .........

3, start construction (this'll take weeks..trust me), things sort of don't quite fit........some part numbers don't line up.......some parts don't line up........some parts you don't know where/how they're suppose to go/fit........those reviews just raved about this model, you sure you bought the same model........guess model is still sort of ok, but 🥴  .......have moved to stronger stuff and more of it........

4, realize you actually don't own enough clamps.....start using CA cement to try and hold bits together.....must then leave for days before it's safe enough to remove clamps  :door: .......realised assembling the rotor this early was not one of life better moves....given up on the instructions, start drinking more.......start to notice that model doesn't seem to match any reference photos, start to wonder if they ever looked at them!!.............WHY?????? :wall:........realize it doesn't look any better out of the bottom of a glass........

5, .......when will this ever end....realize you're spending more time researching and trying to correct inaccuracies than actually building the model........the instruction just lie to you so burn them......you've lost count of how many times you've broken bits off........painting it doesn't make it any better..........found more inaccuracies after painting........people avoid you because you are angry all the time  :angry:........plot your revenge on those reviewers  :boom: ........get drinks delivered by the case and are of first name basis with the driver.............

6, :fuyou_2: KH....bin it!!!!!!.........give up drinking and take up relaxing hobby of Bee keeping!!!

Sounds like a familiar story, though it seems like you’re doing well cracking on with it, I’d probably have chucked it by now! I’d read a few good reviews about their MH-6 and one or two others but builders reviews on here are usually more honest! I’ve their F-35B in the stash that I’ll just have to stick with.

Bit of an update and I think, think, all the fuselage clean up etc has been finished. A coat of Tamiya primer should determine if it's acceptable or not!

50432330763_184beea109_b.jpg

50433023786_18579622cc_b.jpg

50433192617_94d928d857_b.jpg

Last bit to do is to add the windscreen and mask up. I'll be leaving off the refuelling probe until after painting as this will make it easier for demarcation between the black nose along with the area around the windscreen and the Gull Grey probe.

Getting there!

More soon

Dave

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Looks great Dave.

Good idea leaving off the refueling probe for now, just asking for trouble to fit it at the minute.

Thanks mate. I've experience with a Rafale and the probe getting knocked off more times than I could count! :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Don't forget to re-scribe your hook fairing after your putty job.  ;)

Looks great. 

You got me going back and looking for a E TRAM & first release Kinetic Prowler (w/ the folding wing option).....damn you.  :blink2:

5 hours ago, helios16v said:

Don't forget to re-scribe your hook fairing after your putty job.  ;)

Looks great. 

You got me going back and looking for a E TRAM & first release Kinetic Prowler (w/ the folding wing option).....damn you.  :blink2:

Thanks mate! Will be going round the fairing with a pencil once the white paint is on. Should be easier to see the outline :lol: 

I wouldn't mind doing another Prowler myself. I built a Kinetic one about 5 years ago and remember it was a bit of a pig...but hopefully my skills have improved a bit since then 😆

Managed a couple of hours at the bench today. The windscreen went on after some fettling, requiring some Mr Dissolved Putty around one side, but nothing major. After that I just masked up the cockpit, intakes and exhausts as well as fitting the main struts for the folded wing mechanism. 

50441272893_5b5923fb79_b.jpg

50441272638_1d804e0a84_b.jpg

50441966831_59e81eca9a_b.jpg

Hoping to get a lick of primer on that tomorrow to see if any further clean up is needed. Aside from that, the mass of bombs and other sub assemblies will hopefully get sprayed over the weekend:

50442146617_6bdc6714c9_b.jpg

More soon.

Dave

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Good to see that you're ready for primer Dave, looks very good to me mate.

Nice display of ordnance, this is going to be one well laden Intruder.

Thanks mate. Will be good to see the horrible colour mixes of fillers etc gone!

A bombed up Intruder is the only Intruder :lol:

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, DaveJL said:

Mr Dissolved Putty

Never heard of this before.  A bit of research tells me that it would be very useful, so I  have some winging its way towards me even as we speak!  :thumbsup:   Thanks Dave. 

1 minute ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Never heard of this before.  A bit of research tells me that it would be very useful, so I  have some winging its way towards me even as we speak!  :thumbsup:   Thanks Dave. 

:lol:

I hadn't heard of it until a couple of months ago. Is proving very useful. Self levels very well and requires minimal clean up, but it does shrink as the moisture evaporates so a good helping is sometimes needed!

• Thanks 1

gee that's a mass of bombs.......actually what do you call a lot of bombs?

A "Cluster of Bombs", a "British Leyland Club Meet", "Building Renovators"? :D

I haven't seen that putty before, the moisture shrinkage is a bit of a concern, I wonder how it stands up to lacquer paints like MRP? So far all the fillers I use seem to stick noticeably when this paint comes in contact with them if I use anything more than a smear! I did see the MRP has just released their own liquid filler, Mr. Filler. I meant to get some the other day to try but forgot! :doh:

1 minute ago, trickyrich said:

gee that's a mass of bombs.......actually what do you call a lot of bombs?

A "Cluster of Bombs", a "British Leyland Club Meet", "Building Renovators"? :D

I haven't seen that putty before, the moisture shrinkage is a bit of a concern, I wonder how it stands up to lacquer paints like MRP? So far all the fillers I use seem to stick noticeably when this paint comes in contact with them if I use anything more than a smear! I did see the MRP has just released their own liquid filler, Mr. Filler. I meant to get some the other day to try but forgot! :doh:

The phrase that I'd use wouldn't be suitable for a public forum :lol: so I'll just go with a 'large quantity of bombs'!!

I was skeptical about the putty too but it is very good for small areas. I still standby my Squadron green for bigger jobs, it hasn't failed me in many years! But the MDP is handy for those awkward to sand areas. I've used it on one of my Spitfire builds and under primer etc there was no issue. I just made sure it had plenty of time to set fully.

I must have a look for the MRP filler next time I'm ordering a batch.

2 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

In this case the U.S.Navy earth moving society. 

I like that Dennis!

• Like 2

Hi,

Given that they appear to be Rockeyes then perhaps a "cluster" of cluster bombs would be a bit much😆. I must admit I am a little surprised that the Mk 20 Rockeye II variant of the Mk 7 dispenser was so popular in Vietnam as the bomblets were primarily anti - armour as I understand it and the VC were a bit light on tanks  until late in the war I believe. The SUU-30 series of anti personnel CB's would seem to make more sense.

Pete

Edited by PeterB

On 10/9/2020 at 11:25 PM, PeterB said:

Hi,

Given that they appear to be Rockeyes then perhaps a "cluster" of cluster bombs would be a bit much😆. I must admit I am a little surprised that the Mk 20 Rockeye II variant of the Mk 7 dispenser was so popular in Vietnam as the bomblets were primarily anti - armour as I understand it and the VC were a bit light on tanks  until late in the war I believe. The SUU-30 series of anti personnel CB's would seem to make more sense.

Pete

Maybe just a case of they had plenty to use!

Over the last two days I've primed everything (some clean ups needed on the airframe 😬 ) so I cracked on with the sub assemblies. Landing gear first:

50452579051_07464a9dd7_b.jpg

Followed by the superb Hypersonic GRU-5 seats:

50452578161_3185630eb5_b.jpg

50452577741_880d0b59e1_b.jpg

Placards from the Eduard set were added to the sides of the headrest. Pylons were next. I weathered these up with a Flory Models wash and some Abteilung oils, to replicate that grimy appearance of a well used part:

50451870383_e1d7245e86_b.jpg

Fuel tank, with decals from the Furball sheet added and again, some wash and oils to dirty it up a bit:

50451870108_9d8490c647_b.jpg

Undercarriage doors. Note, you'll need to add the small light (painted red) to the front landing gear door as this is absent in the instructions. P3, the small tear drop looking part.

50452740337_a018212727_b.jpg

Finally, the bombs. The MK20s were a pain to get good coverage over. After the decals went on I applied a wash to break up the solid white.

50451869873_ce68919731_b.jpg

Hoping to get a pre-shade on the airframe over the next couple of days then start painting. Might need another pot or two of white at this rate!

Dave

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Well that all looks really good to me Dave.

The seats look very nice indeed after being painted, shows off the high quality of the moulding very well.

The pylons and weapons are great too, very nicely weathered pylons.

Cheers mate! I'm happy with how it's sitting so far. A lot more painting ahead!

• Like 1

High Dave,

Glad you picked up on the fact that USN Rockeyes were painted gray or perhaos white unlike USAF ones which were OD. For the record , late in war after a number of devastating fires on board carriers when munitions cooked off, the Navy started applying an "ablative coating" to their bombs which made them a bit rough/lumpy looking, but reduced the risk of them exploding in a fire. I am probably totally wrong, but I seem to recall that they were painted blue - anybody have any info?

Pete

Edited by PeterB

1 hour ago, PeterB said:

I am probably totally wrong, but I seem to recall that they were painted blue - anybody have any info?

U.S.Munitions painted blue are all training rounds and inert. Active would be the base color with a set of stripes either yellow, red, or brown ? Someone more knowledgable will be along shortly with a better explanation. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PeterB said:

High Dave,

Glad you picked up on the fact that USN Rockeyes were painted gray or perhaos white unlike USAF ones which were OD. For the record , late in war after a number of devastating fires on board carriers when munitions cooked off, the Navy started applying an "ablative coating" to their bombs which made them a bit rough/lumpy looking, but reduced the risk of them exploding in a fire. I am probably totally wrong, but I seem to recall that they were painted blue - anybody have any info?

Pete

Thanks mate. The HB instructions call for white for the MK20s and there's a few good pictures in the Osprey book. Regarding the blue bombs, as Dennis says below, blue bands indicate training rounds, same goes for missiles etc. Live bombs have yellow bands, anything from a single to three depending on the type of munition.

10 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

U.S.Munitions painted blue are all training rounds and inert. Active would be the base color with a set of stripes either yellow, red, or brown ? Someone more knowledgable will be along shortly with a better explanation. 

• Like 2