M551 Sheridan

Enzo the Magnificent

Another type I built as a callow youth - again from the Airfix kit - and always wanted to build again.   You can see how this with attract a callow youth.  That huge calibre gun doesn't just fire shells.  It fires missiles as well.  :lol:   

But in the interests of historical accuracy, the fire control system for the missile wasn't mature enough for use in Vietnam.

Nevertheless, this build will be a Vietnam era Sheridan from the 1/35 Tamiya kit.

spacer.png

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Strangely I have always liked this tank, despite it's sketchy operational career

The Sheridan didn't exactly cover itself with glory during the Vietnam war.  :fraidnot:  However, it seemed to redeem itself as a recce vehicle in Panama and Desert Storm.

I have been toying with the idea of a follow-up build in the Desert Storm GB, but let's not get ahead of ourselves...  :lol: 

• Like 3

arrr snap!!

I built the same Airfix model as a kids as well! There was something about this tank I really like......I may just have to get me another one, one of these days, 1/35th of course.

Good luck with the build.

• Like 2

Hi Enzo,

I dug out my old Airfix build a while back with a view to updating the paint scheme - considering the problems it had it lasted quite a long time and survived long enough to be painted in the "modern" multi colour scheme when used as a scout I believe, which might make it look a little more interesting than the current plain OD scheme I have it in.

Can't enter it in this however due to the 25% rule but will watch yours with interest.

Cheers

Pete

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PeterB said:

Hi Enzo,

I dug out my old Airfix build a while back with a view to updating the paint scheme - considering the problems it had it lasted quite a long time and survived long enough to be painted in the "modern" multi colour scheme when used as a scout I believe, which might make it look a little more interesting than the current plain OD scheme I have it in.

Can't enter it in this however due to the 25% rule but will watch yours with interest.

Cheers

Pete

Pete, I have no problems with you building it in this GB, you just will not eligible to go into the gallery.

• Like 2

Thanks Rich but the paint scheme will be far later than 'Nam. More like the US version of the Nato scheme with tan, black and 2 greens I believe.

Pete

• 2 months later...

Time to update this build thread.

Let's look at the sprues.   Typical Tamiya with nothing that looks like it could preent a problem.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

A piece of plastic mesh is included to represent the anti-RPG fence.

spacer.png

But I will be using the seperate set with PE and a metal barrel.

spacer.png

• Like 2

And off we go!

As usual, I added ballast to the lower hull.  It is not necessary. I just like my tank models to weigh a bit.

spacer.png

I then added the suspension parts and axles.

spacer.png

Then simply following the instructions to build up the hull and turret.  A quick easy build. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2

There is an oddity with this kit.  The locating holes for the turret details are not moulded.  Instead you get moulded circles where they should be which have to be drilled out.  Not exactly a difficult operation.  Building the ammo boxes is a little fiddly, however.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

A quick coat of grey auto primer and we're ready for the paintshop.

spacer.png

• Like 4

gosh she has gone together quickly and really does look the part, nicely do so far! :thumbsup:

This is the first time I've seen the new-tooled version of this model. The detail looks to be crisper than the old one, interesting idea with the tracks, no more rubberbands to fight with...or try to join.

Those AM bits do look very nice!

Strangely I've just acquired the RyeField model release of the M551, I'll do min as a Gulf War version.

• Like 1

Sprayed overall with Lifecolor UA-219 Olive Drab.

spacer.png

The tyres were then painted dark grey.  The track links were sprayed with Vallejo Panzer Aces 304 Track Primer.

spacer.png

And then fitted.  I wish all ytank kits had tracks that were as easy to fit as this.   The rubber pads on the tracks were drybrushed with the same dark grey used for the tyres.

spacer.png

Some weathering has been done with Wilder weathering oils

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3

On 11/14/2020 at 12:01 PM, Angus Tura said:

Very nice, Enzo. I'm looking forward to seeing this done. The old Airfix version was a particular favourite in my youth,

Alan

Mine too.....looking forward to this one being completed 🙂

gee she has come together really nicely, the whole look of her changed once you sprayed her in OD.

Great job Enzo, can't wait to see her finished.

I still ave my old Airfix M551 model packed away somewhere, it has seen better days..... my new RyeField Models one has just shown up....  :wub:

• 1 month later...

Well done Enzo!!!  :thumbsup:

She looks awesome and the figures really finish her off.

You had me worried for a while as to whether this would make it or not.....but I know, I should have had faith in Enzo. What's the saying, "in Enzo we trust"! :D

• Haha 1